So you want to take photos underwater - A basic guide

Real Name
Paul
Thanks for doing this! A couple of random thoughts...
If you're looking for a good deal, Olympus has a discounted package for the M5mkII for 1300 bucks. You won't be able to use the Pro zooms, but this set up is at a nice price point:
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II Housing & Camera Bundle

I use the Olympus housing for my M1mkI, and I'm pretty happy with it. For a while, the OMD housings had the greatest variety of available ports because of their ability to adapt 4/3 stuff. Nauticam has since come up with an adapter to even things out, and some of those old ports are a nice value. I use an Inon 170mm dome originally intended for 4/3 8mm FE and 7-14 glass; it's significantly cheaper than Nauticam or Zen stuff, and it works great with the Oly 8mm, 7-14, 12-40, 60mm, and Panny 8-18 (you just have to remove an extension ring for the fisheye). Olympus has a dedicated macro port; it's spendy, but worth it as you can get closer than you can with their regular flat port.

I started diving with a camera immediately after getting certified. That was really dumb, and I don't recommend it because of the task saturation that comes with photography. Related to that, the best UW photographers are also the best divers. I feel that my results improved only after I made a commitment to improve my diving skills (not that I'm all that great at either).

ArcticaMT6

Mu-43 Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ArcticaMT6

Mu-43 Veteran
Wanted to provide an update here on strobes. I can't recommend the brand Sea & Sea anymore. I've had 4 different strobes with issues now, and no response from trying to contact their customer service. Looking online there are a lot of others who have had problems with them. Save your money and buy Inon, Retra, or Ikelite. I wouldn't even waste money buying used ones at this point. I'm now left with 1 properly working strobe and one that only works on full power, which isn't very useful.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Your story is a common one on online forums. My YS-02s are still working (had to send one in for repair, but went for third party repair as I bought used), but I've read many stories of failures. Did you have the D2J or the grey version?

Real Name
Paul
Yikes. Out of 4 S&S stobes, 1 went bad for me. Better luck than what you've had, but still too high of a failure rate, especially since the cold water diving I do should minimize problems from overheating. I also recommend going with a different brand...

ArcticaMT6

Mu-43 Veteran
Wish I could afford the new Retra Strobes (+ a Retra LSD).
I have a LSD for my D2 but haven't had much chance to use it, so no real examples. We are coming up on spiny lumpsucker season so I might pull it out to practice with when that starts up around November. You can find Z240's for around $300-450 USD now if you look used. Better than the $900 Retras.

ArcticaMT6

Mu-43 Veteran
Yikes. Out of 4 S&S stobes, 1 went bad for me. Better luck than what you've had, but still too high of a failure rate, especially since the cold water diving I do should minimize problems from overheating. I also recommend going with a different brand...
I had one that would fire randomly on it's own right out of the box brand new. Got that replaced for another one which burned out the flash tube after about a year. Got that replaced under warranty as well with a D2J. The third D2 right now still works, but only fires on full power. The YS-01 would just constantly charge the capacitor and get crazy hot, but wouldn't ever fire. And none of them have ever worked correctly with the pre-flash setting so I can use rear curtain sync.

At some point I'll tear apart the D2 that only works at full power and see if I can find a way to fix it.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
The Z240 is barely an upgrade from the YS-02 (not D2!) that I own according to the strobe test Backscatter did at the beginning of this year. My Experience with my mothers Inon S2000 mirrored that as well. It seems that Sea&Sea can't build durable strobes, while Inon massively overestimates their power on spec sheets. I'll just keep mine. They are actually serving me very well.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom