1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

So i made the Switch....GX85

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Hotahseh, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Hotahseh

Hotahseh Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
    Miami
    JC
    Leaving my Full frame sony and jumped on micro four thirds.
    for those interested in what camera body i had before, well it was the Sony A900

Was able to get a really good deal on my GX85 and wow...Amazing camera for the money. Really happy that jumping into this system had no regrets because personally i am not losing anything in my work flow or image quality for how i shoot.

Used the GX85 today while teaching in a meetup group today and i was just impressed with the monochrome jpegs this little guy was pumping out. Here are some photos from the train station museum i was able to take today. All done with included 12-32 Kit Lens

27948006622_506409a580_c.
    28050363685_4e5edcafcc_c.
    27436299403_cb69e01786_c.
    27436552204_36a8e99643_c.
    27769620850_06482b28d9_c.

Nothing crazy, but hope any other GX85 user is as happy as i am with the camera

• Like Like x 22
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. DennisH

DennisH Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2016
    Dennis
    Great photos! Glad your enjoying your GX85. I had it for 10 days and returned it since I already had the E-OMD M10 Mark II and was able to compare what I liked most. The G85 is a great camera just the M10-II to me had a clearer EVF , form factor that spoke to me more, and big dials (better ergonomics). I do like the form factor of the GX85 but in a smaller version like the GM5. In another post I told myself that if the price dropped to $599 I might come back to the GX85 for another choice/option on my shelf. Welcome to MFTs world.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

3. Zuri

Zuri Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2016
    Welcome to the family. I got the GX7 but thinking about GX85 myself, mainly because the awesome IS in 4k.
    Enjoy!

4. Hotahseh

Hotahseh Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
    Miami
    JC
    Truly a great camera

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The 12-32 isn't fast but it's pretty sharp across the frame.

6. Hotahseh

Hotahseh Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
    Miami
    JC
    yea i didnt know much about the kit lens and how nice it actually is, im used to the regular kit lens that i just leave in my camera bag and never use, but do see my self using this glass

7. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    Nice results! I've been very happy with my GX85 - I don't use the kits lens but rather prefer the 12-35/2.8 and others. Which monochrome mode did you use - the results look great.

8. Hotahseh

Hotahseh Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
    Miami
    JC
    i wish i had that fast glass lol, but i was using the Dynamic monochrome mode, and adjusted the blacks/shadows in camera. Great how you can pull back on the blacks or just go completely dramatic and make the image really dark in camera. saves me from going into post

9. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    Thanks for the insight - I've found that I like the Dynamic monochrome better than the L-monochrome mode - for the same reasons you've stated. When I adopted the m4/3 system (from Nikon FF/fast glass) I jumped in with both feet and got the faster zooms (only ones available for quite a while - they're fantastic BTW) as well as the primes - you should really try a couple of the standard primes - 45/1.8 for example - reasonably priced and brings the m4/3 results up a notch or two!

• Like Like x 1
  10. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    The IS works for very well for stills as well - much improved over the GX7's IBIS implementation.

11. Hotahseh

Hotahseh Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
    Miami
    JC
    yea ive ordered the 45mm, so i can get back on my portraits. cant wait, funny how the lenses are so small and feel like a toy haha, but oh so powerful

12. Hotahseh

Hotahseh Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
    Miami
    JC
    yea i was considering the g7 to save some money, but then ive seen some reviews here and there and just decided after holding the two, really like the smaller feel for some reason on the gx85

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Fortunately, when you changed cameras you kept your skills.:)

• Like Like x 2
  14. Hotahseh

Hotahseh Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
    Miami
    JC
    Haha barely :boohoo::rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. ddekadt

ddekadt Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2013
    Cambridge, MA
    Daniel
    Welcome to the community. Looking forward to seeing what you achieve with M43. I switched out from APS-C a long time ago, and am very happy. :)

16. Hotahseh

Hotahseh Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
    Miami
    JC
    I'm excited to share my photos soon! And try to keep constant updates as well :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  17. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Wow, what a mature camera decision! Heheh. Going from the godlike full frame format to m4/3 because it suits your photography better?? Don't let the trolls in here!

I've gotten some really nice results from dynamic monochrome on my GM5, however I do like the extra control which the L Monochrome mode allows me, since it's not an art filter. Set it to a red filter and you still get very strong contrast. I think the difference is mainly that dynamic monochrome pumps up the high-key values whereas L Monochrome aims for tonality through the whole range. Which sometimes leaves the image looking a bit flat since there aren't as many truly high-key values, but then you can set the white point where you like with some very simple post processing which doesn't degrade the image. I've also experimented with upping the highlight values in the curves adjustment, but havent gotten enough results to be certain whether it helps yet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Hotahseh

Hotahseh Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
    Miami
    JC
    I get you. But that's why I lean towards the dynamic monochrome so I can avoid the post lol. Oh for sure I will be flamed from this post haha but to each their own. Will probably make a video showing my work flow with the full frame compared to the gx85

• Like Like x 3
  19. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I've got a couple shots from dynamic monochrome on the GM5 that I just love.

• Like Like x 1
  20. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Punchbuggy white!

Welcome to the group. After dabbling in M43 several years ago, I have come back full strength with a pair of GX85s. Damn good little camera.

• Like Like x 2