So what am I supposed to with 80M pixels?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ThomD, Feb 7, 2017.

1. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    I was finally playing with high resolution mode and now I don't know what to do with it. Of course, Lightroom won't touch the raw files, maybe someday. I'm going to have to learn Oly viewer. Export a TIff and you get a quarter gigabyte file.

It is a neat feature, I just don't know when I would ever use that many pixels. I feel like I ought to leave some for the next guy.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Wow Wow x 1
  2. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Lightroom has no trouble with the 63MP files from the E-M5 II.

3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I use my E-M5 II's Hi-Res mode to shoot landscape shots. Here are a few examples:

31618121512_1518b6c166_h. Purple Morning in Pittsburgh by Ian Menego, on Flickr

31638866623_ce55068c69_h. Foggy Sunrise - Nokton 25 by Ian Menego, on Flickr

The extra detail that is provided is simply astonishing. It's very handy to have when making large prints on medium that require higher DPI than printing on canvas. Hell, this past weekend I just shot a 3-wide HDR Hi-Res panorama. It's something like 16,000 pixels wide, would easily allow me to print it 4.5-6.5 feet wide, making it great for office spaces, hanging above a couch, etc.

• Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 8
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, but will not touch the 80Mp files from the EM1.2

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Nice shots. Of course there are people that do need that ability. I dunno, 4Mp should be enough for any one. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  6. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I'm sure it will in a future update. In the meantime, just use Olympus Viewer to manipulate the RAW file for your highlights & shadows, save as a JPEG, import in to LR to finish editing (contrast, clarity, white/black point, color toning, etc.).

7. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    4MP is simply not enough for doing large landscape prints. Like you said, there are people who "need" that ability (while I don't "need" it, it certainly does make my life easier, especially when people ask for very large prints). For regular shooting, it's pretty useless. You need a specialized case of where it proves its value, i.e. landscape type shots like I've shown, or product photography where fine detail is important.

I must say, before I got the E-M5 II it's a feature I never even thought about, but now that I have it, I use it whenever the situation permits. It's like night and day comparing the Hi-Res file to the native 16MP file.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    OK, did you really think I was serious? Have you never heard the Bill Gates quote, "640K ought to be enough for anybody."?

I am quite happy to agree that every single tool I use has abilities that I do not use but that others do. It is freakin' awesome that the feature exists.

BTW, those landscapes look great.

9. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    You very well may have been serious. Some people may be fine with 4MP of resolution if all they do is share images via social media, make small prints for family members, memory books, etc.

Like you said, it's great that the cameras have that feature. Not everybody will use it, but then again there are features on my E-M1 and E-M5 II that I don't use. That doesn't mean I wouldn't want them in the camera though. That's why I always laugh at people who say "just give me a camera with a fixed rear screen and no video mode". While that may be the ideal camera for a select group of people, no camera company in their right mind (well, except maybe Leica) would produce a camera like that because they would never be able to recoup the development cost due to it only appealing to a small, targeted market of users. So, put as many features in the camera as you can so it appeals to as many users as possible.

Like I said before, in time LR will support the files (probably at the same time when the final RAW processing for that camera is released). In the mean time, Olympus Viewer should be able to handle them just fine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. AllanG

AllanG Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Allan
  11. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks, but it didn't work for the 80Mp file into Photoshop 2017. Like I said, I don't think I'd use the feature, so it isn't a problem for me. Sort of like not being able to do in camera focus stacking with my lenses - it wasn't a consideration when I bought the camera, so I won't miss it.

12. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Save the image as a TIFF so you can do all the manipulation in LR that you typically do with ORF files.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    One way you can make good use of all those pixels - other than make huge prints - is to use Zoomify and put the image on the web. The user can zoom in and see every pixel. I use this program for panoramas with far more pixels than that, it works very well.

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    Maybe it's just me, but creating a 80MP raw file and then saving it as JPEG for further editing sounds like a contradiction to me. I would save it as TIFF.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    I use high res mode anytime I slap my E-M5 II on a tripod. I have some big 30 in. plus prints from it hanging on my wall and they look amazing. It has limitations mainly the 8 sec., f/8 cap, but it's useful in a lot of situations. High Res mode, 5-axis IBIS and the plethora of excellent lenses makes M43 one of the best well-rounded small cameras available!

A couple examples:
    28954671842_4f62724118_b.
    la_skyline
    by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

32170410785_97890a055c_b.
    170107_DTLA_Night_FRIOLO_001

31320231950_0977ed85ed_b.
    dtla_02

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 6
  16. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror! Subscribing Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I can't stand ov3...and you're right, the conversion of the 80m raws result in a massive tif file. Therefore I've decided to just shoot with high Rez jpg only...and if needed, just edit that file. Yes I understand that I loose detail, but since I'm on a tripod at that point I'm already slowing down my process, and therefore my exposure is usually spot on. At that point I decide whether or not I need to bracket +/- 1 to 1.5 outside of normal exposure. Then I merge those in LR to make a realistic HDR (ish) type image. I'd rather do that (which sounds like a lot, but really it's not) and stay in LR. Once they start supporting it, I'll go back to raw.

17. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Neither do I, and I don't care.

18. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere

Aug 19, 2016
    Burnaby, BC
    Moooooaaaar cropping!

:speechless:

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. I can not wait to get one of the new EM1 mark 2s just for that reason. Because I like taking landscape photos. Huge and better quality files allows you to crop better. Really not interested in the A7rII for a number of reasons. Love the way the EM1 handles, how fast it is and the size of the lenses.

20. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    You guys are funny, I have large prints using high res mode and you can definitely see the difference when going big. If all you're doing is posting to Facebook, perhaps 4mp is all most people need! :p

• Agree Agree x 5