Software to compare photos side by side

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Ellsass, May 18, 2014.

1. Ellsass

Ellsass Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    I took several test shots with two different bodies and I'd like to compare the results side by side a la DPReview's studio scene tool. Specifically, I'd like to zoom them up to 100% size with the ability to pan around the images while keeping the views in sync.

I have Lightroom 5 but the comparison view only zooms to ~50% unless I am overlooking some setting. I also have Photoshop. I'm looking for a free Mac or web app if the other two won't do it for me.

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    LR will magnify higher if you adjust the display ratio. FastStone is also a handy program.

--Ken

3. Ellsass

Ellsass Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    Apparently I had the toolbar hidden which shows some zoom options. Using another image viewer that shows me the actual zoom level and comparing the size of the subject to Lightroom, it appears that "2:1" in Lightroom is equivalent to 100% zoom. Not sure how that makes sense, but I guess it solves my problem.

4. Ellsass

Ellsass Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    FastStone looks nice indeed, but unfortunately for me it's Windows only. I could dust off my old PC but I can never get the colors to look right on that monitor.

5. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

Not free, or even cheap, but ACDSee Pro for Mac can do it. (I'm not fully aware of all the Mac version features, I'm a Windows guy, but my understanding is that it has this.),

6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Aperture does this fine....

just saying

K

7. adi10times

adi10times Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Bandung, Indonesia
    Michael Adi P.
    XnView is free, it supports Win, Linux, and Mac
    http://www.xnview.com/en/
    it has 'compare' feature like FastStone

13147083005_6b501d222c.
    max 4 photos per comparation

• Like Like x 2
  8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Thanks for the tip on XnView; it's my favorite viewer (I don't use it for editing) but I didn't know it could do that.

Barry

9. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I believe that 1:1 is 100% in LR.

--Ken

10. adi10times

adi10times Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Bandung, Indonesia
    Michael Adi P.
    You're welcome
    I like XnView too, I've been using it for years. It's much faster than other photo browsers/viewers I tried on my PC because I can disable file header scanning so it loads faster and lighter :)

We can compare photos (max 4 photos) with XnView
    Select the photos, then Shift+C (Win) or right click then select 'compare'