So OMD- EM5 is the King of MFT :)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Bhupinder2002, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Wow .what a camera !!!!! I managed to play with this new toy and one of local camera store in Melbourne and I am more than impressed with this camera. This is something I always wanted in MFT and I am very very pleased with this one and anxiously waiting for mine to arrive from BH . Olympus has raised the bar with this product and finally we have something different from PENs and Gs, GHs and GFs . I love all MFT cameras but this is THE KING ..YES the MFT KING is BORN and will rule the MFT world for few coming months or years before being DETHRONED by a worthy successor .Congrats to those who have already received it .. Lets hope mine gets here soon and then I will do a detailed review in my own style ..hahhaha
    Till then lets Hail the King...:th_salute::th_salute:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    It's interesting that Olympus has a link to 'see all OM-D cameras' on the EM5 spec page:
    Olympus - E-M5
  3. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Ahh .. To me that is very telling..
    Many camera company's , including Olympus tend to release a High end camera 1st and then its more consumer (price) friendly little brother second.

This tells me that we will see a much cheaper version of the OM-D, probably before Christmass .
  4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the E-M50 or E-M500. Take away the weather sealing and give it a composite body and I'd still be quite happy.

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    If Olympus follows the same pattern it has had with the PEN cameras it will introduce a non weather sealed "lower end" version that will have identical IQ, almost the same feature set and reduce the price to the point where folks wonder why anyone would buy the OMD E5 anymore.
  6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Or the E-P3

2 OM-D and 3 Pen models? Seems like an awful lot of overlap.

7. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I think Olympus is already hinted that there will be a higher (pro) camera and a more economical option. Or maybe I've just read too much forum chatter and have accepted this as the truth.
  8. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    The OMD-PRO will probably be announced in the 3rd qtr. along with a long telephoto.
  9. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    EM 5 lite will add a internal flash. EM 6 lite will take away the internal flash and give it to the EM 6, but the EM 6 will no longer have a tilt screen.

In all seriousness, my prediction is that the EM lite will have no 5axis in body IS, no tilt screen, built in VF3, only one scroll wheel, less external buttons, no optional grips. Will cost $200 less than the EM5.

The EM 5 Pro will have a E5 style body, with the NEX 7 higher rez EVF, phase detection built into body, to enable use of four thirds lenses at full speed. 12 FPS. 1080 60p, the sensor will be the M43 version of the Nikon 1 sensor, 1 stop better noise performance.

Kitted with a brand new 12-60 f/4 lens. 2k.
  10. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    If your predictions for EM lite prove true, I'll be very happy to have gotten the EM-5 standard version (which is due FEd-x on Monday). The two scroll wheels are a big part of the reason I love the design of this camera: No more fiddling with a wheel on back that can change other things way too easily. Weather sealing isn't a big deal for me, but those two wheels for aperture and shutter speed will be like manna from heaven.
  11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Hope you're right! That lens or the PDAF would be enough for me. One way or another, a quality standard zoom option is a must, particularly for a 'pro' style camera.

12. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    I'm waiting for the GH3 to be revealed and then I will come back to this thread... :cool:
  13. s2kinfinite

s2kinfinite Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2012
    Im sure it will be good too! Wish they made it look a little nicer. I think even my GF1 looks better...still patiently waiting for my Silver OM-D....
  14. Bhupinder2002

GH3 will never b a threat sir .. It's not gonna b a weather sealed body and that's the first defense of this king ..
  15. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Olympus has been saying for awhile, since just after the E-M5 release that the OM-D would be a line of multiple versions. As to which way they go? If I were in charge I would build a lower model. Switch to a plastic body that isn't weather sealed but retain most if not all of the other specs. The difference in manufacturing costs would bring it down to a $799-$899 body{I would think}. Not sure how to make a more pro version but it would be interesting to see.
  16. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Your whiskers will grow down to your knees before that happens. :rofl:
  17. baretsu

baretsu New to Mu-43

Apr 21, 2012
    I can only agree with this camera being a king! Have it since this afternoon and this really is a great little camera! This is my very first MFT so I can't compare with other MFT's (and as such, I can't but call it a king, not necessarily the king) but I do have quite a history with SLR's and DSLR's: Started with Canon (whole bunch of camera's through the years), went to digital with the Fujifilm S2 Pro, Nikon D90 and Nikon D700, all with pretty much top lenses (next to some great f1.4 primes, the Nikon "magical zoom team", all f2.8).

So, to make sure the lens wouldn't "hold me back", bought some nice second hand lenses next to the new kit lens with the camera and the great Panasonic Leica 25mm, bringing my (still very little ThinkTank Retrospective 5) camera bag to:
    • Olympus OM-D E-M5
    • Olympus 9-18mm
    • Olympus 12-50mm
    • Olympus 45mm
    • Panasonic Leica 25mm
    • Panasonic 45-175mm
    • FL-LM2 and FL-300R

Very first conclusions: WOW!! Great quality, great pictures, even in JPEG (yes, everyone will probably start arguing to use RAW but hey, Olympus does a great job with the JPEG's so that should be mentioned as well ... and yes, will do a RAW later on). WB is great, Focus is really great AND fast (especially the face recognition), overall look is just killing, filters are fun, build in functionality is great and of course, the 45mm and the 25mm are superb BUT don't underestimate the 12-50mm kit lens!! Besides the very nice macro, this lens actually performs way better than expected!

So, does it replace my D700? Maybe, maybe not ... but definitely not yet! Too early to find out all possibilities, greatness and drawbacks (oh yes, already found some!) but you simply can't deny its power. And the fact so much power is bundled in such a small camera ... this full camera bag weights about the same as my D700 with just the 24-70mm lens (about 2 kg together!) but gives me a full package. Haven't even tested the flashes just yet (ISO performance is actually that great didn't need it yet) but up to now, I think you get a whole lot of quality for very little weight, space and money (when comparing to Nikon gear anyway)!

So yes, it is very tempting. After all, as I read somewhere on a forum, the best camera is the one you have with you. And there, this little wonder can't go wrong!!
  18. Bhupinder2002

I am not tempting to compare this camera with Nikon D700. I said King of MFT cameras..
  19. baretsu

baretsu New to Mu-43

Apr 21, 2012
    Nor was I, hence stating I can't compare with any other MFT's and calling it a king ;-)
    (But I am stunned by its quality, though nowhere claiming it to be superior to my D700)
  20. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    the king is dead , long live the king......

till the next king comes along, which in :43: world is not very long
    • Like Like x 1