1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

So what ever happened to the Canon EF lens to µ4/3 electronic adapter ?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by RDM, Dec 9, 2012.

1. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I remember that I had seen it talked about often a year or so ago, but nothing has been mentioned since . Birger Engineering was developing the first ever Canon lens adapter for the AF100 µ4/3 mount camera, with full support for AF, aperture control on the camera body, and optical image stabilisation (IS).
    It was said that the powered adapter will feed off the Micro 4/3rds lens mount and control Canon EF mount lenses via the appropriate electrical protocols and contacts. And there was even an article that said it would work for the GH2 also.

Well I have yet to hear about anyone using such an adapter and I don't even think Birger actually released it for sale yet. There is another company called redrock with and adapter but they advertise it only for the AF100 video camera.

Does anyone know if there are such plans for an adapter from anyone else? I mean Sony Nex users have such an adapter already.

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    RedRock Micro claim it works with all MFT cameras - says so right on the page you linked to. What it doesn't do is anything other than aperture control - IS and autofocus don't get a mention.

3. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I looked into them some time ago. From what I remember, they only offered electronic control of aperature, not autofocus or IS. The expense of it wouldn't be worth it for me. The only EF lens I use on my Gf1 is my EF 400mm, and I don't use the combination very often.

4. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Right, that's what I mean about the redrock adapter. I would love the option to be able to use high quality Fast and very long telephotos with IS on my µ4/3 camera. However the price that is being charged is a lot of money to spend for just an aperture control adapter. It does not do AF or IS, whereas Birger claimed "full support for AF, aperture control on the camera body, and optical image stabilization (IS)." On the birger company website they have no sign of such an adapter coming to market, but they now show work on an EF lens to work on the Sony NEX mount too.
    I wonder if they might decide to abandon the µ4/3 mount adapter idea and focus on the Nex adapter instead.

update:
    I just seen a video that confused me some. I think it might mean they are leaning to the Sony mount more.

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I assume you mean an adapter that does AF, as the existing RedRock LiveLens adapter gives you aperture control of EF lenses on m4/3?

The only Canon AF adapter currently available is the one from Metabones. Unfortunately, even it only AFs with a subset of Canon lenses (non of the current L lenses are in that group). And AF is quite slow.

As to stabilization, the easiest option is to get an Olympus body which gives IS with all lenses, including manual ones.

I don't know if an AF adapter for EF to m4/3 will be coming any time soon, but I suspect even if it does, it will have similar caveats.

6. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I think if just Aperture control and I.S. worked then the redrock adapter would be worth it. I feel I.S. is pretty important, and the main reason that I would want to use a canon mount lens is to have a fast quality telephoto that doe not cost as much as a Zuiko SHG lens.

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    If you want a fast quality tele and don't need AF, why not go for a legacy lens? With the Canon you'd be spending a lot more money both for the lens and the adapter. As noted before, if you need stabilization, there are plenty of m4/3 bodies that can provide that.

8. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    APO corrected legacy lenses are often more expensive than current EF lenses. I already have a half-dozen EF mount tele's better than any legacy lens.

9. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    That's a good point. I have several FD lenses and I much prefer using them on the Gf1. The EF 400mm is mainly used with my 5D Mark II. I only use it on the Gf1 in a pinch when I need more reach, in effect using the Gf1 as a 2X converter.
    Personally, I hate lenses without manual control of aperature, even on a camera that can control them. I'd much rather be able to see at a glance how my lens is set, than have to press buttons, turn dials and look at LCD's to find out. Focusing manually is also easier with the older lenses than it is with the newer autofocus lenses.

10. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

LOL :biggrin: I liked that, how you started by asking a question and finished by answering it. Nice hehe .. Anyway to address that last part I need a built in view finder and the OMD is the only Body like that.

True, if one was buying A canon Branded lens and only wanted one lens and the adapter it would not make sense, but the adapter could be used with multiple lenses and if someone already has EF mount lenses or access to some, then just such an adapter is a quite inexpensive compared to purchasing and OMD and fast legacy Glass. (And who knows how sharp a fast telephoto legacy lenses would be compared to a new Pro Digital telephoto lens made, for a crop sensor camera)(compared wide open of course)