1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

So long and thanks for all the fish ...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by CUB, Jul 23, 2013.

1. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012
    After thinking long and hard I sold my entire m4/3 outfit and used the cash to buy some Nikon gear. I tried very hard to like m4/3 but the challenges of image quality, DOF control and robustness made the decision to concentrate on my Nikon gear an easy one.

I thought that semi-retirement would allow me to work with smaller, lighter m4/3 gear but my remaining customers are among the most demanding I have ever had. They are used to the 'look' of full frame images and that's what I will continue to give them, using Nikon D800 and D600 bodies plus my cherished 13.5 MP Kodak DCS which is still going strong after nine years.

I'd like to thank everyone who engaged me in discussion here, sometimes with passion and not always with understanding. I suppose it is difficult for people who have invested a lot of money in m4/3 to accept that it has serious shortcomings as a professional tool while remaining a good choice for the average amateur who doesn't want to lug around heavy full frame gear. Every system has its strengths and weaknesses and m4/3 is no different.

The future for m4/3 looks very uncertain with substantial drops in 2013 sales figures from both Olympus and Panasonic. I hope that the two firms will continue to support the user base for some years to come.

2. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    You must shoot billboards.

I think you could be making a mistake, but go for it if you think that's what you need to do. I don't know what kind of "image quality challenges" you are experiencing. I sold my Nikon stuff and never looked back and some pros with demanding customers have done similar.

With the economy of the world like it is, everybody is hurting at some level for sales. Mirrorless IS the way forward, there is no virtue anymore in mirror boxes and they will slowly fade. Most sales of DSLR's are to people who simply don't know any better and are afraid of what people might think if they bought a small camera, lol. Over time, mirrorless will win but which systems remain after the dust settles IS in doubt!

I wonder what you tried to use professionally from the micro four thirds universe? I mean, if you shot jpg with a lesser or older body and used kit lenses I can understand it. Did you even try the two Panasonic "heavy hitters" (12-35 f/2.8 and 35-100 f/2.8)?

They are a good replacement for my old 16-35mm VR and 70-200mm VR II Nikon lenses.

Anyway, good luck with your return to a heavy, expensive world. I hope it works out for you as it's is certainly going to be quite an investment.

3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Cub, I hear ya. I sold my entire Nikon outfit and used the cash to buy :43: gear :biggrin:.

Yep; it's a different animal.

Same here. But my remaining customer in my retirement is my wife and while she's definitely demanding on some things she's quite satisfied with "refrigerator prints" of the grandkids.

Cub, just because you've returned to the Nikon fold doesn't mean you have to abandon us :frown:. There are frequent questions (as you've probably seen) regarding :43: vs. DSLR gear and it would be wonderful if you could hang around and put in your oar once and a while. I've responded to a few of the queries but my familiarity with Nikon DSLRs is rapidly becoming "yesterday's news"; having a current user and promoter of DSLRs could make a nice counterpoint and keep us :43: users grounded.

Of course, now that you've moved back to Nikon you are obligated to post a photo or five showing both your new gear and examples of what it can do :biggrin:.

Concur; I obviously hope as well that Olympus and Panasonic continue to support and expand the :43: format it is a difficult time for camera manufacturers at all levels and their basic business is, of course, making money not cameras.

I wish you luck in your return to Nikon; as for me I think I'll hang around here for awhile longer - my back really appreciates the fact that I'm not schlepping that gripped Nikon with 70-200mm and SB-900 flash :biggrin:.

Best regards,

Jim

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    your Nikon bodies are puny and you will struggle with DOF control until you step up to a medium format. The Pentax 645D laughs at your puny little Nikon bodies. :tongue:

Just kidding. I think Pros can use whatever they can get great images from. I see plenty of amazing photographs on this website, and I see plenty of total garbage photos out of full frame cameras. Use what you need to get the job done. :thumbup:

5. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I agree with Luke: full frame is puny -- you need a sensor the size of truck for REAL DOF, lol.

Some refutations of the "mirrorless isn't for pros" are in the following videos, including a word to camera stores that are missing the boat.

