1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

So it finally happened...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by pake, Dec 12, 2011.

1. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I've been with my girlfriend just over a year now and yesterday she finally said something I've been waiting for... She wants her own m4/3 camera! :biggrin: This is "a big deal" since she's been a Canon fangirl since the day we've met (well actually much longer). She's a freelance translator and does work for Canon sometimes. She's had a Canon EOS 350 for a some time now and at first she wouldn't believe my E-PL1 could take better pictures than her EOS. Well, it took one trip to London to make her admit E-PL1 was better. :thumbup:

Yesterday she wanted to borrow my E-PL1 - and obviously I let her. When she came back from shooting, she asked me how much the Lumix 20mm costs and told me to buy another m4/3 camera (that I've been planning for months) so she could have my old one. :biggrin:

I knew that someday she would admit that it's "pointless" to carry a big dinosaur (EOS 350D) everywhere when you could carry a camera that is half the size/weight and took better pictures. I don't think I can give my E-PL1 (that I love) to her but I've got a plan: Instead of buying just the VF-2 I've been planning, I will try to buy a and old E-P2 with the VF-2 from eBay. Then I could let her use the E-P2 as much as she wants. Though I'm pretty sure that it would end in buying another 20mm Lumix in our family... :tongue:

And here's a few words about our forum... I love this place. Everyone's kind and always willing to help. I follow a few Finnish forums and most of them are full of people who just mock others and think other people are dumber than they are. They don't make you feel welcome - unlike here. I know I don't contribute much here but I'm reading the posts here every day and enjoy my stay. Keep up the good work guys (and girls)! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 3
  2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Awesome.

3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

That's what it's all about. Form and function.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm glad to hear that after a year you two are finally taking that "next step" together. :)

That's a good idea to get the E-P2 bundled with the VF-2. But you should just let her keep the E-P2. xD It is a very fine camera...

5. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Hehe, thanks. Yeah, if I can get that combo before Christmas, the E-P2 would make a great present for her...

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, but don't go playing with her present to much. It'll probably make you conflicted, lol. :) The E-P2 is definitely nicer to handle, though the E-PL1 does deliver better images.

7. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Lucky you

8. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    So Pake... are you going to slip an engagement ring into the camera box for your girlfriend... or will you make sure she's a full :43: convert first? :wink:

9. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Congratulations on the next steps together :). I still have my dinosaur (350D+grip) lying around with the 50mm f1.8. I have way too many awesome memories associated with it. It'll probably be with me forever :).

10. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    Awesome! Consider yourself lucky!

I live with a 5D girl who's now making noises about the new 1DX.

Oi.

11. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Ashland, OR USA
    David
    Sounds like you found the perfect woman, pake. And +1 on your comment about this forum. This place is so much more enjoyable, informative, and supportive than the other forum I regularly check. Kudos to the admin and the members here! :thumbup:

David

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Obviously he has to be sure she's a full convert first. How could he marry somebody who's not? Silly man. ;)

13. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    LOL. No ring till she gets rid of the Canon gear... :rofl:

14. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Well... Mine dreams of buying a 5Dmk2 but can't afford it. Maybe she'll stop dreaming about it when she gets a m4/3. :biggrin:

To be honest, I wouldn't mind if she really bought the 5D. Then I could borrow it sometimes to get great pictures without any noise... :cool:

EDIT: Hehe, a 1DX, eh? And I thought 5Dmk2 was too expensive... =D

15. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

other considerations ...

Hmm, to get great pictures with less noise you say? You mean you want to buy the GH2 or GH1 then. Yea ether way its 3 or 4 times cheaper than the 5D. :wink:

Also regarding the E-P2, have you thought about how she might feel about not having an on board Flash flash available? I don't know if she uses it or not but i know that's a deal breaker with many. Maybe you should just upgrade to an E-PL2 and giver her the E-PL1.

16. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I don't know why but I prefer the "slimmer" models - even though I'm losing IQ because of it. And I'm only interested in 5D because of its superb image quality. Having a 5D could possibly mean less time playing with Lightroom & Photoshop (trying to get rid of the noise) but I think it's more important to have a camera that fits in your pocket (sometimes) and is easy to carry with. Unfortunately I can't have both. Yet. I'm pretty sure that will change in the near future.

Hmmm, good point. Perhaps I should ask about the flash before buying the E-P2...

17. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    Ha! No, trust me, and this is from personal experience, there is no less time spent in PP in either LR or PS with mine when she processes stuff from her 5D.

Landscape shoots are perfectionists. She is no different.

• Like Like x 1