1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

'Soccer'

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RT_Panther, Oct 16, 2012.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I normally shoot this with my SLR - this time 'round, decided to give my E-PL2 & M. Zuiko 75 a shot. The technique that I used is nowhere near close to how I shoot it on my SLR but it is do-able. :smile:

More work/practice to do in the future at an undetermined point but for now, it's back to my SLR....

[​IMG]
    Soccer by RedTail_Panther, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  2. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Just shows that MFT can be used for football action, but there is little doubt that this is one area where DSLRs still have a clear advantage.

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I'm guessing it was pretty much hit or miss, but the hits - like this one - are very good. :cool:

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Yes, MFT sure can! :smile:
    And on a side note, I said "SLR", not "DSLR".....:biggrin:

5. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Sory Panther, my bad! :redface:

Force of habit, I guess, but the basic operation of the camera is the same, it's only the recording media that is different! :biggrin:

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    LoL no worries! :smile:
    One of the SLR benefits that I enjoy is that I'm actually shooting "full frame"....:tongue:

But back on topic, but I did for the shot was shoot in continuous AF mode but only holding the button for perhaps a split-second before fully engaging - so there was a lot of "no hands on shutter button" anticipation involved.

With my SLR, I keep the shutter button engaged for long periods of time in preparation for the shot.

7. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    So really it's about adapting technique to get the best from each camera. Must admit I've yet to try action shots with MFT, but maybe I should.

8. Mercurio

Mercurio Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Bogotá, Colombia
    Mauricio
    Beforehand, I apologize for my possible mistakes as English is not my native language.

Last weekend I did my first try of the Oly 40-150mm f/4 5.6 with an OM-D with a "soccer" theme. I wanted to find out with some "action" shots how the camera and lens behave, color, resolution, sharpness with such cheap lens. I used the CF tracking and short bursts, Raw+.jpg at maximun resolution that slowed down the initial firing even though I use a fast memory card. Next time I will try smaller files or just Raw or .jpg.

The following images are the straight from the camera without any cropping or process.

PA060008.

PA060014.

PA060016.

PA060033.

PA060047.

PA060057.

PA060115.

PA060117.

PA060133.

PA060139.

PA060120.

Thank you for your comments. :smile:

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    RT ... you're got one? Let's see some more.

Gary

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    LoL there's a few more in the M. Zuiko 75mm thread :smile:

11. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    That's a great set, Mercurio, but it really deserved to be a seperate thread. The lad was obviously having a lot of fun and your pictures clearly show the quality of such a cheap lens. :smile: