So lets talk about something different....

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Djarum, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Digital Photo frames. My significant other is looking for one for her new office at her new job. I know little about them. Something in a 7 or 8 inch size, preferably 4:3. She'd like for it to have either a remote or a touch screen.

Any suggestions?

2. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Shameless plug, as I should disclose that my wife works for this company. I also have no experience with it yet, but the package is on its way. :)

IPEVO Kaleido R7

• Like Like x 1
  3. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    I have two of them.... I could check and see what city in China made them, but my guess is almost anyone would have a better answer than me.

4. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    hey Hyubie, that device looks really cool!

5. Djarum

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I don't care where they are made. I'm asking if any brand or model that they've seen or used was good.

6. Djarum

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    That actually looks pretty cool. Buttons on the front make it easy to change pictures or to change settings. It also looks easy to change from landscape to portrait setting. Do they sell them here in the states?

7. Hyubie

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Hi djarum, yes, they sell in the US. In fact, I think they sell direct only in the US. If you are from other countries, you will have to look for dealers/resellers.

8. ddegomez

ddegomez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2011
    One for landscape and one for portrait, right? Too bad they don't make square viewers. With a single viewer you'd display both formats with the same amount of resolution. Of course, since no one makes a square screen at this time the cost would be outrageous.:eek:

9. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Whats the budget ?

I use an old HP TC1100 tablet - can be picked up cheap. With the keyboard wound back it acts as a stand and using Googles slideshow screen-saver it will run for months. As its a full blown laptop you can hook up a screen to drive a presentation or play music too (it alternates between a slide-show and my mp3 jukebox). Even hook up a webcam and use a motion detector or timed capture to watch the world go by.

A little overkill but if you enjoy tinkering its fun to push the boundaries and re-use old kit.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I like the Kodak models myself :smile:

11. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    That means you can get us substantial discounts! :wink:

Nice styling.

12. Hyubie

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Haha! I guess it won't hurt to ask if they can give a discount to mu43 forum members. This is a photography forum anyway, i'd imagine we'll be a good customer base for this product. :smile:

via mu43 app for Android

13. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i just saw (at bestbuy) a kodak frame that has its own email address you can upload photos to, and it updates!

im going to get one for my mom, so i can send her pics to the frame while im out taking photos during my "adventures" lol

--

ok just checked
    its a kodak pulse
    7" or 10.4"
    roughly $130/200

so pricier than that first cool looking one mentioned, but a bit simpler looking. mebbe pro or con, dunno :)

14. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I have one (a gift). It is a Philips, many have said that it has the best IQ of any they've seen. The gift-giver stated that the high resolution is what led her to the Phillips. Many have also stated that they haven't purchased one because bad IQ on the one's they inspected. So make sure that that resolution/IQ is a factor in your purchase equation. She Googles on-line reviews for everything she purchases, I suggest doing so may help in your decision.

G

15. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I have an 8" Phillips in my office at work and really like it. The images look great and the frame is attractive. Mine displays in a 4:3 ratio, has 128 mb memory built in, can use SD cards, USB flash drives, Memory Sticks and a few other card types, and has a remote. Quality and features vary widely, you may want to see the frames demo'd before deciding on one.