1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

So much for the EVF Pen rumor

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by drd1135, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Kingsfan

Kingsfan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    highland park, CA
    Q
    well that sucks

2. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Not sure why anyone expected otherwise. OMD=VF, Pen=no VF....they would just cannibalize each other and/or piss off the no EVF fans.

• Like Like x 4
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Panasonic does it. GX7 is RF style with EVF, the G and GH series are SLR style.

4. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Yeah but it's not Olympus is my point.

5. wushumr2

wushumr2 Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    You still have a lot of people--even high-end amateurs--who don't use viewfinders. Heck, I did a lot of casual shooting with my GX7 just using the rear LCD, but I still wanted all the controls. Going down to an E-PL5 or GF6 wouldn't have been good enough.

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I wonder if the focus on the OM-D cameras might mean the Pens take a back-seat; maybe even dropped in due course?

7. wushumr2

wushumr2 Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    I heard something like the PM series going away and the PL models becoming the low end model. I can barely see 5 models in the Olympus lineup, much less six. Heck, Fuji's got 5--X-Pro1, X-E2, X-T1, X-M1, X-A1--and it seems like ridiculous overkill.

8. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Not a chance.

The Pens are by far Olympus's most popular product. In Japan last year they accounted for 25% of the entire mirrorless market while the OMD accounted for 3%. The E-P5 might not get a replacement. I also think the next generation of Pens will see a major overhaul - that is why it has been so long since the last update.

9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    The E-Px series are my favorite cameras. I don't need or want an EVF, so I hope they keep making these bodies.

• Like Like x 3
  10. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I agree, Iove the E-P5. If they add an EVF, it will just make it bulkier like the GX7. I don't know what else they can add to the Pen to make me buy the next version. Full frame? in a heart beat but I'm 99% sure that's not happening. hahaa but maybe higher megapixel count, 4k recording, phase detection AF. Even with those new features, I don't know if I will upgrade.

11. Rodchenko

Rodchenko Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    Exiled From Hyperborea
    I think the Pens have a long while left to run, and may yet come back into Olympus' thinking. Cetrtainly the OMD is capturing a lot of the market, and, while I would like an EP5, I know that I just wouldn't want to shoot it without an EVF. It makes a lot of difference to my photography. So why would I pay the extra for a VF-4 when I could opt for an EM1 or even an EM10 with an integrated EVF, making less of a projection, and, of course, being less vulnerable to loss or damage?

I still dearly want Olympus to pick up on the idea of the GX7 VF. That was a stroke of genius, and a great bit of engineering.

• Like Like x 1
  12. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    At the moment if you buy in the UK you get a free VF4, but though I like the form factor it creates problems if you want to use the viewfinder and a flash gun, though they could do a solution ala Leica's super grip for the M it has a TTL flash connector built in. But I have increasingly found cameras with no finder hard to use so for me such niceties like the GM1 are out.

13. Dewi

Dewi Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    Lancashire, England
    Dewi
    Totally agree. To be honest I've never got the point of most peoples fixation with an EVF (or any kind of VF), to me it makes not a jot of difference how I compose the shots I take: Optical VF, EVF, Screen - shoot from the hip :smile: It's all just a means to an end.

• Like Like x 1
  14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I love the Pens, but I've gotten reattached to the EVF. I know the VF4 can be removed, but it's almost a cosmetic change. Neither the E-P5 or the E-M5 is pocket-able and once I have a small bag the EVF hump is irrelevant. If sales numbers are any indication, the OMDs will be the higher end models and some versions of the PM/PL series will lower in price. The E-PL5 with the new 3 axes IBIS would be a pretty awesome camera.

15. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    Personally I prefer having an VF of some kind. That said, I can't afford a body with one built in so I have my VF3 that I can continue to use when I do trade my E-PL1 in for something newer (used PL5 or M2 in a year or two probably). Because there are people that like them both ways, I get to buy the somewhat cheaper body and can still attach an EVF to it. Win win win all the way around.

16. stovi

stovi Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    I've just seriously considered the ep5 but have ordered the em10 instead (for £529). From what I can see, there is really not enough of a size difference to worry about so although I can do without a viewfinder, I thought why not let it be there for the odd occasion it would be handy.

daum nice flickr pics by the way!

17. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    This is certainly a good option, not only for you but for someone with, for example, a E-PM2 The problem with the E-P5 is that it costs the same as the E-M5. I know some folks like that configuration but the question is whether there are enough of them to make the removable EVF High-end Pen a viable future option.

18. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    I never knew how much I wanted an EVF until I got one. Now it's permanently attached to my EPL2. Once you do that, you really aren't getting any kind of size advantage compared to the "larger" OMDs.

19. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    The problem right now is that the E-P5 is at the same price point as the E-M5, and the E-M10 is a better deal.

The E-PM2 and E-PL5 still make sense, they are smaller and cheaper while offering great image quality. I ended up settling on the E-PL5 when I was able to get a refurb kit for $350. Just picked up a VF-4 for $99, so I have a nice setup for $450. I only really use the EVF when shooting telephoto or manual lenses. For normal and wide FL the screen is just fine.

The only complaints I have is that there is no focus peaking and that the record button is in a stupid place.