So that whole George Clooney thing has me wondering...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by SRHEdD, Apr 5, 2014.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Who uses that gordy strap in the vertical version? Do you trust a threaded thumb screw to hold your camera?

Is sure seems convenient, and is obviously well-made. And a sorta reasonable price. I just think I'd always be double-checking that thumb screw over lug-based straps.
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I used that Gordy sling strap for a while.

I never had any issues with feeling like the thumb screw would come loose, but I did quit using the strap mainly because given the length required to carry it sling style, the camera body could move pretty far away from the body in some situations. Bending over, climbing into a boat, etc.
    Also, the included D-ring tended to rub on some edges of my E-M5.

I ended up with just using a standard strap and carrying it bandolier style, gave that up after a short time, and went with just Gordy wrist straps (and a bag if I was carrying multiple bodies/lenses).

I always was curious about the Gordy adjustable neck strap, though. I think it may be a good solution for carrying it across the body. I wonder how George likes it?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Lapdog99

Lapdog99 New to Mu-43

Apr 4, 2014
    My wife was looking for a wrist strap for her GX7 (or my E-M10) and stumbled into the new Joby 3 way which attaches to the plate screw mount, uses a tension or retract cord made from a very thin, high strength material and permits, hand, shoulder or neck mount use. When used around the neck under tension, it creates a very steady 'tripod' between hands and neck. Less than $15 and ours works great. Only minor issue is having to unscrew it using the D tab on the screw if you want to attach a base plate for a tripod.
  4. Bull Winkle

Bull Winkle Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2014
    I've got a Gordy wrist and sling strap. The tripod mount screw is very secure.
  5. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Have you ever finished up for a day out shooting, reached down to remove the strap and found that thumb screw had loosened a bit?

See, I hate straps. I'd rather carry a tiny bag to keep the camera in, along with a second lens. Most of the time, I'm holding the camera though, so the bag becomes extra baggage if I can go out with one lens (learning to do that now...not easy). I like simple, and the vertical arrangement seems to be how I'd like a strap... if I liked one... just having trust issues with a screwed in strap when that socket was never intended for that purpose...
  6. hookgrip

hookgrip Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2013
    Well it is George Clooney. For him, dropping a E-M1 is probably like dropping a bit of pocket change for the rest of us.
  7. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    I feel the same way. It does seem more comfortable that way though with lens facing down. I use the plain Gordy neck band thru side eyelets.
  8. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    I have a blackrapid sport which I use constantly. I have trouble with my neck so it takes pressure off my neck. When I first got it it came off but luckily only fell a foot or so onto carpet. I now check it occasionally now and am considering using a second tether point.
  9. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    EXACTLY!!! You were very lucky.
  10. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Have you considered a wrist strap instead?

11. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I have two UPstraps ( that I used with my E-3 and E-5, these straps stick like the proverbial to a blanket and your shirt will come off your shoulder before the strap will. I don't use them with the E-M1, as the pads are a tad on the large size for comfort, so just use a cheap eBay one (like this: which is comfortable, light and holds on reasonably well. One day I might consider the smallest UPstrap.
  12. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Have used wrist and shoulder straps affixed to multiple cameras via the tripod mount and have thankfully never had an issue. Every so often double-check to make sure the attachment is still secure of course ; )
  13. Jacquesass

Jacquesass Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2014
    I really like the Joby 3-way. I prefer a wrist strap, but the wife likes a neck strap - so it's a great compromise. It's never come even a bit loose from the tripod mount. I only wish that the main portion (that screws under the camera) was a little bit smaller.