Softboxs for use with Strobes

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by shanguli, Jan 20, 2016.

1. shanguli

shanguli Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2014
    canada
    Recently bought a couple of Alien Bee 800 off of another photographer, and I'm planning to use them for on location shoots if I get any.
    I have a question about softbox/octaboxes (the type that don't take speedrings and instead have an opening on the side: I like this kind of softbox/octabox (New 80cm Octagon Umbrella Softbox+Soft cloth+Bag for Speedlite Strobe Accessory) for its portability and fast set up.

-The above linked octabox doesn't take speedring and is designed I guess to be used mainly with flashes/speedlights. I am wondering if there is something significant that I'm forgetting about if I don't want to go with something like the follwoing to use with AB studio strobes: 48" 120 CM Octagon Softbox + Speedring For Alienbees Alien Bees B400 B800 B1600

-By the way, would really appreciate it if you'd happen to know of the stripbox version of this (New 80cm Octagon Umbrella Softbox+Soft cloth+Bag for Speedlite Strobe Accessory) and linked me to it...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  2. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Umbrella style is very nice for location shooting. Be sure to get the grid, too. Pro Studio Solutions EZ-Pro 24x36" Strip Softbox with Speedring for Bayonet Mountable Strobe, Flash and Monolights - Pro Studio EZ-Pro Softbox - Light Modifiers - Backdrop / Light Modifier - Studio

You do not want the softboxes designed for speedlights. That is a totally different animal, not designed for use with monolights.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From FotoDiox about a year ago:

Item
    Sku Qty Subtotal
    Pro Studio Solutions EZ-Pro 24x36" Strip Softbox with Speedring for Bayonet Mountable Strobe, Flash and Monolights
    Choose Compatible Speedring

Photogenic & Compatible (Norman ML, Photogenic StudioMax, Powerlight PL)
    EzPro-24x36-Photogenic 1 $64.95

Fotodiox Pro Eggcrate Grid for 24x36" Softbox - Fits Pro Studio Solutions EZ-Pro and Fotodiox Pro Standard Softboxes - 50 Degree Grid (2x2x1.5" Openings) Grid-24x36 1 $24.95

Subtotal $89.90
    Shipping & Handling $4.95
    Grand Total $94.85

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Photek softlighter is one that is pretty popular. There are also cheap brolly-boxes on ebay in the $20-30 range. Those kind of units are basically used like umbrellas on basic stands and brackets. They are not much harder to set up and take down than an umbrella, too, which is a huge benefit over a regular softbox.