So many threads...Where to post a photo?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by TwoWheels, Apr 6, 2015.

1. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    For any given photo I take, it seems I could post it in any one of two to four (or more) different threads on this site. Just as a random example, the shot below could be posted in the GM1 thread, the Panasonic 14mm thread or the Bicycle thread. Arguably, it could be posted in the landscape thread and there may be other appropriate places like (for me) the Equinox Explorations thread. If it had been one of the many photos I take when I go on a cycling-related vacation, I could also start a new travel thread and post it along with other photos from my trip.

This obviously isn't a matter of great significance, but I'm just curious how others decide where they're going to post when they have a photo to share. Is it a function of the piece of equipment you used that you're most passionate about? Is it based on who hangs out on a specific thread? Do you just spread things around? What determines whether you post in the Cameras, Lenses or Images threads? Maybe @Amin Sabet@Amin Sabet has suggestions or guidance based on what makes the overall site most orderly and useful? :hmmm:

2. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    Coincidently, I was thinking yesterday it would be cool to have a thread for images that could fit into as many other threads as possible, like a black and white HDR photo of a cat riding a bicycle on the moon, taken with the Sigma 60mm.
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    I put 'em where I think they best serve the interests of the thread. For instance, I recently got a new Oly 12-40 f/2.8 lens and took it out back to shoot some flowers in my yard. I put a few that I thought best expressed "ooo...pretty flower!" in the flowers thread and a few that were "gee, look at my new toy" in the lens thread. Granted, this is all just in my head and the images may hold no such connotation to other viewers, but since you asked, this is my answer.

I occasionally find myself cross-posting when I think appropriate (e.g., "your 5 best..." threads), but I generally try to avoid it.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    BTW, that image obviously belongs in the "Show ORANGE" thread.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I tend to post in specific topic threads or lens threads. But... I don't know if it's considered bad form or not, and I usually don't do it, but cross posting in 2 or 3 threads (but not in EVERY thread) seems fine to me.
  6. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I've usually picked one or two threads that best fit the picture (in my estimation) and the kinds of photographs I take most often, or just default to a lens or body thread. I try not to cross-post to more than a couple threads.
  7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    my view is that you post where you think it is relevant to the thread... Blitzing every thread is a bad idea but posting to multiple threads over time is acceptable.. At the end of the day if you post an image it means you want people to look at it.

I support the posting of images over half baked misinformed speculations of relative merits of a technical nature

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I have also had this thought, maybe a thread like the Photo Association thread, but with a scorecard to see how many of the categories you can fit into one photo.

Myself, I try to not cross post, except in the Photo Association thread. I take lots of photos of the same thing and change the angle or lens or the processing and then I can fit them in numerous threads without posting the same photo.
  9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I agree with everyone else who has commented so far in this thread ;).
    • Like Like x 1
  10. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    I post images into the most relevant thread for something I might be interested in at the time, but your image as an example would go into the GM1 or 14mm threads before any others in my opinion.
  11. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm with most. I post where I think it seems relevant. If it doesn't fit in a topic thread I will go to one of the random image threads or the body image thread. I have no issue with cross-posting, especially in the lens showcase threads. If the image is a good representation from a lens, it should also go in its showcase.
  12. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    I try to pick the thread with the best "emotional" fit. As opposed to posting it where it "ticks a box".
    EG a flower taken with a specific lens, Is it a great flower picture, more so than, is it a great example of a picture from that lens?
    A popular example, Black and White and Street photography. Is it so street? Or does it say more about the tones and shades?
    If it ticks many boxes, one might stand out as emotionally stronger than the others.
    Go with your heart!
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    I roll a dice to decide where to post ;)

But in all honesty... I generally prefer to post in len's sample thread. I feel this is generally more useful for people to decide which lens to buy. Seeing what others shoot and are doing with the same lens.
    I sometimes post in the camera body thread, but I'm finding I do that less and less now, because most camera bodies use the same or similar sensor, so there's not as much difference between the cameras.
    If there is a specific thread for that photo-genre (e.g. cats, dogs, etc.), I might consider posting in that thread or cross posting in that thread.
    I might start a specific thread for my photo, if I have a series of them that go together.

At the end of the month, I usual post in the top 5 photos of the month thread. I enjoy looking through other people's top 5, as it gives me an opportunity to see photos that I might have missed amongst all the various photo threads around.

Also as a side note, if there is a new photo thread that someone has posted a series of photos that I have particularly enjoyed, I like to post a response in the thread itself. It gives the thread a little bit of a bump and keeps it up towards the recent/new posts. To be honest, I feel lately I've been seeing a bit too many photo gear threads, and it's my way of giving good photo's more exposure.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    I typically post in the lens sample thread generally speaking, because I know when I was lens shopping the sample images were extremely helpful and this is a gear oriented site. I will post things like Dog photos typically in the dog thread, where those who also love dogs can more appreciate them. I know some people tire of dog/cat photos, as I would tire of children photos that aren't related to me or flowers to site random examples.

I will cross post in the Photo Association thread if applicable or the top 5 of the month thread. Things like long exposure, night, winter, waterfalls I might post in specific threads if I know they exist.
  15. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Good point.

Another good thought on bumping good photo threads. If we'd all spend as much time using our gear as we do shopping for it, we'd be pretty good photographers. :biggrin:
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. swede

swede Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Remember also that even if you post an image of any kind in a specific subject thread, for example "landscape". The use of the lens specific threads is equaly important.

The lens threads are undeniably the threads that show and promote the excellence and quality of the m4/3 system. Not only for us but also out to all outside the forum.
    Those threads was a very important part in my choice to go m4/3.
  17. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I suppose you could always start a new "Bike in Landscape" thread ...
    • Like Like x 1