1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Soccer photography the hard/cheap way

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by CiaranCReilly, Jul 26, 2013.

1. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    A friend co-founded and writes for a Berlin-based English language soccer magazine called <a href="http://www.nodicemagazine.com">No Dice</a>, and I volunteered to accompany him as stand-in “official photographer” at a number of games in exotic locations (Basse Terre in Guadeloupe, Oslo and, er, Dublin). We were both going to be at these locations at the right time anyway, so it wasn't company credit cards all the way!! I’m posting some of the shots that were published as well as some others I that liked from the matches, as well as a little about how and why I took them.

Guadeloupe 2nd league, Vieux-Fort vs. Petit-Bourg
    8458827939_35e88cb107_b.

No Dice magazine is characterised by a very high standard of photography in my opinion, so I took it as quite a challenge to come up with some decent shots. I didn’t have the gear to, or necessarily want to, tightly fill the frame with sharp shots of players and goals but rather wanted to capture the smell and flavour of each match.

Speaking of which, that's a sugar cane plantation belonging to Rhum Bologne in the left background:
    QYPVOLH.

8871518707_866aae5820_b.

Lots of these type of games take place late in the evening at poorly-lit stadiums also, so bright lenses were important. I brought a few primes to each game, but the shots I liked most came from the OM.Zuiko 50mm f/1.8, manually focussed with focus assist permanently on. I’d focus on my subject in the magnified centre portion of the frame and guess framing, cropping as necessary as the shots were for the web only. For wider angle shots, I brought along the Panasonic 14mm or 20mm.

League of Ireland Premier Division, Shelbourne FC vs. Sligo Rovers
    9185649553_745b87f53a_b.

The pro photographers at the games were typically Canikon guys, and I managed to hang with them for some of the games where we got in as press. I don’t think much attention was paid to me! One pro at the Shelbourne vs Sligo Rovers match was using a GH3 and 12-35 f/2.8 for crowd shots in addition to his Canikon zoom. We exchanged nods, I think he realised how difficult I had it compared to him with only 20 and 50mm to choose from! This game ran into darkness, and I noticed that I was the only one still shooting with my 50/1.8 at the end, although that may be because the pros had already mailed in their shots and retired to the bar!

2xdcGab.

The crowd and atmosphere at these "off-the-beaten-track" soccer games is fantastic. Local foods are often cooked on site, and local drinks are imbibed in bars or at stalls in the grounds. I'm definitely not the world's biggest soccer fan, not close, but I had a really great time at these games.

lkmo8U0.

Vinny and his teddybears have been to every Sherlbourne FC home and away match for six and a half years!

oskpuH9.

SefE79g.

The matches all took place since January 2013, so served as a very beneficial project and learning experience for me. I'm definitely not claiming these to be great shots, although given my level of experience I'm fairly happy with them, and I certainly learned a lot over the few months duration of this project.

Norwegian 2. Divisjon Group 2, Frigg vs. Strømsgodset II
    9086755265_40112b414f_b.

We had a wonderful clear afternoon in Oslo to watch this match, with a small crowd in a very friendly and accessible stadium. The rumours of our illicit wine-smuggling are greatly exaggerated.

bKcNr62.

The gear I used for all these shots was Olympus E-P1 and/or E-PM1, OM.Zuiko 50mm f/1.8, Panasonic 14mm and 20mm.

sxlpsxl.

Links to Stephen's articles are below. They are well worth a read as Stephen has a very entertaining writing style even to a soccer-philistine like me. On a serious note, the last article is a worthy exploration of the current sad the state of Irish domestic soccer:

Out of the Guadeloupe in Basse Terre

Fearsome Frigg firepower flattens feeble foes

Sligo talk the talk at charming Tolka

One last shot, as we were leaving the stadium in Basse Terre to wander back home through the tropical streets we came across this fanatastic scene:

ssmcMe0.