1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

So I took the OMD to a photoshoot yesteday.....

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by asaulo1, May 7, 2012.

1. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    As luck would have it, I was invited to a model photoshoot yesterday with a bunch of friends. I decided to bring along the OMD with the 14mm 2.5 lens as well as the Fuji X Pro 1 and my 7D. I shot exclusively for the most of the day with the XP1 and went through 2 fresh batteries. Around an hour left into the shoot, I decided to bring out the OMD and use it til we wrapped up. I ws pleasantly surprised with the OMD and it's controls. I was shooting in Manual mode and the 2 control wheels proved invaluable in adjusting my settings in an instant. With the ISO setting programmed into fs2, I was rocking. Anyway, it was a bit of a surpise that the models reacted the way they did when I shot them with the OMD. Being that the other photogs were shooting with big, honkin' DSLRs, they were kind of taken aback that I was using this little camera. Irregardless, when I show them the images from the gorgeous OLED screen, they were quite surprised as how good the images were. I am still culling some of the photos but have been able to do some post on a few. I used the new DNG converter from adobe and proceeded to use LR3.6 on them. Here are a few....
    P50602971294.jpg
    P50600231022.jpg
    P50602891286.jpg
    P50600881087.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    What was this shoot for? While the image quality is good I just find most of the shots awkward. The models seem very out of place, and I just feel confused about what I'm looking at.

3. Jazztrumpet5

Jazztrumpet5 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    Kansas City
    You're looking at a thread about the OM-D's performance at a shoot, and how the photographer thought it responded.

4. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    it's for the MUAs hair and makeup catalog... I guess I didn't do such a good job in directing them... it's only my 1st time doing a shoot with actual models :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Thanks for clearing that up.

• Like Like x 1
  6. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    Holy smartass Batman :confused:

7. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Congrats on the shoot.

Sounds like you enjoyed the OMD, must admit, I like the idea of having dual control dials.

In terms of the images, the model has a certain look about her with her pale complexion, old world influenced dress and crazy hair style (excuse my poor ladies fashion terminology)....as a result, I find the slightly 'unnatural' look of the first image suites the model and environment much more than the natural look to the processing in the rest of the set.

The PP in #1 really enhances the 'other world' feeling. Reminds me of old photos of a cooky grandmother ;)

8. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    Thanks. It was actually quite fun to shoot with the OMD. I just wish I had a better lens with me but I have to admit, the 14mm actually did pretty well. I really would have liked to have had the optional grip since I was a little too concious of the size of the OMD and how little grip surface it had... especially since you're walking in uneven ground....