So who's got their eye on the new Sigma...?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by NoSeconds, Jun 29, 2016.

1. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

No love for the Siggy goodness...?

3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I'm definitely curious about it, but the SA mount is a huge bummer for me. If it was E-mount or something else with a short flange, I'd be all over it.

Having to get a whole new set of lenses with no real compatibility options with other gear is not very appealing to me.

4. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

I'm hoping they're testing the concept and release it in other mounts down the track...

5. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    I suspect the other mounts are proprietary. Maybe they could do K-mount, since I think the SA mount is a K-mount with EOS electrical contacts... But I think they'd need a real open standard mount to make it work really well. Like M4/3!

6. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    And EOS flange distance.

7. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    I'm interested, largely because the price is actually reasonable ($999 with 30mm 1.4!). Want to read some reviews of actual use before taking the plunge on it, however...

8. raschmidt

raschmidt Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2014
    Chengdu, China
    Rob
    The reviews I have seen here in China are mostly positive so far. The autofocus has a funky deal where it focuses, then about a half second later you hear the beep. It makes the autofocus seem much much slower than it is (although it doesnt seem like it's particularly fast).

I plan to get one soon, it looks like its available on Adorama's website so maybe I can get one when I am back in the states this month.

9. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I wish Sigma would get in on M4/3. They've said before how they can do whatever they want, are a family company and don't have to answer to anyone. We know they like pushing the envelope. Would be really nice to have another manufacturer competing on bodies.

oh and um...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

11. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    To be honest, I'm not really interested in this camera, but the price made me pause. $800 for the body and $1000 for the kit including 30mm f/1.4 lens is a very low price for Sigma.

12. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Totally agree. I think there'd be a decent market for u43 owners to have a different body for different uses. Imagine an E-M1ii for action and a Sigma Fovean for landscape and sharing the same lenses. That would be a great option.

13. tkbslc

Sigma's bread and butter is still SLR lenses for Canon and Nikon. Making lenses in their own mount is nearly free, since R+D has been done. They even use Canon EF pin outs and logic for SA mount.

14. TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2016
    @stratocaster, as i understand 30mm f1.4 is in sa-mount, so they trying to force you into the System.
    On other hand sigma offers mount change for 150$, so it looks like a really good deal if you know someone to buy of body only%)

Sent from my D5503 using Mu-43 app

15. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I understand it's an SA-mount lens, but it's a really low price for a full-featured mirrorless camera with a fast high-quality lens. Especially considering that just 5 years ago Sigma tried to sell SD1 for $9700...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. tkbslc

SA lenses have really poor resale. Buy them used and build a kit for peanuts!

Looking closer at the camera, it looks like the first Sigma cam that is hard to make fun of.

17. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Hahah, well, it's still really easy to make fun of if you want to. Long-flange DSLR lenses that need a microadjustment dock on a CDAF mirrorless camera? The EVF on the right hand side, which is better for neither left-eyed nor right-eyed people, but worse for everyone with hands?

But yes, if the lenses hold up to Foveon's scrutiny, a 17-70/2.8-4 and a 30/1.4 would make a neat little kit, and pretty affordable.

Shame they can't use the native mirrorless Sigma lenses that Sigma basically designed for the DP series, like the 14/f4, 19/2.8, 30/2.8, and 60/2.8 (not exact analogues to the DP0, 1, 2, 3 but much closer than incidental).

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  18. tkbslc

Points taken! I guess I was trying to say that it is the first one that isn't an instant deal breaker for 99.9% of photographers. :)

That EVF would be murder for a left-eyed person though.

19. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Sigma looks cool, but I have too many cameras who need my attention!

20. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

What is the crop factor on this 1.5/6x like aps-c cameras or is 1.8x like their DP line of cameras?