software for thumbnail view of folder of RAW files on Mac

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by pellicle, Mar 9, 2016.

1. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

I use Win7 and IrfanView. One of the fellows here at work is using a Mac and asked what software can he use that will show a thumbnail preview of the JPG's which are embedded in the RAW files (as does IrfanView). Something that's faster than loading the folder in Photoshop.

IrfanView does it in a blink and displays the JPG nicely.

Not being at all a mac user I thought someone here may know

Thanks

2. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    What RAW files does he have? I can see thumbnails of most files including ORF's in Finder (default mac file browser). I can't see DNG previews though so I guess it depends on the files...

3. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Use Finder. Use the visual browse mode....4th view option.

Screen Shot 2016-03-10 at 12.01.20 AM.

4. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Thanks Guys ... somehow he's saying he doesn't see them in finder (and its a GH4, so RW2 files)

@mcasan@mcasan , do those load fairly quickly?

5. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

There are lots of view options in the Finder. View as Cover Flow or Icon View will show views of the photo, as has been mentioned above. I'm not sure how fast they are. It may take some tuning of options by the user to get things just the way they want.

On the other hand, GraphicConverter is a nice little app that will do the job. It is very fast. It does a lot of other things as well.

Lemke Software: GraphicConverter

I started using GraphConverter in 1996, at version 2.2. At that time one person wrote the whole program.

6. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Finder is fairly quick, not instant but not annoyingly slow (at least on my ageing MBP). But I don't think this issue is about view options in Finder, rather that Finder doesn't display the image thumbnail. It just display a default RA2 icon, am I right?

You shouldn't need to run any specific software just to see certain file thumbnails when Finder should work. It could depend on what OS he is running. I think I've seen comments that Yosemite doesn't show certain thumbnail but I'm running Mavericks on my laptop and can't see DNGs...I'd be interested in any solutions to this. Might be the same issue.

7. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    With the exception of DNG files, all RAW files are camera specific. When discussing issues like the one in this thread you need to under stand that GH4 RW2 files are not like any other RW2 file. Also, OS's vary in their abilities and foibles from version to version so providing exact detail as to which OS is involved is critical to resolving most issues or even recommending software.

Most MacOSX software (all of Apple's, including Finder) rely on the OS's own inbuilt RAW conversion engine. New cameras' RAW files won't display previews in Finder and can't be processed by apps like Photos on older releases of the OS or on newer releases that aren't updated adequately. If the OP's friend doesn't see previews on the files from his rather newish GH4 it is likely that his OS is older than the camera. Upgrading the OS will likely cure the problem.

Step one should be to find out what OS the friend is using. Access the "Apple" menu in the top right corner of the menu bar and select About this Mac... to have the system display details. Step two is to always expect to have to upgrade all RAW conversion software and, in the case of MacOSX machines, the OS any time you add a new camera to your kit.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

9. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I realise that you may have intended this for a general audience, but the quote of my words suggested it was aimed at me. So I do indeed know that each raw file is camera specific, and that's why I began this with an app because the OS upgrade is off the table as its a work machine and part of a SOE distribution for our organisation :)

curiously my older versions of dcraw are able to strip out the JPG files from the RW2 files of the GH4, so I don't know what finder is doing but the JPG previews should be visible to it (even if demosiac of RAW is not). If "Finder" is not using them then it will be as slow as a wet week.

I initially proposed that he use dcraw to extract the JPG files as .thumb.jpg files, but he is somehow not amenable to using command line.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  10. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    I use Lyn. It displays raw files instantly. It also does a bunch of other nifty things which IMO make it well worth $20.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Finder doesn't do the heavy lifting. It leverages a OS service to get the RAW thumbnails, or perhaps leverages a service that creates thumbnails for all image files that itself "sub-contracts" the job for RAW files to OS's RAW processing engine. Either way, it is the independent RAW processing engine that is tasked with providing the thumbnail. It may well be that the design is such that it doesn't get the embedded JPEGs from RAWs it doesn't support for demosaicing, even though it might be able to. Those "unknown" RAW flavors aren't on its "good guys" list and it doesn't have any "oh, they only want a preview so dig and see if one can be extracted anyway" logic. Other utilities likely take a trial-and-terror approach of trying to get the JPEG preview from any and all RAW files.

The MacOSX design might be intentional. It may be that they fear that users will confused when Finder can show a preview but Photos can't process the image. There is an overall KISS design orientation in much of Apple's software that may be at play here.

Personally, I've got Photoshop on my Mac at work and use Adobe's Bridge, a companion piece that has come with Ps for the last 4-5 versions, as a browser when I need to see thumbnail views of images. It leverages Adobe's Camera RAW engine for its RAW thumbnails. It's a very nice browser and a great front end for Ps's batch functions.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Raw files have jpeg thumbnails embedded in them that the camera body uses to give you a preview and to drive the histogram. Mac OS Services knows how to open a raw file and give the jpeg to Finder. All of this comes standard in your Mac. If you OS does not do it, way past time to upgrade the OS....and maybe the hardware.

13. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    all I can say is that its a brand new Mac with 16Gig of memory and the Uni doesn't usually skimp on hardware for the Graphics guys. ... those in software development on Dell machines is different. I don't know the details and none of the Mac people at work seem to either. So here ends my interest in their problems.

All the answers have been good!

Thanks everyone

14. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I am running a lightly older version of the OS on the machine I am currently on, but should be more or less the same on the newer ones. Open a folder of photo, if you do not see thumbnail representations of the photo on each file, go to the View menu and pick "Show View Options" (or you can simply hit Command-J). In the resulting pop up window check the "Show Icon Preview" box and the thumbnails should appear. Works great on all my .orf files including my E-M1 stuff.

Also a great feature on a Mac is if you click once on a file to simply select it (not double click to open it) you can then hit the space bar to see a full screen preview of the file. This works on all files by the way, not just photos, so you can quick look at PDFs, spreadsheets, documents, etc. with a simple space bar press. And once again to close it.

• Informative Informative x 2