1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

So what's going to be hot at Photokina?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by robbie36, Aug 20, 2014.

1. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Well Sony's going to release a new camera. Well that's hardly news is it. But this one is special.

A 1/2.3 inch sensor
    3 inch 920k lcd
    fixed 21mm f2 lens

Now why would they be doing that?

Well take a look at this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db1K4qeS5NM#t=433

Yes... selfie cams are seriously hot. The Casio exlim 35 is selling for US$1500 on Amazon.....

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-Exilim-...m_sbs_p_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1MYRTKEHTRH98FW5CN4H

And the older model is the same price still....

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-Exilim-...m_sbs_p_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0QHMV9RRP51X9AX09DRR

And listen to the reviewers gush about it....

'This thing is AMAZING! I can now take selfies like a professional. Whether it is in the bathroom, or in front of a water fountain I can now take perfect selfies wherever I go. People of FaceBook are nearly jealous of the absolute quality of the pictures. Always asking me, "How do you look so dang good taking selfies?". I one point, I thought it was my good looks but it was actually the camera! This thing has 12,100,000 pixels! For short, that is 12 mega pixels. People always tell me that $1000 for a selfie camera is ridiculous but I always tell them that at least I can do post production on my selfies on the fly! It also has a stand which allows me to stand it on any surface.'

So in the age of the smart phone, the camera manufacturers learn one thing. Well if you can beat them you might as well join them.

• Like Like x 1
  2. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    Let's go to the dark side!

3. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    scott
    Pathetic bunch of self obsessed idiots with money to burn!

• Like Like x 2
  4. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Hoping for great things from the new Panasonic LX8. Rumors are possibly a 1-inch sensor which would be amazing. I think they dropped the ball with the LX7 by staying so small with the sensor at a time when Sony were running with the RX100.

5. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    I'll be excited to see what Olympus is bringing. Would love to see the 150mm f2.8 Panasonic lens

6. blindinglight

blindinglight Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2014
    Thailand
    Rommel
    Hoping we'll see fast primes from Olympus or Panasonic. Hopefully enough to tide us over while we wait for the next generation of flagship bodies. Will also be eyes wide open if another company will put their foot forward and join the mirrorless FF dance.

7. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Nice attitude

• Like Like x 1
  8. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Wow, that strongly set off my astroturf detector.

9. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    :thumbup:
    :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    :rofl:

Of course, if you go by the theory that you should invest your money in things that you actually use, this camera may be perfect for many. The rest is sociology.

11. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    I'm actually excited by the 40-150 F2.8 lens. If it is as optically excellent as the 12-40 and SHG Olympus zooms of the past (and I've no doubt it will given that even the 12-40 exceeds the previous 12-35 SHG in performance and versatility) then Olympus will likely be onto another winner.
    I'm also looking forward to firmware improvements in the camera itself - I would love to see them take the opportunity to do a good re-write on Olympus Viewer 3. It runs like a dog.

On the fuji side of the fence, I'm looking forward to what they do with the XT1 and rumors are pointing at a firmware update that provides electronic shutter and 1/32000 shutter speed and electric shutter. If Fuji can manage that without any dynamic range consequences I know a lot of people that will seriously reconsider the XT1 + XF56mm combo for daylight shooting. So again I'm interested to see what firmware improvements they bring.
    I'm also excited to see the rumors X100T (which would likely bring a new XTrans and possibly be the sensor found in the XPro 2).

Canon/Nikon. I've no real interest in anything they can bring.... a 1dx replacement? Does it have EVF? No. Ok then I don't care!

Sony: I'm excited to see what lenses they bring to the A7 line. The 55mm F1.8 is beautiful. I'd love to see Sony's interpretation of a portrait 85mm lens for this system. Particularly interested to see how they balance the size of such a lens with the speed of the lens if such a lens was to be announced. Sony have done some really interesting stuff lately. I've been tempted quite a few times until I picked it up and tried using it and then I miss IBIS.
    I'd be interested if they released an A99 mk ii - one of the most underrated FF cameras available and my personal favorite of the bunch. EVF. Image stabilisation. Good video tracking potential. Innovative AF-D (depth tracking in AF).
    They have a lot of good stuff in the existing A99 that I would like to see them extend.

Pentax ... don't really have any interesting right now.

Sigma : The Quattro was recently released and it is very exciting as somebody who enjoys medium format film from time to time. Just I'm not sure that I would want to go back to a slow shooting and production environment again with such a system.

Thats my 0.02. :)

12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Nikon D750. If Nikon is going back to the basics, this will probably be a no-holds bar full frame camera that's high speed and fast focusing while tracking...things mirrorless still has a long way to go in matching.

13. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    An Olympus medical imaging sales rep told me that there new lenses for the Sony A7.

• Like Like x 2
  14. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Would believe that when I see it! Unless Olympus were going to create their own e-mount camera (not very likely), I don't see why they would invest in a competitors product that ultimately is fighting for a piece of the same mirrorless niche pie. One of the biggest advantages right now for m43 is the glass ecosystem. Why bolster a competitor who has a well known lack of native glass available.
    That being said I think Olympus makes great glass so it would be great to see something from them on the new Sony a7 series :)

15. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Oh, apologies. I should have clarified that.
    It's not Olympus that's going to be making lenses for Sony products.
    The Olympus rep was merely stating the Sony will be introducing new lenses for the A7.

16. mazg

mazg Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    I'm interested in the lens Panasonic mentioned at the show in the spring - they originally said it was a smaller 35-100 2.8 replacement, but later reports suggested the rep made a mistake and it is not a new f/2.8 version of the existing lens... but they didn't mention what it actually is. I'd be interested in a 35-100 f/4 constant aperture if it was significantly less $$$ than the f/2.8.

Has anyone heard any rumours about what the rep was referring to?

17. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    I think subsequent images of that lens were circulating and it was a variable aperture lens with f2.8 at the wide end.

18. nardoleo

nardoleo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    Singapore
    Leo
    it will be interesting if they introduced the rumoured Olympus Trip 35 Digital. I read about this rumour a while back and a cam like that will definately be awesome.

19. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    A Trip Digital would be excellent, let's hope the rumours are true!