1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Soft footage from GF3

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Kwekwe, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Kwekwe

Kwekwe Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2014
    Gravesend Brooklyn NY
    While I await my 14-42 and 17mm prime lenses I've been watching a lot of videos on the GF3, I notice a lot of them are quite soft. Is this due to lack of image quality or simply the choice of lens they used? I understand the 14-42mm Panasonic lens isn't well thought of. I bought the GF3 for video more than for still tho will use for both. I've also done the Driftwood hack . I only recently discovered these nice beasties after seeing the Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera and drooling. I'm hoping the GF3 will be an inexpensive alternative to the BMPCC, the lack of ProRes 422 is not enough to make me regret my inexpensive purchase.

To sum up, is the Panasonic DCM-GF3 Capable of sharp video quality when coupled with a nice prime lens ? Thanks folks, I have seen some deliciously sharp video shot on the Lumix G5 which I have on order but having a sharp camera in my pocket at all times would be nice without having to spend the premium for a BMPCC and losing autofocus.

2. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    I had a GF3 for about a year, but no video experience with it. I can say that it is definitely capable of sharp photos, though.

3. Kwekwe

Kwekwe Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2014
    Gravesend Brooklyn NY
    Thanks Mark. I should have my lenses by Saturday I HOPE ;) and can see for myself if it's just soft kit lens. I look forward to lots of random shots and quick videos wandering the Wilds of Brooklyn.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kwekwe

Kwekwe Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2014
    Gravesend Brooklyn NY
    Got my lenses n played a bit. 17mm prime is niiiiice. Haven't watched on big screen yet but don't really see any softness to video thankfully. Also got my Fotga Nikon to MFT adapter for my new fangled lenses and it will even lock em wide open. Should be fun popping my Nikon 55-300mm on ;) only thing is removing it is a bit of a hassle

5. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    GF3 doesn't support 1080P, only 1080I so that might lead to the softness you mentioned, other than that no problem with the video, there is even an option to install cracked firmware onto GF3 for higher bitrate.

for photos, I just think the jpg engine is really bad, if you shoot raw and use LR for conversion you'll notice a world of difference.

6. Kwekwe

Kwekwe Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2014
    Gravesend Brooklyn NY
    I have the hacked firmware on it courtesy of PTool ;) I'm quite impressed by this tiny beastie, I'll have to muck about in LR a bit and print some but for a little pocket camera it's pretty amazing. Definitely a convert in the making and should have the Panasonic G5 tonight.
    With this GF3 on a shoulder sling I don't really even notice it

7. Kwekwe

Kwekwe Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2014
    Gravesend Brooklyn NY
    After more shooting with this camera I LOVE it! Will have to do a G5 vs hacked GF3 video next methinks. Love how silent the AF is using 45-175mm on it.

Also picked up a Canon 50mm F1.4 FD lens and adapter for peanuts and blown away by the footage I shot with it on my hacked GF3, a lot easier to focus than my Nikon VR lens