1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

So Many To Choose From...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SuperSix58, Jul 11, 2012.

1. SuperSix58

SuperSix58 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 10, 2012
    Hello All! This is my first post on Mu-43 forums. I'm new to MFT but not to photography. I have a long relationship with Canon and still use the Canon APS-C format. Like many DSLR users, I'm trying to find something to supplement my current setup with something smaller and lighter. I miss lots of photos simply due to the fact that I don't like taking my large setup every where I go.

Although the ultimate and final decision is mine, I'm looking for some guidance on which MFT to start off with since there are so many choices.

I prefer to have a MFT with a permanent EVF but a detachable one would work. I also prefer to have a built in flash (a little light is better than none in some cases).

I am considering the Olympus EP3, EPL2, EPL3, and the E-M5. I'm also really digging the GH2...I like how it is like a mini-DSLR and is actually compared to entry level DSLR models. The MFT that I choose will be used to photograph a wide array of subject matter. I have been able to handle all on my list except for the E-M5 and GH2. I've also handled Sony and Nikon mirrorless units.

Lastly, I chose to go with a MFT system since there is a very large lens selection.

2. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Probably some exciting new stuff coming up at Photokina. Might be a good time to bide your time. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  3. SuperSix58

SuperSix58 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 10, 2012
    As much as I'd like to bide my time, I'm not known for having much patience:smile: New releases being introduced at Photokina probably mean late 2012 to early 2013 availability to the general public. Buying something now will get me started in building MFT lens kit and, perhaps, ready for an upgrade by early 2013.

4. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Im new to m43 as well, i come from a DSLR background like you, and i went in the beginning with an EPL2 + P14 (i wanted a small street shooter camera) but shortly after (3 months) couldn't resist and jumped onto the OMD. and i could definitely tell there IS a difference before an after the OMD. and it s the exact same size as the EPL2. and both are at least HALF the size (lens attached) to my 5DMKII body only.

with whatever (body) you end up with, you will need to get the P20mm + O45mm and a bunch of other lenses come and go. pretty fun small system and great community here!. your wallet will suffer, be advised, have fun!

5. SuperSix58

SuperSix58 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 10, 2012
    Thanks Chrisnmn! Do you feel like the OMD is a "logical" move for someone with a DSLR background? I like instant shutter release and fast AF. I will leave fast moving objects to my DSLR unless the OMD or other MFT's can achieve this task.

BTW...My P20 f/1.7 arrived today:biggrin: I told y'all I'm impatient! Having the right glass is more important than having the perfect body. I am well prepared to get the glass that I need!

• Like Like x 1
  6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Welcome to the :43: fold!

It sounds like you've done a bit of research, so I realize you're probably looking for opinion/experiences more than specs, but in case you find it helpful (as I do) to have a overview of the specs and functionality in one spot I created a spreadsheet that breaks down all the major specs of each of the available bodies, which you can find in [post=240706]this post[/post].

I'll try to check back in when I have some time to elaborate on my experiences and opinions.

7. gopack471

gopack471 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 4, 2010
    I also moved from Canon DSLRs, and I think you'd be unhappy with anything other than the OM-D. I started with an EPL1 in m4/3, and I know that that's definitely pretty far down on the entry-level side, but the OM-D is built for the enthusiast and operates more like a "pro" camera and in a way that's similar to what you're used to. Anything else you buy might leave you missing something, but since I've made the switch there really hasn't been anything that I've felt I can't do with the OM-D except maybe really fast action shots, and that's mostly due to the lack of a lens like a 70-200/2.8. I know it's the most expensive option, but if you're really looking for a "mini-DSLR" the OM-D is it

8. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    totally man!. the OMD is an awesome little beast!. honestly im really surprised how it can deliver up to very well known DSLRs but half the size. yes the fast AF is something you want considering the P20mm is probably the "slowest" AF lens in m43, but if you get the O45 or any of the new gen. lenses you will be blown how fast it can be, actually the AF in the OMD is as fast or faster than my 5DMKII and thats more than enough for me.

Ive heard a lot, people telling that the OMD is not really good for sports, but honestly at least for me, i dont do or attend sports faster than this Attacke 3 - 1600 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (and no, i have not relation to that person) so i think its a pretty capable camera.

but it does have TONS of options to customize it like you want, i even think that it has more options than my 5DMKII im not saying that is a good thing...but theres tons to explore with it! :thumbup:

9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am an old Nikon guy myself but I too am getting into m43 to save weight and space. I disagree that you would not be happy with anything short of the OM-D. It all depends on what you are wanting from your m43 camera. I love my E-PL1 although it has some limits. For general daylight use it works great and works OK for inside shots{with and without the flash}. It lacks in speed for action and sucks in low light but at those times I get my Nikon out. At half the weight and size however it is great and I am having some fun with old adapted lenses too. I chose to go with Olympus over Panasonic because of the better JPEG processing and the easier menus. Good luck with your search,

10. SuperSix58

SuperSix58 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 10, 2012
    Hmmm...Lot's of recommendations for the OM-D. That is actually the direction that I am leaning in but am still considering the E-P3 and the GH2. This is much tougher than choosing a new DSLR. Making the lens selections is much easier though. I have the 20mm f/1.7 and will order the 45mm f/1.8today. I like the 12-50 as a general purpose zoom.

I appreciate all of the feedback! I will continue to research and read reviews today. Keep the feedback coming!

11. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The E-M5 is a fantastic little camera - very capable, snappy and customizable. I still slightly prefer handling of full sized DSLRs in every way except weight and bulk, simply because the controls are larger and easier to operate. However, this is a really minor niggle, as handling on the E-M5 is very, very good indeed and the compact size and weight more than make up for any minor inconveniences.

I just got back from vacationing with my full MFT kit (GF2, EM5, 14/2.5, 20/1.7, 45/1.8, 12-50, 7-14) and kept having minor panic moments picking up the bag, thinking someone had stolen gear because it just felt too light (lighter than my minimal 5DII, 24-105 + single prime selection)

• Like Like x 1
  12. SuperSix58

SuperSix58 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 10, 2012
    Update: E-P3 is out! I think I would quickly get tired of the EVF attachment. Plus, I am a flash junkie (on and off camera). I would prefer to keep my hotshoe available for when I want to use my flash or flash trigger.

I have added another MFT to the equation: I'm now considering the Panasonic G3 as well as the GH2 and the OM-D.

13. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    How important is video? And how important is high ISO capability?

The GH2 is the video king, the G3 probably one of the best values out there, and the E-M5 one of the most fully featured cameras (higher burst, in-body IS, weather sealing) for a premium price.

14. SuperSix58

SuperSix58 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 10, 2012
    Video is near the bottom of my list of requirements. Although the GH2 is best known for it's video capabilities, I REALLY like the amount of control you have over the camera settings and features through the use of knobs and buttons. The price of the G3 is what got my attention. You get a feature packed, new sensor, fairly recently released camera body. I could basically get the G3 and the O45 f/1.8 for the price of the OM-D.

Between my meetings today, I'm going to see if I can get out and find a store or shop that has the OM-D in stock that I can demo.

15. artsifrtsy

artsifrtsy Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Ozarks
    I have been shooting Nikons at work for years. I bought the first Pen when it came out and followed it with the E-P2 about a year and a half later. I was thinking of upgrading to the E-P3 when the OM-D was announced. Just like the first Pen - I was attracted to the styling - but the OM-D really does deliver on it's promise to do it all in a small package. The AF is snappy. The performance in low light is impressive. It fits your hand like a glove. I'm very happy with it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    It sounds like you've eliminated the rangefinder-style bodies, so that leaves you with the OM-D, the GH2 and the G3. Video is where the GH2 really outshines the others, so if that is not an important consideration for you, then I would eliminate that body which leaves us with the G3 and the OM-D.

Obviously the price is a major difference with the G3 at US$500 and the OM-D at US$1000 (body-only). You'll need to determine how much you value the "extras" that the OM-D provides (weather sealing, 5-axis IBIS, faster burst mode, roughly one stop better sensor performance, slightly higher resolution display, more responsive touchscreen, etc.). From a functionality perspective the other major differentiator between these two is the swing-out (G3) vs. tilit-only (OM-D) display.

The final and probably most important factor is the ergonomics and controls of the cameras. The only way to really determine that is to pick up the cameras and spend some time with them.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SuperSix58

SuperSix58 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 10, 2012
    I totally agree! Unfortunately, in order for me to get some hands on experience would require me to drive to several different stores...no one single store in my are (that I know of) has all of the models that I am interested in.

The E-P3 may be back in the mix; I just found a used one with the 14-42 lens for $650. IMO, that's do-able for that body/lens combo. I could not see myself paying $900 for that combo when the OM-D body is $100 more. Plus I would probably spend another $200 on an EVF.

I have this serious gut feeling telling me to go with an Olympus body whether it's the E-P3, which is growing on me, or the OM-D. I've even considered getting a fairly inexpensive E-PL2 just to get me started. When I FINALLY decide what I really want, I could have a backup/second body. This is what I really love about the m43...it does't totally break the bank:biggrin:

Sorry for all of the back and forth and thanks for all of the comments and input!

18. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    You can find a better deal on the E-P3 with kit - check Cameta for factory reconditioned around $580 I think, or go used on the auction site. I got one used for an insanely low price by dumb luck.

• Like Like x 1
  19. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Have you considered the "factory demo"/ refurb offerings from Cameta Camera? They offer an E-P3 + 14-42 for $560. I don't have any personal experience with Cameta, but other forum users seem to be mostly satisfied.

That said, given that you're coming from a DSLR, I'm not sure that you'll be 100% satisfied with a body lacking a built-in EVF. If you think you'll want/need to use the EVF a majority of the time, then the add-on EVF doesn't strike me as an elegant solution.

If the price of the E-M5 is the major stumbling block and used doesn't bother you, then I would suggest you pick up a used G3 (like this one, perhaps). That seems like a relatively cheap gateway into :43: and a good way to determine if the ergonomics of the Panasonic bodies are right for you. Shoot with it for a few months and if you decide then that you still want and E-M5, the supply may have caught up enough that you can get a bit of a discount on the E-M5 and you can probably re-sell the G3 for only a bit less than you paid.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SuperSix58

SuperSix58 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 10, 2012
    I REALLY appreciate the tip to check out Cameta! For $560 I'm going to get the E-P3 and use it for the next few months. I think this is the perfect entry into :43:!!! I will try it without the EVF for a couple of weeks and add an EVF if I think one is really necessary. I don't think the attached EVF is the most elegant setup but this setup will allow me to get a feel of the new format. I've spent so much time with my eye pressed against a view finder I may find using the display refreshing. My main reason for omitting the E-P3 earlier was due to price (Body + EVF).

The deal on the used G3 was another great find! After I finalize my last lens selection I may pick that one up as well just to do a comparison.

Order has been submitted!!!

I really appreciate the responses and feedback to help me through this thought process.!