Softbox question.

TetonTom

Mu-43 Regular
Hi,
I found a great deal on a Plotoflex "LiteDome 293". It came without any mounting gear, just the fabric box and 4 wands. I want to mount this to a standard light stand, which I already own, and use it with a radio-controlled shoe-mount speedlight, which I already own.
I just cant seem to find a bracket/ring combo to do this as simply as I'd like. I thought it would be cheap and easy.
Any ideas? Specific brands and models would be useful.
Thank you!
Tom

Apollo T.

Mu-43 Top Veteran
As I understand you correctly you’re missing an integral part of the softbox’s asssembly. The 4 wands attach to a rigid collar that holds the whole thing together. This should have been included. Contact the mfr/ vendor to get the missing part(s).

inkista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The wands should connect to a "speed ring", but they may have left that out of the package so you could have your choice of modifier mounts. It's kind of like non-compatible lens bayonet mounts. Modifiers have different types of mounts that match the ones on your studio strobe (Bowens, Elinchrom, Profoto, AlienBee, etc.) If you're just using a Godox speedlight, though, what you probably want is the Bowens S ring for the softbox, and then a Godox S-type bracket for your lightstand. Because Godox's monolights can also use the Bowens S mount. :)

The Bowens S mount is basically just three evenly spaced nubs that go into the three notches on the bracket.

If you eventually get a modifier that's in a different mount, there are adapters to go from one mount to another.

Repp

Mu-43 All-Pro
While I'm also new'ish to lighting, it is also my understanding that most softboxes use to come without the mounting bracket, allowing the buyer to determine what they needed for what types of lights they owned. You'll basically need to go buy a Speedring adapter based on what type of lights you own. Something like this https://www.adorama.com/fpsrbo.html if you have bowens/godox S-type (which are the same thing). Just make sure it has the correct holes at the correct spacing for the type of softbox you have. I.e. 8 for an Octabox, 4 for a square, 4 offset for a strip light, or a 16+ hole one which is more multi purposed.

TetonTom

Mu-43 Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you all, I think I’ve learned enough to pick out what I need. Looks like I can piece together the 2 necessities for around $30 and get shooting.Luckily there’s some pretty cheap generic options for what I need.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom