1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

So I Went Out Today Looking For Snakes

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nueces snapper, Apr 15, 2012.

1. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I didn't find any.

I found this guy:

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

I blew him up a bit. I guess he was a juvenile as he isn't much bigger than the burs he is surrounded with. Guess he took over some rodent's old HQ which was under a chunk of old log.

Then I saw these guys:

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

Guess they were having a little get together over something.

Then I came across this:

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

I thought it was nice.

Then this popped up:

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

Maybe it's a triffid

These Prickly Pear were prolific:

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

I'll see if I can find a snake tomorrow. ( I did put one nice snake pic up recently on the cell phone pics thread. )

All pics OOC jpegs with just a little sharpening but for the cropped spider and shot with the 40/150

• Like Like x 14
  2. rstrader

rstrader Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    Nice shots! I'll call you Humpy Retro if you like.

3. nueces snapper

Thanks. It won't be really apropos however until I get my humpy retro camera the EM5. That could be a while the way things are going. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  4. blaffendespin

blaffendespin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2012
    Rexburg, ID
    Great shots! That first one gave me the creeps though...I'm arachnophobic:biggrin:

5. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    "Great shots! That first one gave me the creeps though..."

Yeah - me too; I can handle snakes all day long but if a spider larger (legs and all) than about the size of a dime shows up - I'm gone and my wife has to deal with it! :(

"I blew him up a bit." I'd have blown him up too - with a 12 Ga Pump! well, not really. I did shoot one once but I was much younger...

As noted - great pics; I'm impressed by that 40-140...

Oops, typo: 40-150

6. nueces snapper

Youse arachnophobes, We have a healthy population of tarantulas here in central Texas. This one was a youngun. They get about big enough to fill up your hand. They 'can' bite but usually don't. You don't want to pick them up however as their hairs on their backs are a potent irritant. The females build boroughs and you seldom see them. The males wander around looking for females and you find them just about anywhere. They are usually just meandering around any old place and are slow and ponderous. They don't attempt to run and hide or get away from you. :smile:

7. blaffendespin

blaffendespin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2012
    Rexburg, ID
    Well I guess I won't ever be going to Texas then...no matter how tempting the BBQ might be :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    From most of the women I know, you find most snakes in local watering holes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I was hoping the guy in the first photo would meet the guys in the second photo for a very interesting 3rd photo ...

10. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    You live in a land of beautiful prickly things.

11. nueces snapper

heh heh
    Yeah, we don't go barefoot much. :biggrin:

Especially in the house in the dark. That's when you step on the little two inch scorpions that feel like about six wasps stinging you at the same time at the same spot. :eek:

12. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    " That's when you step on the little two inch scorpions that feel like about six wasps stinging you at the same time at the same spot."

Funny - when I was a kid I chased after a scorpion - first one I ever saw. It ran under a rock and I stuck my hand under to grab it. I didn't chase any scorpions after that. ;)

13. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    When I was living in the mountains east of Albuquerque and working on a stubborn on-its-last-legs generator, I saw a "moving rock" out of the corner of my eye, which turned out to be a pretty hefty tarantula. I like them. I don't necessarily want to find one on my pillow, but they're slow, ponderous things, like you said, and hard not to have a soft spot for. In general, I think spiders are pretty interesting, lots of them with great patterns and colors. It's been that way since I was house painting as a teenager, and they always stuck me up under the overhang of the house, where the spiders hung out, because it was lousy, work-over-your-head kind of labor. It gave me a taste for watching spiders, though.

Now snakes is another matter. I'd never harm one, and they can be amazingly beautiful, but I don't go out "looking" for them like you did.

• Like Like x 2
  14. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    The tarantulas are certainly interesting but I have to agree - I would not go looking for snakes! :tongue:

15. nueces snapper

Oh we got some great slitherers hereabouts. I am ashamed that I have not managed to photograph the greatest of our snakes .... the Texas Indigo.

Here's one stolen from the web:

[​IMG]

Google em. Click 'images'. Fantastic animals and they eat rattlers.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaKBTMMhCXnS0W8kV95Dsq4_FmXsLadge7T1MzSCWaca7iwaBE_A.

16. Farcanalman

Farcanalman  

Feb 12, 2012
    Looks like a...

Sericopelma sp. by the looks of it; Can bite but mainly only with prey, they flick irritant hairs as a 1st line of defence!

:eek:

17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    You know...
    Living in Texas myself, I pretty much recognize all these life forms :biggrin:

18. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    We've got useful snakes hereabouts as well - I appreciate them . . . but I don't go hunting them. I try to treat 'em kindly when I come across one - it's sort of live and let live. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  19. Brownian

Brownian Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Ireland
    What a coincidence. I was just having a chat the other day with a snake who said he was out hunting for a photographer.

Perhaps you guys will meet up.

A friend of mine - great photographer - once proudly told me about how excited he was to be included in an expedition to find and catch Inland Taipans in Queensland Australia. Apart from having the most lethal venom of all land snakes, they are very fast and can be 2.5 m in length. Rather him than be would be an understatement.