So Sad! :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
No sad reaction any more. It's terrible.
Yes Angus, it's beyond words. I just watched a resident of Kangaroo island saying that they'd lost 2000 ewes. Her hubby had run out of ammo having to put so many injured ones down :-( Nearly half the island's pristine national park has gone and bearing in mind it's around 7 times the area of Singapore that will take decades to recover, and those who make a livelihood from tourism will never recover I fear.

Real Name
Roddy
Words fail me, but alas there is no icon suitable for what I would like to put at the end of these posts, so you will have to accept this sentence as a gesture of mutual grief for all that has died in Australia the past few weeks. I saw a story on one Australian newspaper website that said it is estimated that over 500 MILLION animals have died since the fires began. That is a monstrously grotesque figure. Someone, somewhere, is going to have to sort out the human race and its effects on the planet.

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Don't look at us, Australia's pretty much useless while we've got a climate change denying government at the helm.
You already know the reaction to yet another lot of scientists reporting that it can't burn at this frequency and maintain itself as an ecosystem, that wet sclerophyll forest is being burned into dry, that even rainforest is primed to burn, is going to be to ignore it because someone's uncle said you just need to set it on fire more to fix the problem.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Angus
You already know the reaction to yet another lot of scientists reporting that it can't burn at this frequency and maintain itself as an ecosystem, that wet sclerophyll forest is being burned into dry, that even rainforest is primed to burn, is going to be to ignore it because someone's uncle said you just need to set it on fire more to fix the problem.
Somehow it'll be the Greens fault.

betamax

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alan
Ultimately, it's our fault as voters. Coal mining and employment was a big factor at the last elections. People want to believe in politicians, rather than educate themselves. Mind you, this is a global problem 4 to 6 decades in the making.

Your typical Sky News/Murdoch Press/Shock Jock listener thinks that when we say "this is due to climate change" we are talking politics. We're not.. we're talking facts...

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Charlie
There is so much smoke in the atmosphere, that for the last few days we can look directly at the sun...
It is just a dim red ball in the sky. It is very disturbing.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Charlie
Ozzy Osbourne said it in his Black Rain album, which is a very good album indeed.
“Burning until the end”
F****d over by money and greed”

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Charlie
Wow, and you guys got enough sunlight falling on your country to run half the world....
That’s the sad part.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
OK a stronger warning to all.
This is not an agreement or disagreement with anything started here, but......

Rule #9
Discussion of politics and religion is not allowed anywhere on the site. Note that posting photos containing political or religious content is allowed. Only the discussion is not allowed.

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Mind boggling that saving the planet became a divisive political issue. Are we sure about the most intelligent species thing?
There's a book I think about all the time with regard to this as a problem, called On The Psychology of Military Incompetence. Basically it looks at a load of serious defeats (mostly for the british army) and what common psychological profiles might lead to notably terrible command. It's a little outdated in terms of terminology and a bit corny, but the sections on Townshend in british mesopotamia and Percival in Singapore are some real eye openers.

People who tend to be reactionary authoritarians, who love tradition, who see preparation as weakness, hate new technology, are arrogant about the challenges they face and refuse to consider that their enemy might not play by the rules, lack the moral courage to truly learn and change from experience, are unconcerned with physical or mental suffering of the people under their command, can't improvise... it goes on but you get the idea, right? They face a challenge they aren't prepared for - a new tactic or a new technology or a wiley enemy commander - and just sit there like a dummy, unable to react intelligently, getting their own people killed. They'll never remove themselves from command because having to admit to inadequacy is literally worse than death for them, too. They'll get their entire staff killed and still sit there telling their superiors that there was nothing they could do, and everyone else was to blame.

Anyway nothing to do with any person or political party or whatever, just a good book recommendation.

Last edited:

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
The word "sad" doesn't even begin to cover it. And I'm more angered than sadden by these images and what's going on down under. Why? Because it's blatantly evident that this is "man made" disaster and yet people in high places deny it only because of one thing: money. Well, scratch that. Two things: money and power. Everything else is irrelevant to them. Global warming or climate crisis doesn't bond well with their interests so it's easier to deny the facts.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Angus
OK a stronger warning to all.
This is not an agreement or disagreement with anything started here, but......

Rule #9
Discussion of politics and religion is not allowed anywhere on the site. Note that posting photos containing political or religious content is allowed. Only the discussion is not allowed.
I understand and do (try to) respect the rules.

However, it is hard to talk about what's happening in my country without bringing politics into it. So many lies, deception and shear negligence has come out about our PM and Government since this started. This didn't just happen out of the blue. The most experienced firefighters in the country were begging our PM to meet with them for nearly a year. They were ignored.

Note: I'm not trying to discuss politics, I'm trying to illustrate why it's hard to not bring politics into this discussion. Aside from homes and pepper being lost, we've also lost substantial native wildlife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom