So you want to update your Olympus but are nervous? Try this...

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Obviously nobody knows unless they are an Olympus repair tech (or camera designer), and those people have presumably signed NDA's.

I would imagine what happens is the camera memory is left in an indeterminate state. Some of the memory cells will contain the previous value, some the new value, perhaps some just some random values. Since this is code that controls the camera's operation, it would likely depend on what the precise state of the memory is. If only functions that are never used got erased, then you are fine. More likely it will cause the camera to not function properly.

I would imagine at the repair facility there may be a method to restore the memory to being completely empty, and then they can use the normal method the initial state of the camera is loaded.

But I could also imagine that once the camera computer + memory has been installed in the motherboard, that there is no way to do an initial boot (because the pins needed for the boot are not accessible). Then the factory would need to replace the whole motherboard.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
And so long as you don’t use Panasonic windows (lenses). The window themselves would be ok but I’ve heard that the marriage between bricks and windows doesn’t form a perfect seal.
Yes. And, upon further consideration, from a purely cost based point of view, I think it would be best to use the late model weather proofed bricks only for the exterior walls. The interior may equally well be constructed from low cost, older model bricks.
This will help fund weather sealed glass with perfect fit.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
Obviously nobody knows unless they are an Olympus repair tech (or camera designer), and those people have presumably signed NDA's.

I would imagine what happens is the camera memory is left in an indeterminate state. Some of the memory cells will contain the previous value, some the new value, perhaps some just some random values. Since this is code that controls the camera's operation, it would likely depend on what the precise state of the memory is. If only functions that are never used got erased, then you are fine. More likely it will cause the camera to not function properly.

I would imagine at the repair facility there may be a method to restore the memory to being completely empty, and then they can use the normal method the initial state of the camera is loaded.

But I could also imagine that once the camera computer + memory has been installed in the motherboard, that there is no way to do an initial boot (because the pins needed for the boot are not accessible). Then the factory would need to replace the whole motherboard.

Found this on the Pentax Forum:

The flash memory chips use Ball Grid Array (BGA) packages which are normally programmed in circuit on the board.

During production I would suspect the JTAG boundary scan capabilities in the main chip (basically a shift register connected to all the pins) is used to configure the address and data lines to the memory chip and program the data. For updates, the main chip loads a program into RAM, which it runs to reprogram the memory chip. If power is lost during this reprogramming the flash memory is corrupt and the camera will not boot.

Whilst it's possible the service center has the necessary JTAG programming capability, I somehow doubt they would make the investment (easier to just replace the board). I have seen other posts where the US service center simply replaced the main board (returning the original with the camera).

So much for my bragging about Pentaxes never getting bricked. But, still less variables involved than with the Olympus way. And a fully charged battery is mandatory when doing any update on any camera!

whumber

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I just googled "canon camera bricked" and on the first page there are four different Canon cameras that got bricked during update.
I repeated but with Nikon and got several.
I think you will find they all get bricked.
Reading some of them the advice is to send it in.

There's a ton of posts about Canon cameras getting bricked during firmware updates due to MagicLantern, you have to be really careful with it during the initial installation and it was far from idiot proof early on.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom