1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

So impressed with E-M5 jpegs

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by thearne3, Apr 18, 2012.

1. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I took a photo of an old map this evening: hand held at 1/6 sec, 45mm lens at ISO 3200. Then, after Autolevels in Aperture, pushed it +2.5 stops. Color rendition is excellent. Detail is great. Negligible noise. WOW!

MapinLowLight.

Here is a 100% crop:

Map100_Crop.

• Like Like x 8
  2. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Wow! Impressive @ 3200, my E-P2 is jealous.

3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Looking really impressive! I don't regret buying what I bought, but damn this is looking like a great camera! Not that i doubted it would be... Maybe if I sell enough stuff when I get home... An X-Pro 1 and an EM5 plus maybe one cheap compact could be a pretty great kit. My X100 and GXR and epl3 could be for sale in early May.

Wow, the X-Pro 1 for that crazy ultimate IQ and low light and it's own unique handling and an EM5 for its speed, AF, ibis, and lens versatility. And very very VERY good IQ on top of it. I may have to find a way.

-Ray

4. thinkcooper

thinkcooper Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 29, 2011
    Optimal EM5 LCD display settings for low light?

I'm sure I just haven't found the right settings yet, but my LCD display is darker than I'd like in low light scenarios. My EP3 display in the same conditions, with the same lenses is very bright and does a great job of approximating exposure in low light. The EM5 display is harder to dial in. It appears that I have have a range of 1.5-2 stops under or over on the display, and then it no longer adjusts based on exposure settings. Is there a setting anyone could recommend? I'll be giving Oly tech support a call in the AM but any suggestions would be awesome.

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Wow, just . . . Wow! The more I see the more I want this camera. Gonna be very hard to wait for the price to come down to the point where I can afford one!

6. thearne3

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I posted this late last night. A few observations: old paper isn't the best subject for looking at noise! Even so, not much in the way of artifacts - and the IS really performed!

I also noticed that the WB was not spot on - the map hasn't yellowed that much (though what do you expect after 300 years? Here's a corrected version:

Map_005.

• Like Like x 2
  7. thearne3

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Amazing IS!

This is a lousy subject but was the brightest object around when I was photographing the OM 300mm f4 on the EM5. I thought I'd take a picture...no well-thought out process, just a few shots. 75% were like this one.

Handheld, 300mm f4 1/25s ISO3200:
    Handheld_OM_300mm_f4.

• Like Like x 1