So who is this Grant guy and do I really care?

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Grant, May 17, 2010.

1. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

When confronted with a blank pixels and an obligation to introduce oneself my mind goes blank. What do people want to know?

I live in or around Lunenburg Nova Scotia, a place so pretty that you can throw a camera on the ground and get a good shot.

I am new at Micro 4/3 but not to photography. I do make pictures, almost daily, but seldom throw the camera to the ground. I am reasonably proficient in both photography and photoshop, and I guess that mean nothing unless you understand what my idea of proficient is. I am very kind to others images but very critical of my own. I do enjoy helping others but tend to shoot by myself. When it comes to the art of photography I am very opinionated. When it comes to Equipment I tend to be a minimalist and only buy what I will use. Presently I shoot with Nikon and Panasonic.

If there is anything you feel I have missed please ask.

2. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    my moms family is from antogonish nova scotia, been there a few times myself

the maritime prov are some of the most beautiful areas of north america

3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Grant and I'm sure you'll find we do care. Must try that 'throw camera on thr ground' technique.

4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Grant, thanks so much for your introduction.
    What a wonderful description of where you live, and it certainly goes along with everything I've heard!

I look forward to your involvement here and hope to have a chance to see some of your photographs soon.:flowers_2:

5. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Welcome Grant, I'm looking forward to seeing photos of your part of the world. Start throwing those cameras and post some photos!

6. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Welcome Grant, I hope you will make yourself at home here :friends:

Cheers

Brian

7. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

Camera throwing

There's a group on flickr that take photos throwing their cameras into the air!

Flickr: Camera Toss

8. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Hi Grant, that's one of the best introductions I've read! I'll sure look out for your posts. :smile:

9. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Hi Grant,

I'm also waiting for your pics.:thumbup:

10. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

Well, you want to see some of my image ... oh my. I never post old images so all you will ever see is my current stuff. Here is a test shot I did last night, with a bit of a description.

[​IMG]

I have shot this image before but this is with my new camera. I was out last night and on my way home I decided to stop and test my new camera. With me I had my Panasonic DMC-GF1 with a 20 mm f/1.7 as well as the Nikon D300 with a 35 mm f/2.0 lens. I set both on manual, at ISO 200, and 1/30 second. Then I shot this same shot wide open with both camera.

I have desperately wanted a good “walk around” camera I have always had bad luck with point and shoots and I have become very cautious about new one. So I wanted to test this one out.

Both image turned out very close but … First the Nikon was slightly sharper. Second but more interesting was that the Panasonic handled the shadows much better than the Nikon. While the difference in resolution was minimal the Panasonic bested the Nikon by about 1 full stop into the shadows.

It is a bit early to make a definitive statement about this new camera but at this point I am very, confident given the quality of the images and the fact that it comes in under a pound, that I have found the “Walk around” camera of my dreams.

11. BBW

Grant, many thanks for this - the lighting is lovely. So this was taken with the GF1 and the Panasonic 20mm? I am pretty sure it must be but became a bit confused when you wrote about "the Canon" besting the Nikon, perhaps you meant Panasonic?

I'm going to be sure to look at more of your flickr stream, too!

12. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

Woops, I can be so dozy at times indeed it should have read Panasonic. While I have in the past owned two Canons a G1 and a G10 they were very disappointing to me. Not that they were bad cameras but they didn't do what I wanted.

• Like Like x 2
  13. BBW

Typos are easy, so is transposing a camera company's name.:wink:

So glad to hear your finding this to be a superior walk around camera.:thumbup: