1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

So, it finally happened. ;)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by pake, Jul 1, 2014.

1. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    My girlfriend finally did the inevitable: bought a used Olympus E-M5 to replace/accompany her Canon 5Dmk2. Since the street price for 5DII is so low (half of what she paid ~18 months ago) there's really no point in selling the gear - at least for now.

Even though in her opinion 5D has better IQ, the difference isn't big enough for her to drag the massive gear around. Especially since we like to fly across the Europe using RyanAir (which is only cheap if you have luggage less than 10kg) all the saved kilograms count a lot. And now we can share the lenses too so it will help me/us to expand the collection as well. Not a bad thing either... :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Look like you'll be fighting for gear between yourselves now. On another note, from everything I've heard about RyanAir, I'm surprised they don't weight the passengers as well.

3. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    LOL. I bet one day they will... :biggrin:

4. In Australia the value of a used 5D MkII has barely moved in the last two or three years.

5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    In good light there's almost nothing to choose between an E-M5 and a 5dii. In fact, DR is better on the Oly - the ability to recover highlight detail far surpasses what the Canon can handle. Pushing shadows is a much better experience with the Oly too - 5dii shadows get noisy and show banding very quickly. The Canon beats the Oly in low light though, esp at ISO 1600 or higher.

6. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Exactly what I've discovered too. I process both our photos in Lightroom and it's so much easier to process the E-M5 raws because of the better DR.

7. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    At least the "local ebay" in Finland has really low prices for 5Dmk2. If you want to sell yours you'd have to keep the price as low as the "competitors" which means the body only for 800-900 €. At least last time I checked...

8. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    They've started doing that in Samoa apparently...

9. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I guess that's the place to start if they want Samoa money. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 3
  10. Qiou87

Qiou87 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2013
    Paris, France
    I took a pretty loss when I sold my 1-year-old 5D2 in 2013, but it was still a lot more than 900€ for the body. Maybe try eBay allowing shipping to Europe (if the costs for you are reasonable), I know it helped me get a lot more cash for my photo gear. Local markets, especially in smaller countries, can be tough.

As for the 5D2 vs. E-M5, the difference is still there in low light, but in broad daylight the E-M5's DR is appreciated. Though I do find the DR is much better in the shadows, where you can pull an incredible amount of detail compared to the Canon, whereas highlight detail is not as good in my book - the Oly clips sooner than the Canon did.

All in all though, considering the price/size difference, the E-M5 is mighty impressive, and I'm not surprised your girlfriend is not using her 5D2 much anymore. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I would give a lens if my wife would even try to enjoy my hobby!

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1