You can choose what you like: but your statements that you need FF to be a pro are in error. To misquote Shakespeare: The fault, Dear CUB, is not in your cameras, but in yourself -- lol.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VvkTHrvqyY]Does your camera store still think DSLR is the only format for a pro? Ask them to watch this. - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elevkKw7T4M&feature=player_embedded]How Big of a Print from a Mirrorless JPEG Portrait File? 44x44. - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UTeNQxDfXU]Commercial Shooter Plans his Hybrid Future. - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9Z1Dv7t-oI&feature=player_embedded]On Location with Giulio Sciorio for a Commercial Hybrid Advertising Campaign in Austin, TX - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_b675PSoH8&feature=player_embedded]Another Reason to Consider Pro Mirrorless over DSLR? - YouTube[/ame]

6. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
  7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    In case anybody new to this thread doesn't feel like wading through the OP's post, let me summarize it for you:

I'll never understand what possesses people to write these threads, but I've seen it not just here but in numerous forums covering a variety of topics.

8. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    LOL :biggrin:.

No worries, DJ - Cub was just letting us know that :43: wasn't his cup of tea after all ("cuppa" being relevant since he's from Kent :wink:).

I think it's good that he listed his reasons and concerns - they mirror my own, only in the opposite direction (would that mean they run side by side :confused:).

Other than DOF (which, I think, is a legitimate difference between full frame and :43:) his other reasonings were things I had considered before leaving Nikon and going with Olympus.

For me Olympus has worked beautifully; "more than satisfied" won't cover my satisfaction level with :43:; for Cub the experience turned out to be not so satisfactory.

We should all relax and enjoy...

:2thumbs:

Best regards,

Jim

9. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    You're obviously right, Jim. :thumbup:

I'm sure my depiction of CUB's remarks says more about me than it does CUB. I just get annoyed when people feel the need to take shots as they walk out the door.

Cheers! :beer:

10. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Yeah...but your response was funny :2thumbs:.

Regards,

Jim

(I'm going to cut 'n paste it into a .txt file for future reference...I may have need of it :biggrin:).

11. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    If my mom were in charge of this thread she would suggest everyone just be quiet until it faded into oblivion. Parting shots just bring out the worst in everyone.

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Hold on a second...

Before we all burn the OP at the stake, we should into account of a couple of things.

1) He's Mu-43.com donor
    2) He's been a member for over a year with 200+ posts

13. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Good point.

14. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    RT, that's nice to give the OP the benefit of the doubt. Viewing his past posts revealed he came back here after not posting since January. January. He stopped posting January and came back in late July to say goodbye. Now, read the post again. He's flipping us all the bird. We're too stupid to see the light. I couldn't care less what he says, but no one needs to cut him any slack. He can go enjoy his Nikon-whatever-his-format-is-called.

15. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I'd like to think that posts stand on their own, regardless of how many posts someone makes or whether or not they donate money.

Having said that, threads always go sideways here when someone insists on telling everybody else what :43: is good or not good for. The OP here certainly did that. He could have easily said that for what he does FF was the way to go. But he said:
    If you are going to go that route you should probably expect a bit of a stomping. I'm not putting on my boots to help, but I can't say I'm too surprised.

16. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Not like he was mean either. I for one like these posts, it's nice to know where people are going instead of just disappearing.

17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Exactly.
    I've seen folks in a Nikon DSLR forum say they were moving to a mirrorless format and they have NOT gotten flamed like the OP has been flamed here...

18. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    My response was admittedly (and purposefully) over the top, but it was not written as a personal attack (though I understand it would be easy to read it that way). Rather, I'm just tired of reading these "parting shot" post.

The OP is certainly justified in making other choices, and I hope that whatever system he settles on serves him well. As a user of this forum, I'm grateful that at some point he made a donation to support it.

19. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Two wrongs don't make a right.

Gordon

20. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Maybe he's looking for someone to leave together with? Ya know, like when you're at a party. It's kinda lame and you really want to leave, but you'd rather leave with others instead of by yourself? :happy-084::happy-084: