Social picture sharing and camera companies

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
On a similar note I was doing a fancy paid event gig a few months ago and there was a couple there that had started a new photography booth business also. I hadn't seen this exact set up before. Basically it was about a 4-5' tall smart phone for taking selfies with touch screen, timer and cheesy dialogue/animation on the screen to tell you "cheese" or whatever it said. Pretty much selfie-self-service and they were there to print them immediately (4x6" or 5x7" I presume). I didn't pay too close of attention but I think they had the option to select the one they wanted out of 3 or so and choose to print it or retake it. I am not sure if they had to pay for the prints or what. I doubt the event coordinator would have paid two photographers to cover the thing, so I'm assuming they did the event "free" in order to make the revenue on the prints, but not sure?

FWIW, it seemed to get a lot of attention. Those kind of people who enjoy selfies loved it. It was both interesting and cheesy at the same time in it's presentation. I can't recall if it was a mirrored screen or showed a live view, but I also think it put in a fake background or blacked it out. Kinda like the inevitable McDonalds kiosk replacing the human interface. Kinda like the one attached

Attachments

• selfie 2.jpg
    selfie 2.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 51

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Personally, I don't give a sh1t about social media. Leave that to the smartphone bearers. For what I use a camera for, it's image quality, usability etc that are important - way more important than connectivity or in-camera editing.

Didn't Samsung do this with its smart camera line a few years ago - which included a CSC? Given the jpeg magic Samsung has put in their more recent Galaxy smart phones, I found the idea of their cameras appealing, but have never got my hands on them to see.

For me of the OI Share app would just return control of the camera screen it would be good enough as I've yet to have the 3-4 batteries I start with not be enough. I just want to have both control sets work at the same time instead of locking out the local screen.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Lumix cameras give you a tremendous amount of control here. I assign Shadow/Hilights to the top dials via a function button, and adjust before the shot. You'll always have the raw to fall back on later. While I mostly use this for run and gun video I don't want to edit/grade, it could easily apply to jpegs. I also mod my picture profiles to fit various conditions and can bring them up fast via another function button or Q menu.

Once the picts are on the phone (and you can set up the Image app to transfer while you shoot), you can text from the Image app (or any gallery type app).

But even my 6 inch phone (which I rarely carry) pales in detail compared with looking through the G85/G9 viewfinders. So my point is use the camera's adjustments to get the look you want before the shot. It is one of the major advantages of mirrorless.

Granted it does not give you the hindsight of RAW plus post, but if your looking to quicken the workflow, I think you'll be surprised how much you can tailor the final output before the shot, given all the in camera adjustments Lumix cameras provide.

I get what you're saying about tweaking the jpegs in camera, but I think we (photographers and the industry) have to concede that the phone is the center of most people's digital lives and there's nothing that Sony, Canon, Nikon, or anyone else can to to change that, let alone keep up with the pace of development in the phone world.

The best manufacturers can do is make the process of getting images to the phone as quickly and seemlessly as possible so that it's not even a second thought. Besides, reviewing, selecting, and editing dozens of photos on a camera display with a big zoom or telephoto attached is a poorer user experience.

When Samsung comes out with a phone with a folding display (likely 8" or larger) I'll be the first in line. There's no way to replicate that screen real estate on a camera.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I don't know why we keep comparing serious cameras with smartphones. They serve two completely different use cases. Like most other photographers I use both but use them for completely different things.

Smartphones clearly are great for social snapshots, and I applaud the recent advances that computational photography has done for improving their usage for this sort of photography. I've been playing with a Pixel 3 these last few days and the quality of its output, even in poor light, is quite amazing.

But they are a million miles from being useful tools for serious photography when image quality, usability, speed, focus tracking, weather sealing, interchangeable lenses etc are concerned.

When people are ready to take photography seriously they'll want a "proper" camera and advances in smartphones will never take this away - for the simple reason that the advances that matter will find their way into "proper" cameras too and so maintain the gap.

Ted_G

Mu-43 Regular
It is VERY rare that I choose to post to social media direct via mobile simply because I cannot really judge the quality on a tiny screen nor can I edit.

Only for my SO do I directly dump the odd selfie to FB. I am a ruthless culler of my images and do my utmost to only post my 100% post-processed best to my site.

I reckon it's different for you pros....client instant gratification etc :roflmao:

John M Flores

Super Moderator
I don't know why we keep comparing serious cameras with smartphones. They serve two completely different use cases. Like most other photographers I use both but use them for completely different things.

Smartphones clearly are great for social snapshots, and I applaud the recent advances that computational photography has done for improving their usage for this sort of photography. I've been playing with a Pixel 3 these last few days and the quality of its output, even in poor light, is quite amazing.

But they are a million miles from being useful tools for serious photography when image quality, usability, speed, focus tracking, weather sealing, interchangeable lenses etc are concerned.

When people are ready to take photography seriously they'll want a "proper" camera and advances in smartphones will never take this away - for the simple reason that the advances that matter will find their way into "proper" cameras too and so maintain the gap.

For one of my latest stories, I submitted 64 photos. 11 were selected for publication. 3 were taken with my phone. The editor did not know which ones were taken with my phone, and neither will the reader.

That said, much of discussion in this thread is not phones vs. cameras but rather how the two can work better together, the camera to take the photos and the phone to share them.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom