1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

So the $64 Dollar question is..... Is the New Oly 45mm f/1.8 a Portrait Lens?

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by kundalini, Sep 26, 2011.

1. kundalini

kundalini Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2011
    Settle for yourself......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WARNING: These examples are quite possibly the worst examples to form an opinion.

Post your own for a full evaluation......

• Like Like x 3
  2. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Only $64? pft, not worth answering =P

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    If my 45mm arrives tomorrow with a black velvet backdrop bundled in, I will consider it money well spent! :rofl:

And, yes, looks like a portrait lens to me!

4. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    hold out till it hits $399, then answer... and use the cash for a copy of the lens!

5. kundalini

kundalini Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2011
    Hmmm, I guess it's an instance of involution then and more likely a case of chronology. The joke was that that ( I know I said that twice) saying was a game show back in the day.

Does this help.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTmXHvGZiSY]

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I believe the game show was the 64 THOUSAND dollar question, not the 64 dollar question.

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    This is correct. I mean really...who's going to bother answering a question for $64?

Those shots look great.

8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    According to some, for a portrait lens, it needs to be f.0001 to match the shallow DOF on a full frame sensor.

9. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Nice shots. Good DoF...I'm guessing not wide open...say, 2.8-4? Just got mine last night. Beautiful lens. And my macro converter works fine on it!

10. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    I'd say, yes, It does fine... and the price is perfect... Not for me, but for most...
    As far a f/.0001. :rofl: The eye you'd focus on would NOT be 100% in focus... Not Good technique...

f/1.8 is plenty, (f/2.8 on a FF as far as DOV)... f/1.8 allows a pleasing fall off without being too sharp a fall off in feathering of the Bokoh. Just my opinion.

11. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I'm not so sure it's a good portrait lens, it might be just a tad too sharp. :biggrin:

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You're right John. The legacy 50's in the 1.8 to 1.4 range make better portrait lenses. Same focal length, same speed (or faster) but softer wide open. :D Hides a few of those blemishes and smooths out the skin.

13. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Too sharp? Isn't it easier to 'soften' than to sharpen? I think the OP was going for the sharp look in this case. I will hold onto my OM 50 1.4 for the time being, just in case...

14. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'm glad someone saw my post as being in jest. There were a few FF users on another forum saying that their 90 or 100mm f1.8 is better, suggesting that the mFT option should be faster.

15. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    The 2nd one almost has an HDR type look it.. is it OOC or processed???

Either way.. definitely a very nice lens. I think they made the right call scarificing 1 stop of light vs. making it a 0.9 or something and having it larger.

16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, you really can't be too soft for the reason you state. :) You can also go slightly out of focus if you want to soften your image as well, filter it, or overblow it. Better yet, you can baby oil the model. But you can't effectively sharpen something that's not sharp enough to begin with.

On the other hand, a portrait lens doesn't HAVE to be sharp... it can be a soft lens and produce very good portrait results. So the comments of this lens being "too sharp" are tongue in cheek with that fact in mind. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    You can make landscapes with this lens too.