So I think I fixed the annoying E-M5 fn1 button...

BigTom

Mu-43 Regular
Hi all,

I recently got my grubby mitts on an E-M5 and in general I'm extremely impressed with it. However, the often-denounced fn1 and playback buttons are a real pain - I have to form a horrible double jointed thumb-claw to get anywhere near them, or completely shift my grip.

So last night I did something about it - I found a suitably sized bit of rubber in my bits jar (it's the pad off a laptop foot in my case, your bits jar contents may differ!), applied two small blobs of sugru (http://sugru.com/) and left overnight to cure. I can now easily press either button simply by rolling my thumb across the piece of rubber without having to change my grip at all :)

A couple of pictures (you can see a little bit of the yellow sugru sticking out at the edges - it's also available in black which would be almost invisible) -

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'll have to see how long it lasts, but tests this morning seemed promising.

BigTom

Mu-43 Regular
Yeah it'll probably fall off tomorrow and I'll look stupid, but for today at least I can bask in the warm glow of victory :p

Will update when it falls off...

BigTom

Mu-43 Regular
I did briefly look at rocker boots on ebay but it was too much hassle checking sizes on everything so I just went with what was at hand. Great minds though :wink:

heyjohn

New to Mu-43
Are the fn buttons that bad? I have my e-m5 on its way so i haven't gotten a chance to play with it yet

snkenai

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Sometimes, home solutions work best, and usually a lot cheaper.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Well, I guess we all have opinions (and different-sized hands), but the size of these buttons and their placement so close to the (rather thick) LCD bezel makes them far less than ideal. It's the weakest part of the camera's ergonomics IMHO and it's a weakness that's been fixed on both the E-P5 and E-M1.

BigTom

Mu-43 Regular
I think it probably depends slightly on how you use the fn1 button (and of course will be somewhat down to different individual's hand size/prefered grips etc). If you're only jabbing at the fn1 occasionally during chimping or on a tripod or perhaps to change AF mode or something then perhaps it won't be an issue. However for something like back button focusing I found it almost impossible to use fluidly.

BigTom

Mu-43 Regular
So just as a little followup to the fix having been living with it a few days; the button is still firmly on and working really well. The only potential downside is that it can make sometimes make getting to the nearest top dial a bit tricky with your thumb, but I've found as a result that it's just as easy to operate the dial with a finger from the front of the camera without adjusting your grip, so still a win for me.

BigTom

Mu-43 Regular
Yeah I did consider that. I expect it would work but would be a bit trickier to get it looking neat I think.

Similar to this but a bit more complex - http://sugru.com/gallery/enlarge-a-camera-button-that-s-too-small

I'm not sure if the sugru would remain compressible enough to depress easily if it completely surrounded the existing buttons. But you could probably mould something to a similar shape to the rubber I used and then attach it in the same way I did (so that it 'floats' a bit).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom