So, what does the R mean?

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
It means Resolution on other Canons, which isn't a big help, since this is lower-resolution than those.

The mount is RF which sounds like shorthand for RangeFinder but it's a DSLR-style body. The EF mount stands for Electro-Focus, so if this is supposed to have a family association, then it is...Retro-Focus? Except that it's a short-flange mount, so theoretically it can use non-retrofocus designs for wide-angles.

...honestly, I got nothing.

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
It means Canon want to confuse people.
They had a R mount introduced for their first SLR in March 1959 & discontinued in 1964, predating the FL & FD mounts.
Of course the two are far from compatible, the original was a breech lock with a registration more than double the new R mount.

D

Deleted member 20897

I can't say as it is not "politically correct". :sorry:

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
Well it's good to see everyone is as confused as me on this...

It means Resolution on other Canons, which isn't a big help, since this is lower-resolution than those.

Right... (wonders if that's it, the EOS Right)

The mount is RF which sounds like shorthand for RangeFinder but it's a DSLR-style body.

Nods ... (slow hmm yeah)...

The EF mount stands for Electro-Focus, so if this is supposed to have a family association,

That's my thoughts... But as you say

then it is...Retro-Focus? Except that it's a short-flange mount, so theoretically it can use non-retrofocus designs for wide-angles.

Maybe...

...honestly, I got nothing.

Same here, I'm down to wondering if it's related to that Japanese get R and mixed up [segway : when I lived in Japan I stood in on a few English teaching classes where some lovely young girls wanted to pass the English requirements for JAL. All wrote essays on why they wanted to become a Fright Attendant ], if I shouldn't be looking at L words...

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom