soft pouch w/ belt loop?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by vinay, Mar 23, 2012.

1. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
    I want to make it easy to carry my camera + pancake to random social outings when I am not wearing a coat and it doesn't fit into my jeans ...

Is there some kind of soft pouch that i can put on my belt? Soft enough that it doesn't hold a structure if nothing is in it.. something like this with a belt loop would be cool..

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    How about something like this one with a choice of carabiner or belt loop which you might find useful (the carabiner is quicker to attach and detach without taking your belt off): Case Logic Medium Camera / Flash Camcorder Case > Photo and Video > Case Logic

The ones I use have a belt loop and can fit on a belt albeit a little uncomfortably, but I carry it with a shoulder strap instead.

3. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
    that would hold the gear but looks like it would retain its boxy shape all the time.. it also has an extra pocket..

4. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
  5. the.growler

the.growler Mu-43 Regular

Maybe an Osprey DigiStow?

DigiStows - Osprey Packs, Inc :2012: Official Site

My E-PL2 with an Industar-69 pancake lens (but without the VF-2) just fits into a medium DigiStow but the pouch can't be zipped closed, so it's more like a holster. What size camera are you trying to fit?

6. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I have the Thinktank modular pouch and my E-P1 with the Panny 20mm fits perfectly - I actually had not tried it until you posted the link. It works on a belt or on the strap of a backpack, etc. It's a really nice little pouch and it folds pretty flat.

8. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    I had a look at all 3 of those: I got the Terraclime 30 and it was too small for my E-PL1 (even with just the 14mm pancake on it) so I use it for other stuff like legacy lenses. It's a great little pouch for the price though (£2 on ebay/amazon). I ordered the next size up (Terraclime 50 which is huge) for my E-PL1 but the Terraclime 30 fits a GF3 with 14mm or 20mm pancake lens on.

Judging by the sizes given here they should (just) fit length and height ways but not sure about width as I don't know the camera + 20mm lens width:
    Compare camera dimensions side by side

The rip off holster things looked good, but I could not find them in the UK and the thinktank pouch was discontinued/out of stock wherever I tried.

The Optec Neoprene Soft Pouch (in the link in your first post) is what I wanted but again could not find them in the UK.

9. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
    GF2 + 14mm

10. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Might be just a tiny bit too chunky for a Terraclime 30 then but not sure? The Terraclime 50 will fit easily but it's probably about twice as big as what you need (I can get a Nex 5 and kit lens in it easily).

Or one of these pouches (Manfrotto Nanno III) - here is a picture of one with a GF2 + 14mm pancake in it: Left-eyed • A Case - Manfrotto Nano III

It has a belt loop according to this:
    manfrotto nano III pouch stile

11. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
  12. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
    I went to the stores to try out some of those belt pouches.. even found the case logic one Ned suggested... nonetheless, the one thing I can conclude is that a chunky camera in a belt pouch just doesn't look right on a skinny guy!!

Changing direction on this, I tried something a little different - I took an old lightly padded camera pouch w/ drawstring and looped the drawstring through my belt loop.. although the camera swings a little, it didn't result in a big bump.. I suspect similar results could be achieved with a small neoprene lens pouch ..

Do you use the holster when you're actively taking pictures or all the time? do you ever cover the camera while on the holster?

13. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Hi Ned...where did you buy your case logic case?

14. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
    Bill, I saw that exact case in walmart today

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I think I got mine at a garage sale. xD But yes, Walmart should have them...

More on topic to Vinay though, from the original post... I came across this just today at Best Buy and immediately thought of you...
    Soft Shell Camera Case Compact | BUILT

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
    That looks very interesting Ned.. not sure from the dimensions if it has the required depth though?