1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

So... what do you think about the GX8 size?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by nirok, Dec 9, 2015.

1. nirok

nirok Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2014
    and IBIS :)

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. natex

natex Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 22, 2011
    It's size has been overstated by various websites. It's smaller than my old Nikon D40X, Pentax ZX-30 and Minolta SRT; and barely larger than my Panasonic G3 and Minolta Hi-Matic E.

I've not had the opportunity to use the Dual-IS, but the IBIS is decent on its own. Saves 2 stops, at least.

3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    From using it in the shop, its size felt almost identical in the hand to the way I prefer to use my GX7, with an accessory thumb-grip in the hotshoe. So I think I would be happy with that. It's important to try it in person.

I totally agree that the size is overstated. In reality it is slightly smaller than an E-M1 (2.8mm wider, but the EVF hump makes the E-M1 protrude 15.6mm higher), which didn't get the same flak. I guess Panasonic had underestimated just how much people liked the form factor of the GX7. If they'd called this something else (GZ8?) and positioned it as a new line of ultra-high end rangefinder like cameras, I wonder if the media response would have been different.

I think the 4K functionality would be useful, but mostly I think I am missing the fully-articulated monitor. I didn't love how it felt on the GX8, but almost every single time I want to take a high or low angle shot, I end up wanting to switch to portrait, and just getting frustrated with the limitations of the single-tilt monitor on the GX7, so I think it would be put to good use.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    It only seems big because Panasonic built it with an awesome grip. I played with one in store and it felt really nice in hand.

5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, I disagree. It's just too big IMHO. It's bigger than the GX7 by quite a margin and even bigger than the Sony A7 with a sensor 4x the size. I can't really understand why it's this big considering the sensor size.

6. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
    If you look at the back of the GX8, it is unlikely they could have made it much smaller considering the size of the EVF and the rear display. It is similar in size to my Fuji X100, but of course the grip sticks out further. When I first got the GX8, it felt "blocky" because the edges are squared off vs the "melted" edges of the X100. I've become used to it, and am very pleased with the GX8. I wear it on the strap around my neck, and am able to shoot one handed wearing gloves from the motorcycle, which is important to me. The GX8 seems like a perfect match for larger lenses, and appears well matched to the PL15 w/lens hood attached.

Everyone has their own opinion, and their own preferences. What matters is whether YOU like it.

Someone recently took the time to post how they didn't like the post processing on some of my pics.

I don't like Liver, but I don't feel the need to point this out to those who do, or complain to a waiter that they had Liver on the menu.

To each his own...

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    It will pack into a smaller volume than the A7x II because it has fewer protrusions. And once it's in the hand, it doesn't really matter, it's whatever's most comfortable. And it's still smaller than any DSLR.

And for what it's worth, it does more than any A7 model short of the $3200 A7r II, and even then it still has a better UI and some feature benefits. They're really in entirely different categories, though.

8. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I am in the it is too big camp. But this is a personal choice.

The E-M5 body alone is too small, IMO, and the GX-8 is too big. The E-M1 works for me without an extra grip.

9. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Then you should love the GX8, no, since they near enough to identical in size?

10. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Perhaps on paper, but the feel is quite different. I've handled it at a demo event and it is a chunky body for sure.

11. Jon Li

Jon Li Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Jakarta - Indonesia
    GX8 slips out easier from the bag , E-M1 hump always catches something n the eyepiece of the efv comes out from it's holder , constantly . I enjoy the 4K features of GX8 but find E-M1 is still
    better in some ways for still photography .

12. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    If it were approximately the size of my GX7s, I'd have upgraded sight unseen. I am waiting for an opportunity to hold one, then I'll decide. The articulated EVF and larger battery are especially attractive points for me.

13. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    I never think of the size of a gx8

14. Jon Li

Jon Li Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Jakarta - Indonesia
    The battery does not last long , may be due to 4K n IBIS , my next purchase will be for extra battery or batteries . Anyone know the source to purchase at reasonable price ?

15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The camera size website is incredibly useful, but fit in the hand is at least as important for the size differences involved here. The EM1 is nice to hold and use, and I'd like to try the GX8.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I had hold GX8 for awhile, it seems like EM5/EM5II + grip (without Battery part). I surprised the weight when I holding it, it feels lighter than it's look. GX8 has 483g compare EM1's 497g.

17. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I just noticed that the EM5 II weighs 30 gram less than the EM5 and 20 grams more than the GX8. Clearly Olympus jammed stuff in there. I wonder if heat dissipation affects the design. What's the smallest body with 4K video? Maybe lighting up that 20MP sensor makes more heat than other sensors that do 4K.

Edit: Cell phones can handle the heat:

Z5 Premium vs Z5 Compact vs Z3 in 4K video recording overheat test (video)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  18. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I was a bit worried it was going to be too big, but it doesn't feel that way in the hand at all. The GX-7 actually feels a little bit cramped now (and I really like the GX7), compared to the 8. I've only had it a few days, but so far the only thing I wish it had was a built-in flash, for those occasions when I get caught needing a little extra light.

I also like that I finally have two cameras from Panasonic that share a common battery (the G7 and GX8).

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Off the topic, how does its DFD focus compare to the PDAF on EM1 regarding CAF, anyone tried both? I've no doubt that Panasonic with its DFD focus and compatible lenses has the fastest SAF though. We have all seen that TheCameraStore comparison video but that's made before a few major firmware updates applied to the EM1, I've searched youtube but couldn't find an answer.

20. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    On topic: I held the GX8 and didn't like the ergonomics one bit compared to my own E-M10 (gripped) and the E-M5 II I tried alongside it. I guess it's very much (as always) a personal thing - preferences and all. I don't doubt that the GX8 is a fantastic cameras, but for me, the grip felt thoroughly uncomfortable and the dimensions were wrong. For bigger, I prefer big: My D750 is very, very comfortable to hold and use, even with heavy glass attached.

M.

EDIT: Bloody autocorrection ... sorry for the stupid mistake ...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015