so theres hope after all....2013

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Chrisnmn, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Reading on the Olympus Facebook page one Olympus REP states the following.

Olympus AU: Ryan, the 12-60mm seems to be a popular request. I have no visibility beyond the new 17mm f1.8 lens announcement so we'll have to see what 2013 holds.

also theres some response to a dude that asked for the 4/3 crowd.

Olympus AU: HI Brad, Olympus stated in February that they intend to continue support for the 4/3 DSLR range. As you can see, there has been a lot of time and effort put in to getting the m4/3 range to maturity. We'll see what comes down the pipeline.

its definitely interesting times and at least Olympus IS listening their crowd.

2. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    If they don't listen to their fans, they die. That simple, really.

They don't have the luxury to present the same old microwaved dinner (cough... Canon... cough) and they certainly have to prioritize their resources.

That doesn't mean to implement whatever goofy idea "fans" may have, they have to inovate at some point too, but nobody said being a succesful camera manufacturer was supposed to be easy.
  3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I'm skeptical. It's encouraging to know that regional reps are cognizant of the demand for a 12-60, but the truth of the matter is that they have tremendously little pull at a traditional Japanese firm like Olympus. It's often said that the reps are the last to know when a new product is announced, and that's generally not far wrong. If somebody at Olympus Japan had something to say on the matter, I'd put more stock into it.

4. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    now post #3 is just like a cold shower...:eek:

just when i was getting excited, lol!!:biggrin:
  5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Those comments from Oly seem like typical non-statements. Basically, they're saying "I don't know what's coming soon, and next year I won't know what's coming then, either."
  6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    I think that the OP is reading too much into FB posts.
  7. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Agreed. The recent trends from Oly have been fast primes and slow compact zooms. Panasonic has a couple excellent primes but went with the fast zooms over higher end primes more recently - both have their merits and it goes to show that both companies prefer not to step on each others toes generally speaking.
  8. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Well Panasonic (a japanese company) does have a 12-35/2.8, granted the tele end isn't at 60mm, they do have something that covers wide to norm. with a straight 2.8 thru the range (granted it's 1300$)

Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 Asph. Lens H-HS12035 B&H

And olympus does have a 12-50 (variable aperture slower though)

Olympus 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 ED M.Zuiko EZ Micro 4/3 V314040SU000

I just don't think you can really go from that wide to approaching tele without some kind of sacrifice (be it size or the aperture). But the simple fact that a 12-35/2.8 exists from a japanese company seems to lessen the blow of your comment.

PS: some companies do add to speculation as a way to see how the consumer market reacts to such hype and speculation, but like you said, it's no real way of knowing til it's actually said at the head.
  9. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    While this statement is supported by facts up to date, there is another aspect to the whole situation.

No company (and certainly not Olympus) can afford to ignore their technological legacy, especially if it's possible to bring it up to date. Four Thirds Zuiko lenses constitute such a legacy which, given a modest R&D investment , can be ported to :43:.

My opinion is that the only reason Olympus hasn't ported SHG zoom lenses such as the 14-35 f/2.0 yet is the final product cost consideration. There is currently no considerable volume of pros/semi-pros using :43: cameras in the market; which would justify the cost of one or more ~$2000 lenses. This is certainly changing and will (probably) be a whole new game by next year. This is why I believe by 2013 we will see high grade :43: zooms from Olympus too.