So... what did I just buy???

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by lattiboy, Mar 20, 2014.

1. lattiboy

lattiboy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2009

I picked this up reflexively as it was cheap and I just grabbed a Jupiter-9 and plan on grabbing the next nice, cheap Jupiter-3 that pops up. Feeling... Soviet... I guess. :)

What adapter do I need to buy to use this lens on my newly purchased OM-D? I know it's "M39", but it's not LTM M39, it's SLR M39. Will an LTM M39 adapter work?

thanks guys!
  2. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    The E-bay listing claims it's rangefinder M42 mount. Both my ones are M42, and mount fine on SLRs.
    I've never heard of any m42 mounts that don't have the 45.46mm flange distance for SLRs.
    There is the T2 mount which sometimes causes confusion as it's m42x0.75 rather than M42x1, but T2 has a longer flange distance and I don't think its the issue here. (You should be able to check tread pitch by comparing with a filter thread the common ones from 49 to 77mm are all 0.75 pitch)

The m39 you mention, is a likely possibility. Lenses in m39x1 were made to different flange distances 44mm (Paxette) and 45.56mm (Zenith). In addition there are shorter rangefinder ones with 28.8 flange distance in both Cannon (m39x1) and Leica (with a slightly different thread - m39 26tpi) variants.

That comes to quite a wide range of options! When it arrives you can measure the threads (which should be ~0.3mm less across than the quoted diameter) and compare thread pitches with known threads to narrow down the options. If you mount at greater than the specified flange distance you will loose infinity focus but should be able to focus on closer subjects. If you mount the lens too close you may find that the focus ring doesn't turn enough to bring focus down to infinity. Not a useful situation!
  3. lattiboy

lattiboy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2009
    Thanks Mike! That is a lot of info!

So.... which adapter should I buy? Is there even an adapter made that will work? Infinity focus isn't terribly important as this would be primarily for portraiture.
  4. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
  5. bobpur

bobpur Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 11, 2014
    You need a M39 to M4/3 adapter if it is a M39, the M42 to m39 adapter will not give you infinity. I have a few M39 lenses and they all work
    on the adapter as it is a standard like M42.
    Wait until you have the lens as M42 Helios was not used on rangefinders M39 was as it is a shorter mount distance or just buy a few adapters M42, M39 and C mount as you will probably use them in the future and are quite cheap.
  6. Pawel D.

Pawel D. Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Białystok, Poland
    I'm afraid it's not as easy as @bobpur suggests. But it's a good suggestion to wait and measure thread, when lens comes. And try freelensing!

I have similar lens (from Zenit 3M camera) and it has M39 thread, but unusual flange distance (different than common Leica M39, which is 28,80 mm). What you can do is buy M42 adapter, get M42>M39 reducer (as @madmaxmedia showed in links) and customize it a tiny, tiny bit.
    According to M39 thread in Russian Wiki, that lens has M39 thread, but flange focal distance of 45,2 mm. Typical M42 mount flange distance is: 45,5 mm. That's not a big difference and you'll lose just a tiny bit of infinity focus.

Of course you can take M42>MFT adapter with M39 reduction and sand it (M42 part!) until lens focuses infinity. That's the easiest way, but demands a bit of patience ;)
    Finally, as it's Soviet lens, it might not be perfectly manufactured and it could perfectly work on typical M42 flange with M39 reduction :) That's worth checking.

I wanted to show, how to adapt that kind of lens for M4/3 camera, but currently I'm short on cash.