1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

So the NX100 guy boasts he has a 200mm lens!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Peezie, May 1, 2012.

1. Peezie

Peezie Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2011
    Toronto
    Heys guys,

Just a quick funny story.

So this staff appreciation day at work i decided to volunteer to take pictures of all the events of the day. I mainly used my Canon 7d with 50mm & 20mm for all the pictures using an external flash. Also used the GF1 with 20mm for the non flash pictures here and there. Challenging lighting made the Canon more favourable due to the flash.

Another employee was also taking pictures with his NX100. A few instances where people got tired of posing for him because he couldnt get the picture right on the first shot (using on board flash). I know this from him jumping in to take the same picture i had set up and watch the assistants get annoyed when it only took me one shot while he fired of 3 to 4 shots after me.:biggrin:

He has also seen me use my GF1 around work since i am also doing the pictures for the internal website for our upcoming renovations. I also volunteered and have started the before, during, after pictures of what our firm looks like. You will all be glad to know I am exclusively only using my GF1 14mm & 20mm for this project. Although i do not have a super wide angle i made do with stiching the picture in PS.

Long story short I've been told by 2 people that he is boasting he could take better pictures for the firm because he has a 200mm lens for his NX100. I'm not saying the nx100 doesnt take great pictures but dont boast about better picture because of a 200mm lens.

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Buy a 600mm mirror. That'll show him.

• Like Like x 5
  3. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Depends on the situation, a 200 lens might mean better pictures for the firm.

Have you seen his pictures? Maybe they are better than yours.

4. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    At least with a 200mm, he couldn't ask for retakes anymore... He'd be too far away :D

5. Peezie

Peezie Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2011
    Toronto
    I should have been more detailed, the pictures taken were indoors with very limited space. 80% of my pics were with my canon 20mm = 32mm. 15% with 50mm = 80mm (FF) and the other 5 was with my panny 20mm = 40mm(ff). I doubt his 200mm would have taken better pictures.

I havent seen his pictures, nor was i judging his skill or lack of. It just seemed arrogant to say he could take better because he has a 200mm. I have a canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS and im sure i couldnt have been better than what i had used.

6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I wouldn't say this is arrogant so much as it's a non sequitur. The focal length one uses doesn't necessarily have a direct bearing on the quality of images one makes. That he apparently believes otherwise leads me to believe he doesn't know as much about photography as he thinks he does.

• Like Like x 2
  7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Hate to say this, but intelligence doesn't seem to be a perquisite for hiring ... you're out there stitching together 14mm stuff (28mm in 35mm parlay) and he's out there with a 200mm (300mm in 35mm parlay).

He must have a hell of a stitch program. I must admit to siding with the 28mm over a 300mm for company shots (unless the company is agricultural or a pro sports team). On the flip side ... in photography, on occasion thinking outside the box, can be a plus.

G

8. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi
    Please don't feel offended but what we are supposed to judge from this long story ? U are a great photographer and have a semi pro Canon 7D with couple of good primes and u also use MFT system with nice primes and then other poor guy has NX100 and only one lens which is 200mm one ? Then???what next?Its very odd to find someone novice jumping straightway on 200 mm lens as often they use kit lens . Its very good to hear that u r doing some work for ur company and using MFT camera . If I was in ur place I would have walked up to him and said a few words about his camera and the lens .I would have tried to see his captures and find out the reason for bringing 200mm lens on such an even and offered a polite and friendly advice . If u have knowledge then share it and don't sound arrogant and make fun of others . My apologies for being a bit straightforward but thats me .If I know something I will share and If I don't know I will ask people to teach me . No ego , no arrogance .:smile::smile::smile:
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Most of the good shooters that I know do not boast about anything...:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kingsfan

Kingsfan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    highland park, CA
    Q
    but... but... it has over 20 megapixels!!!

and 20x zoom!!!

11. Bhupinder2002

Hahhaah ya I agree .. One photographer boasts one camera and one lens and other two cameras and four lenses..lol. Hey OP don't feel bad we are just fun loving guys and may be its ur turn here today ..lol
    :2thumbs:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

12. Bhupinder2002

We don't know if it was 18-200 mm or adapted 200 fixed focal length lens ..
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

13. Kingsfan

Nov 22, 2010
    highland park, CA
    Q
    that was a joke

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bhupinder2002

Hahhah I got it but everything is a joke here.
    :rofl::rofl:

15. Kingsfan

Nov 22, 2010
    highland park, CA
    Q
    d'oh, you got me!

16. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Yes. But my mommy can still beat up your daddy.

:rolleyes:

17. Bhupinder2002

I know some people assume having more megapixels and optical zoom is the ultimate thing in photography . I am not a fan of zooms .I love primes .I bought Panny 14-140 and Oly 14-150 and sold them quickly . The only zoom I have is Panny 45-200 mm which gets occasional use .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

18. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

I love primes but zooms have their place, fast zooms on APS-C or full frame cameras with fast AF are really hard to beat for getting shots of quickly moving objects.

Having said that I'm not a fan of the new 'travel zoom' compacts that some people seem to use. They just have too many compromises for me to be comfortable using them.

As for your co worker, ignorance isn't a crime... and it is generally fixable (stupid isn't though). Why not find out if he's just uninformed or genuinely unteachable by offering him some help?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bhupinder2002

YEs Geoff but we don't have luxury of fast zooms in MFT yet, but yes I am not fan of travel zooms either . I bought Panny and Oly travel zooms and sold them quickly as they were not for me . Now thats what I said that its better to offer help rather than making fun .We are not born photographes .Its all acquired knowledge so its better to share and educate someone .
    Cheers

20. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    This is probably heard third hand, the other guy probably has a 18-200. Samsung doesn't make a 200mm lens for the NX100.

If he was using the same setup as the OP, I doubt he was using a 200mm lens end at the event.

There is a argument to be made that zooms are better in certain situations. If I had two equally talented photographers, I would go with the guy with the more flexible equipment.

The 18-200 also IS, which is something that the Panasonic doesn't have with the 14 and 20.

• Like Like x 1