1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

So I think I fixed the annoying E-M5 fn1 button...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BigTom, Jan 16, 2014.

1. BigTom

BigTom Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2011
    Cornwall
    Hi all,

I recently got my grubby mitts on an E-M5 and in general I'm extremely impressed with it. However, the often-denounced fn1 and playback buttons are a real pain - I have to form a horrible double jointed thumb-claw to get anywhere near them, or completely shift my grip.

So last night I did something about it - I found a suitably sized bit of rubber in my bits jar (it's the pad off a laptop foot in my case, your bits jar contents may differ!), applied two small blobs of sugru (http://sugru.com/) and left overnight to cure. I can now easily press either button simply by rolling my thumb across the piece of rubber without having to change my grip at all :)

A couple of pictures (you can see a little bit of the yellow sugru sticking out at the edges - it's also available in black which would be almost invisible) -

40xk.

dpve.

I'll have to see how long it lasts, but tests this morning seemed promising.

• Like Like x 2
  2. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    Clever solution....hope it stays stuck :wink:

3. BigTom

BigTom Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2011
    Cornwall
    Yeah it'll probably fall off tomorrow and I'll look stupid, but for today at least I can bask in the warm glow of victory :p

Will update when it falls off...

4. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Good idea. I wonder if someone makes an appropriately sized rubber rocker switch boot:

5. BigTom

BigTom Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2011
    Cornwall
    I did briefly look at rocker boots on ebay but it was too much hassle checking sizes on everything so I just went with what was at hand. Great minds though :wink:

6. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    :thumbup:

7. heyjohn

heyjohn New to Mu-43

Jan 19, 2014
    Are the fn buttons that bad? I have my e-m5 on its way so i haven't gotten a chance to play with it yet

8. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    in a single word yes :) almost worth the upgrade to EM1 just for buttons :)

9. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Sometimes, home solutions work best, and usually a lot cheaper.

10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Would be good if someone with a 3d printer could produce something tailor made. I'd buy one for sure.

11. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I never thought so, and still happily use my E-M5, but I've got smallish hands. So it depends. You'll know how it works for you soon enough.

12. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, I guess we all have opinions (and different-sized hands), but the size of these buttons and their placement so close to the (rather thick) LCD bezel makes them far less than ideal. It's the weakest part of the camera's ergonomics IMHO and it's a weakness that's been fixed on both the E-P5 and E-M1.

13. BigTom

BigTom Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2011
    Cornwall
    I think it probably depends slightly on how you use the fn1 button (and of course will be somewhat down to different individual's hand size/prefered grips etc). If you're only jabbing at the fn1 occasionally during chimping or on a tripod or perhaps to change AF mode or something then perhaps it won't be an issue. However for something like back button focusing I found it almost impossible to use fluidly.

14. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I like back button focusing, so it's a fairly big deal for me - but I live with it!

15. BigTom

BigTom Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2011
    Cornwall
    So just as a little followup to the fix having been living with it a few days; the button is still firmly on and working really well. The only potential downside is that it can make sometimes make getting to the nearest top dial a bit tricky with your thumb, but I've found as a result that it's just as easy to operate the dial with a finger from the front of the camera without adjusting your grip, so still a win for me.

16. heyjohn

heyjohn New to Mu-43

Jan 19, 2014
    Would it work if you would just use straight sugru and mold it into a rocker switch?

17. BigTom

BigTom Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2011
    Cornwall
    Yeah I did consider that. I expect it would work but would be a bit trickier to get it looking neat I think.

Similar to this but a bit more complex - http://sugru.com/gallery/enlarge-a-camera-button-that-s-too-small

I'm not sure if the sugru would remain compressible enough to depress easily if it completely surrounded the existing buttons. But you could probably mould something to a similar shape to the rubber I used and then attach it in the same way I did (so that it 'floats' a bit).

18. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    Or you could just get an EM1:tongue:

19. BigTom

BigTom Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2011
    Cornwall
    Buy my E-M5 for £1200 and I'd consider it :p