Software options for GX80/85 RAWs?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by WaltP, Apr 18, 2017 at 2:58 PM.

1. What are the options for processing the RAWs from the GX80/85? I know Adobe CC and Affinity Photo and XNView.

What else is handling the GX80/85 RAWs?

-Walt-

2. Egregius V

Egregius V Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2015
    Massachusetts, USA
    Rev. Gregory Vozzo
    DxO OpticsPro 11 supports them. Color handling is good, too - better than in-camera JPEGs, in my opinion, and easily altered.

There's also SilkyPix 4 SE, which is a free download via Panasonic - but I find it to be rather limited. I hear the current version of SilkyPix (paid upgrade) is worth a look.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017 at 3:48 PM
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,
    Probably RawTherapee, digiKam, and DarkTable.

4. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Capture One 10

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Darktable does, and that means that RawTherapee should indeed do to. Darktable isn't available on Windows, though - and last I checked, there were no "Profiles" - so you basically have to either develop your own starting points or just do it by hand.

M.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Don't forget Snapseed but you might have to take up another hobby to make use of all the free time that you're going to have... :biggrin:

7. vrds

vrds Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 12, 2016
    Does "Profiles" mean Darktable "Styles" in Lighttable-view, or something else? Because you can import and export styles in Darktable. Darktable use some kind of "default style" or something like that when importing RAW-file (sharpen, orientation, base curve) but of course anything else has to edit by yourself and export style if wanted. I personally use Darktable (on Linux) for GX80 and as for free software it is really excellent.

Learning curve isn't the easiest but after learning couple of basic modules you can edit images easily and most often I use the same modules. There are many Youtube videos to watch how to learn use Darktable. And also lot of modules in Darktable to be learn...I can maybe use 10% of all modules and already I'm satisfied with Darktable :D

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017 at 6:08 AM
    • Wow Wow x 1
  8. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    You're most probably right. I actually don't "bulk process", so have no real use for that - it'll by "Styles" alright. btw. Another GNU/Linux user here - and I certainly share your assessment :) But I'm really only scratching the surface of Darktable's feature set ...

M.

9. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I saw someone mentioned xnview, I believe that xnview doesn't support it properly, xnview can decode any raw file I throw at it, but usually with some flaws like false colours, grains, distortion, and most importantly what xnview does is basically converts it into an 8 bit file with its default decoding, you lose the flexibility of editing a raw file

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I agree. XnView is a viewer, not a RAW processor - not a problem if used properly (I like the fact that it handles even large collections quite graciously), but not a solution to the problem at hand.

M.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2017
    what about Lightroom? learn it once and you won't have to switch a year or two from now...

12. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, what happens in a year or two?

13. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    the one-year subscription happens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2017
    No, I mean to buy LR and in a year or two you will not outgrow a smaller program (and need to relearn something else), or have to move to another program after a small co. goes belly up.

I'm not fond of the rental model for software... or much of anything really.

15. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I find it weird that Lightroom was only mentioned a few posts ago... It's an obvious choice, but of course Adobe doesn't give the best results with Panasonic colors. I use a combination of LR and On1 Effects. Works pretty good for me. On1 RAW also supports the camera, and has a free trial which I've been playing around with. It's still infant software, but some of the things it does quite well, most notably being super fast with files.

16. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    I'm leaning towards DxO, as my CS6 no longer gets ACR updates and the latest camera's (PenF, G85 etc) wont be supported. Dng Converter just annoys me.

Nice to hear above that DXO gives good colour results with Panny, and imo their noise reduction is brilliant (though slow- or at least it used to be).

17. Don't be too weirded out, Adobe CC was mentioned in the original post. I am mostly interested in better color solutions as I agree Adobe doesn't give the best results with Panny colors. Thanks for the On1 tip. Seems like there are a decent number of options working with the GX85 files - good. I should find something that pleases me more than Adobe. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  18. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2017
    there must be a custom filtering setup to get better colors(?)

19. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Thanks for the clarification.

Fwiw, digiKam has been around for more than 10 years, and has DAM features that Lightroom is missing.
    It's RAW editor is basic though, so I have it launch RawTherapee.