1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

So now that the G7 has arrived - is the GX8 next?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by D@ne, May 21, 2015.

1. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I prefer the rangfinder-style, and the GX7 looks perfect, except it's a bit big and bulky (for something with an EVF).

Are there rumours about on a GX8 in the works? My hopes would be for the same tiltable EVF, same overall ergonomics, but smaller in stature (and lighter!)

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    GX8 is rumored to be announced in September.

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

They already make the GM5 for you, man, leave the nice grip on my GX7 alone! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    But give me a fully articulated LCD and a bigger battery!

5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    GM5 doesn't have a tiltable display.

It's interesting that even with the range of body sizes and styles offered by Panasonic, they still don't quite have something for everyone.

6. tkbslc

They made the G7 for you, man, leave the tilt LCD and battery alone! :)

7. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    The problem is too many options to begin with. No one wants the same config, and some folks are pretty passionate about what they do want.

As for the GX8, I like the size of the GX7, but I don't like how much the EVF sticks out in the back. If that is required because it flips up I'd trade that off in a second. But I would choose flip up LCD over articulated, but it wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me. 4K video needs to be there, and the other bells and whistles from the 7.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Man, we have two companies making M43 bodies and new bodies being released on regular cycles. We sure are a spoiled bunch! :D:p

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. tkbslc

Yeah, it does add a surprising amount of thickness to the body.

10. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I want more!!! ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Agreed. I expect the GX8 to look a bit like an interchangeable lens LX100, which admittedly the GM5 already does. I just would expect the GX8 to be bigger.

12. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I want cellphone thinness, an interchangeable, optically perfect pancake lens with wide apertures with a classic 50mm length, never-ending battery life, and an insanely high-resolution EVF that adds virtually no depth to the camera.

...I don't think that's too much to ask for. :-/

Oh - and sub-$1000 please. Incl. lens.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Maybe Panasonic will have a a few surprises up their GX8 camera sleeve? We'll see in September.
    Bobby

14. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Here's hoping!

15. Jim350z

Jim350z New to Mu-43

Jun 3, 2015
    Jim Hayne
    I wish I had noted the source, but I just read yesterday that the GX8 WILL be bigger than the GX7...
    Regards, Jim

16. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    It might require getting a little bigger to incorporate all the extra features, I'm hoping bigger is a relative term. Like the GM5 is bigger than the GM1.

17. tkbslc

Gx7 is already quite big. I doubt it.

18. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I like it the way it is, but I would want a larger viewfinder .

19. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    The size of the G7 and the rumored Gx8 might be related to a heat sink for 4K video. By fall my piggy bank for cameras will have about $1K, by December 16-1800. If the Gx8 retains its ibis system and has 4K, it will be my choice. If either of these two things are missing, then -even though its bigger than I want- the EM1-II if it has 4K video will since a Gh5 is unlikely to have any IBIS at all. What a great time to be a photographer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. tkbslc