So, who is waiting for the 40-150mm F2.8?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ntblowz, Sep 10, 2013.

1. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
  2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    me. Don't know if I can wait a year though.

Gordon

3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I was, got tired of waiting so got the 35-100 instead.
    Since I've discovered that the 35-100 is a really fantastic lens BUT its a just too big and this new Oly looks (based on early leaked images) to be WAY bigger than even the 35-100 Pana. The Pana is already bigger than what I would want for a m43 lens and I fear this new Oly would be a lot bigger than that. Sucks though, I'd like the extra reach of this lens.

But, I guess I won't be giving up hope until it is officially announced and I know for certain exactly how big it is.

4. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I wouldn't buy a lens that large - physically. It defeats the purpose of Mu43. I will be happy with the P14-140 3.5-5.6 (if it ever shows). And if I am going to buy a lens that needs a tripod mount, it has to go to at least 300mm (600mm 35mm equiv) with extreme clarity.

• Like Like x 1
  5. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
  6. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    ^^^While it may be big for u4/3, I bet it is much smaller than the dslr alternatives. So many people want a faster high quality telephoto, but when the size and price of such a lens is known, no one seems to actually want to buy one. A lens like this would probably end up being my favorite lens, but unfortunately my budget will probably prevent me from getting one, as much as I'd like to have it. I guess I'll have to make do with my 40-150 and save up for a 100-300 eventually. But I'd LOVE this lens.

7. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I'd love it too for the reach, the apparent top notch build and IQ and the price would for me fortunately not be an issue....but it looks to be an absolute honker of a big lens so that counts it out. Like I said, the P35-100 is pretty much already bigger than I'd want but only just, so I compromised. However, I do imagine that a lot of people won't mind one bit the size and for them this looks to be an amazing lens.

8. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    That Lens will probably be the last nail in the FF coffin for me. That means that next fall, I will sell my beloved Canon 70-200 f/2.8L and finalize my switch to micro 4/3. It might be big but it will still be a lot lighter and smaller than my 5D2+70-200.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  9. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I didn't realize that that was a picture of the MFT version. Thought it was the FT version. Yikes, that thing is huge. And even if pictures can look misleading. You know it's huge if there's a tripod collar. Now, I wonder why Olympus didn't go for a variable aperture telezoom. I just passed GAS. :p

10. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    This would be perfect for my telephoto needs, which are generally wildlife related (willing to carry some weight for quality/aperture), provided they release a good quality teleconverter to go with it. 110-420 at constant F/4.0 sounds fantastic...

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    No it doesn't.
    Where else are you going to get an 80-300 (35mm FOV) ƒ2.8 lens that is as small as the M. Zuiko 40-150?

• Like Like x 1
  12. CarlG

CarlG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Carl
  13. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    Not sure I have the patience, may spring for the 35-100mm/2.8 to settle my GAS needs :)

14. Then you're missing the other half of the purpose of Micro 4/3.

15. Blotzphoto

Blotzphoto Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    Cincinnati
    Lou Doench
    I'll also chime in that everything m43 looks big in pictures. I'll wait to see how it looks mounted to something before I decide its too big. Not that I really need such a beast, I'd be happier with a 150/2.8 (or even f4) prime.

16. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    I'm of two minds on this:

On one hand, I think the 40-150 is too large for me. I'd (ideally) prefer the extra reach of the 150mm, but let's be real here, a lens with that kind of reach and speed HAD to be this big.

On the other hand, I like the (slightly) wider end of the 35-100. I like mid-zooms as they suit my shooting style, but there's always that subject that's just barely too wide for it, forcing me to pull out my 12-35. In a way this is kind of a relief, given that I just (as in, yesterday from the post office) picked up the 35-100.

All-in-all, I say this is a great thing for M4/3. The 40-150 and the 35-100 are filling two distinct niches. One is a remarkably portable fast zoom in the traditional 70-200mm length. The other is a new and useful FL in a package roughly the size of a traditional 70-200mm lens. Olympus and Panasonic have always tried to fill different niches rather than duplicate the other's efforts. They've done that again here though I'd be hard pressed to say the 12-35 and 12-40 are anything other than direct competitors.

17. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Tripod collar = ginormous lens (or at least front heavy). Given Olympus' track record, they're going to make it as small as they can and I'm sure it will be compared to any DSLR counterpart. But I guess I was praying for an Olympus engineering miracle here (or that they instead came up with a variable aperture smaller telephoto zoom). Seeing the tripod collar on that pretty much dashed all my hopes and wishes. :(

18. neofx19

neofx19 Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2012
    Vancouver
    this lens is my dream lens. arguably, the 80-300mm 2.8 throughout the entire zoom range can be extremely useful compared to the 70-200mm. but waiting one year...! ouch. ..

19. hookgrip

hookgrip Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2013
    This is just a hunch, but judging from the pictures, it looks like the 40-150 f/2.8 will be similar in size to the Canon 200mm f/2.8L, perhaps a bit larger.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]