1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

So who's buying the new PEN?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Johnny The Greek, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Johnny The Greek

Johnny The Greek Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    Not me.

If the PEN-F is to be the new "stylish" retro body for the Olympus line, can anyone explain who they are marketing it to? I see Fuji selling more bodies as a result of this.

2. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think there might be a misconception with peoples idea of what the specs are so far. My feeling is that Olympus is trying to get more users to be more creative 'in camera' & not just shooting in raw & then spending all that time in PP. Think back to when creative effects were done with film (yes, some things were done in the dark room too) with various types of filters that were attached to the lens etc. Basically the desired photo was created at the time of exposure & I think that if more photographers stopped trying to push the best in PP but instead explored all the possibilities of what can be achieved just with the camera then maybe this camera might be valued & appreciated more than what many are overlooking now. It is too easy to poo poo the art filters etc & say, "I only shoot in raw", when some creative outputs maybe achieved differently to the general means. Anyhow, this is a comment that O made about the camera on a rumour site, referring to the 'curves' adjustment 3 position selection switch (under the mode dial).

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    This makes me wonder how many people use the Art filters in the PEN cameras. I doubt we are a representative sample.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm not currently in the market for a replacement for my E-M10. When I am, however, I will seriously look at the Pen F. I am very interested in how the curve and mono features work. I look forward to the creative possibilities.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    honestly, I've used the Art filters with some pretty nice effect (heh) on occasion. I went through a stint where I was processing RAW files in camera only (just for fun) and it's easy to apply the filters after-the-fact. They work really well and are a fun alternative to instagram filters when you're hooked up over wifi. They're an additional creative tool if you want to play with them.

I do wish the Olys had some more "serious" effects built in. I'm pretty jealous of the Fuji film simulations, though I get those and more with DxO Filmpack.

oh, and to answer the OP's question, I don't think i'm going to buy the Pen-F until I've seen more about it. I'm really holding out for the EM1II. I would buy the Pen-F as a backup to that camera when the price comes down.

6. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    I hadn't heard about a "curve feature". Isn't that the same as what we have now with the shadow and highlight controls?

7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It looks like a great camera. I'm not sure it offers enough improvements to tempt EM5 II or EM1 users to upgrade, but it might prompt others to try a high end Olympus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    As I said in the other other thread, I don't think it is supposed to replace the E-M5. It gives another form factor for those that prefer it. Or an option as a second camera that is just as powerful.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Johnny The Greek

Johnny The Greek Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    So in other words, a competitive rangefinder to the Panasonic line but with lousier video specs?

I am fully aware that the price will decrease before very long, and it will seem like a trendy alternative to the competition, but pairing it with the 17mm f1.8 at quite an increase in initial cost will not do Olympus any favors. Nor will pairing it with the mediocre EZ lens.

I dunno, before I bought either of my cameras, I did a great deal of research and found that the "top of the line" camera was not the best value for my $$$. If I were a new buyer, I'd be more swayed by the E-M10 mk2, as neither the new PEN nor it are very pocketable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. astron

astron Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 12, 2015
    Anyone else think that it's kinda weird the new PEN-F looks more like a Leica III than an original PEN-F? It has so many knobs and dials!

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Ross the fiddler

Yes, but it includes mid-tones too now, as well as being adjustment for effects too.

• Like Like x 1
  12. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm not sure how I could even begin to answer given that final pricing and specs have not been announced.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ross the fiddler

The specifications of the upcoming Olympus PEN-F camera leaked online:

• New 20MP Live MOS sensor
    • 50MP high resolution mode
    • 5-axis camera shake correction. Correction effect five stages (CIPA)
    • Creative dial: direct access to four functions
    • EVF is 2.36 million dot organic EL (S-OVF mode to extend the dynamic range)
    • Mechanical shutter: 60 - 1/8000 seconds
    • The electronic front curtain shutter (anti-shock mode): 60 - 1/320 seconds
    • Electronic shutter (silent mode): 60 - 1/16000 seconds
    • Video full HD60p
    • Interval Shooting
    • 4K time-lapse movie
    • Continuous shooting: 10 fps (5 fps with AF tracking)
    • Wi-Fi built-in
    • Remote control via smartphone
    • 3 inches 1.03 million dots swivel LCD monitor
    • AF tracking pad: EVF is capable of moving the AF point in the touch panel when in use
    • Media: SDHC / SDXC (UHS-II compatible)
    • External flash FL-LM3 included (?): guide number 9.1, bounce possible
    • ISO range: 200-25,600 (LOW: ISO 80)
    • Available in black and silver
    • Price is £999 for the body only, £1,099 for the 14-42mm EZ lens kit and £1,199 for the 17mm f/1.8 lens kit
    The official announcement is on January 27th.

Via Digicame-info

• Like Like x 1
  14. tkbslc

Exactly, it's still a few days away. I'll comment then. Rumors and leaks are not the same as facts.

15. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

I'm pretty sure this camera is not aimed at me based on what's come out so far (seems to be - "people who will drop insane amounts of money on an instagram camera"). TBH between the PEN-F and the GX8 - if this is where things are going - I'm starting to feel glad I didn't spend up huge amounts on m43 glass and started collecting MF lenses instead.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ross the fiddler

My last purchase (early last year) was a used 4/3's lens (50-200 SWD) as I couldn't afford the Pro glass that I would have liked.

17. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I don't know for sure, but I doubt I'll buy it. The only thing that might persuade me is if the new sensor offers a worthwhile improvement in DR or noise. Although, even if that were the case, I think I'll just wait for the new E-M1.

JPEG fluff doesn't do it for me at all - and of course there's the flippy screen to contend with!

18. tkbslc

People are bashing the color filters, but honestly the Fuji film simulations are a very popular feature for their cams. Just looking at it you can tell it's a durect Fuji competitor, so it makes some sense.

Also, I'm not sure there is to much to complain about in regards to m43 direction. We've had the G7 and m10 II last year for those on the lower end of pricing spectrum.

• Like Like x 1
  19. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    Sure, in 3 years when they're blowing them out for $300.

Honestly--it looks like the perfect camera for me, just don't have the scratch to buy something new all the time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Welll.... I mean, the Fuji thing is weird - I get the impression that they have a much larger forum mindshare than they do mirrorless marketshare, so I'm not sure to what extent whatever they're doing is relevant to begin with, let alone how relevant that specific feature is. It's another thing where similar to olympus's art filters - because I genuinely don't know - I have to ask, are people really using the film emulation modes on their fuji cameras? Are there tonnes of these photos around? It may just be that I don't run into them much looking at macro work but I can't remember seeing any of them outside of "test_of_what_this_looks_like.jpg" on the odd review. Is it a ghost feature that makes it to the back of the box and people tell each other to check out, but nobody ever really uses?

The G7 and E-M10-2 are kind of the other half of what makes me really question whether I picked the right system - in many ways identical to, in some ways a step back from what I have with the E-P5 and VF-4, only more expensive, and years later, and the new features are hardly killer ones for my purposes ("4k with a huge crop! focus stacking .. that doesn't work with flash!"). Alternatives in the form of GX8 and PEN-F are either much bigger, or muuuch more expensive cameras that still have weird limitations and don't really quite hit all the same feature sets either. If this is what M43 is locked into going forward over the next 2-3 years, like it was with the 16mp cameras, I can't see myself persisting with it.

• Useful Useful x 1