So you want to update your Olympus but are nervous? Try this...

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
I’m curious about the unbricking process. I’m totally I’m naive of the technicalities but surely Oly fixes bricked equipment via a USB cable or SD card one way or the other given they’re the primary I/O routes on our cameras. So does it not stand to reason that they could release software for users to unbrick things themselves rather than transport equipment across the continent?

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
And how is that a defense of doing something in the worst of two different ways (of doing updates)?
It is just a defence of the official way, it works pretty well.
As I explained before the SD card way has its problems too.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
I’m curious about the unbricking process. I’m totally I’m naive of the technicalities but surely Oly fixes bricked equipment via a USB cable or SD card one way or the other given they’re the primary I/O routes on our cameras. So does it not stand to reason that they could release software for users to unbrick things themselves rather than transport equipment across the continent?
It's all about the money...

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Olympus have to open the device to unbrick it.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
It is just a defence of the official way, it works pretty well.
As I explained before the SD card way has its problems too.
But far fewer than the "official way"! Everything has risks. It's about minimizing those. You have to admit that the risks of faulty/fake SD cards are less compared to a USB cable losing the connection in one end or the other! And experience shows that "fiddling" don't have to be the cause of this. Glitches have been known to happen.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
Olympus have to open the device to unbrick it.
Where is the source of this piece of information?

EDIT: on second thought, you are probably correct. I don't think that the solid state memory circuits on the motherboard can be reset via USB or SD card slot if they are in an inoperable (non bootable) state. Sorry.

Last edited:
Real Name
Angus
The fact is that vast numbers of people around the world update their Olympus lenses and cameras without difficulty. The tiny minority who don't are vocal and blame Olympus not themselves. They can still send it in to be unbricked.

We don't know that though. This forum is a very small subset of users and we also have no data whatsoever on the number of users who don't ever update their firmware vs those who do. There's plenty of users out there who don't know that firmware upgrades are a thing.

It still is a more convoluted process than it needs to be.

When I get some spare time I'm going to research around other camera forums and see if I can work out if there's any instances of bricked cameras and if there's recover options there too.

Last edited:
Real Name
Angus
It would be lovely if all electronics devices were unbrickable. You have to have a backup system ROM with the whole system in it, which can be activated in some way if there is an update failure. Some modern computer motherboards have exactly that feature.

Plenty of devices that you listed have a downloadable recovery utility that can recover from a failed firmware update with a USB cable. My inkjet printer has one FFS.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
When I get some spare time I'm going to research around other camera forums and see if I can work out if there's any instances of bricked cameras and if there's recover options there too.
I just googled "canon camera bricked" and on the first page there are four different Canon cameras that got bricked during update.
I repeated but with Nikon and got several.
I think you will find they all get bricked.
Reading some of them the advice is to send it in.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I have been told that to unbrick an Olympus camera. Send it to Olympus, they put it in a white room. The technician removes the battery, charges the battery. Inserts the charged battery. Turns on the camera. Turns it off and turns it on again saying the magic word. Then all is well.

jk4u59

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Ivan Dalmonte
Even if you switch it off, the power switch is a soft switch and shouldn't switch off mid update (in my one and only bricked update). Have you ever switched your camera off and had a delay of 5-10 seconds before it switches off completely?

What do you precisely mean with "bricked"? I understand the camera software doesn't react anymore and the camera seems "lost", this is clear.

But... what of the two facts does happen, next?
  • if you go to an Olympus repair lab, you'll have it back working again (paying the intervention, of course) :confused:
  • the camera is broken and no more fixable :mad:
Thanks (just in case... :( )

b_rubenstein

Mu-43 All-Pro
I just googled "canon camera bricked" and on the first page there are four different Canon cameras that got bricked during update.
I repeated but with Nikon and got several.
I think you will find they all get bricked.
Reading some of them the advice is to send it in.

Without knowing what the cause for updates to fail were, this is just meaningless anecdotal read it on the internet stuff. Since there are thousands of times as many Canon and Nikon cameras out there, I'm not surprised that sometimes they get bricked. Asserting that the Olympus update is superior because it doesn't use an SD card is absurd.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
What do you precisely mean with "bricked"? I understand the camera software doesn't react anymore and the camera seems "lost", this is clear.

But... what of the two facts does happen, next?
  • if you go to an Olympus repair lab, you'll have it back working again (paying the intervention, of course) :confused:
  • the camera is broken and no more fixable :mad:
Thanks (just in case... :( )
Alternative A above. It's a little bit like a computer where the system files are damaged, and it can't boot anymore. The fix is to reinstall the OS.
Same thing with the digital camera. It also has system software.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom