1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

So what do you think about the new GH5?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by marz, Sep 19, 2016.

1. marz

marz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2011
    Pyrenees, France
    It's supposedly being announced as I write this, so tell me, what do you think?

2. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    Seems it will do 8K?

3. marz

marz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2011
    Pyrenees, France
    They definitely seem to be suggesting that!

4. marz

marz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2011
    Pyrenees, France
    Details are pretty sketchy. IBIS? Sensor? At least no need to get rid of my GH4 just yet...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    6K? My new computer just choked a little.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
  7. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    They look interesting and pretty close to what is leaked.

• 20 MP sensor (I think a safe assumption since its grabbing 6k stills)
    • 6k 30p still grabs (jpeg)
    • 4k 60p still grabs (jpeg)
    • 4k 60p video
    • 10 bit 4:2:2, but not at 4k 60p (makes sense as the bit rate would probably be higher than any current SD card can handle)

Things I still want to get info on.
    • IBIS
    • crop factor for 4k video

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Anyone know what the UK price will be on this ?

Thanks

Paul

9. srhphoto

srhphoto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 26, 2012
    It seems to me that the GH5 is a video camera that will do stills, while the EM1 mk II is a stills camera that will do video.

As a stills shooter, the GH5 seems so video biased just now that I very much doubt I'd buy it.

10. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    The same thing was said about the GH4, but several still shooters love the thing. For example:

11. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Yeah, I own the GH4 and never understood why people assumed it was always for video only, as it's a great stills camera. It had far better long exposure noise characteristics than the E-M1. Flip-out screen was great for portrait-oriented tripod shots to stitch together in to Panoramas.

Having said that, with the G85 announcement, I think it's safe to say that the GH5 will be more expensive than the GH4 was at launch, moving a bit more up-market. I'm definitely interested in an E-M1 II to use with my 4/3 SWD lenses, but I'm also strongly considering selling my GH4 and picking up a G85, mainly for IBIS with primes (depending on how the Olympus video quality is).

12. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    I'm expecting it to be in the $1800 - $2000 range and personally I'm fine with that. I'm expecting the big selling point will be a 20mp sensor with no low pass filter and 5-axis IBIS.

13. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    It was interesting that there was ZERO mention of IBIS when discussing the camera. They touted a number of other features, and I thought that IBIS would have been one of those (especially given the fact that the G85 has it). I'm wondering if they're having issues getting IBIS to work from a heat-management perspective now that the camera can do 4K 60P, and 4K 30p 4:2:2 10-bit? It seems odd that they wouldn't announce it if it were to be included.

Time will tell...

14. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    My personal opinion is that since it's going to set at the top of the MFT market price wise, they know they have to drop a proverbial bomb. In some ways I think they wanted to see what Olympus put into the E-M1 ii, so they have a clear target to shoot for with regards to still features.

4:2:2 & 10 bit are purely processor issues, so it should not effect sensor/IBIS.

Olympus is claiming the E-M1 ii will do full resolution (20MP) raw at 60fps as long as you don't need auto-focus, and it will have 5-axis IBIS as well. So, technology wise its definitely very doable.

If I had to guess, if there is an issue, it's with the processor not the sensor/IBIS. They are probably close to maxing out the processor, and are working on algorithm optimization, to make sure they have enough headroom. Another possibility is that part way through development they realized they needed a beefier processor, and are now working on that.

15. srhphoto

srhphoto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 26, 2012
    You're absolutely right, and of course I didn't say that it (and the GH4 before it) won't be (weren't) great still cameras. However, I still maintain Panasonic's development and main marketing thrust is biased towards videographers with the GH series. As someone who shoots stills exclusively, I'd be paying for a lot of video functionality and quality, not all of which would necessarily also deliver a benefit to stills, that I personally wouldn't use. That makes it unattractive as a value proposition right now with what is currently known about it.

Right now, the G85 looks to be the model to go for for stills shooters in the Panasonic range.

Simon.

16. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Yeah, I saw that. It seems weird that they didn't mention IBIS when talking about the specs of the camera. IBIS + 4K 60p = drool.

17. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    David is part of a FB group I'm in, and he had this to say when asked about his source.