1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

So I just got some new toys(new to me anyways)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by VinVin, Oct 8, 2011.

1. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    I just bought two lenses from a user on Kijiji. The Konica Hexanon 57mm f1.4, and the 40mm f1.8. I just ordered the adapters for my E-P1 (Hopefully soon I'll be picking up an E-P3) off of ebay. Total spent was 140 Canadian, and I can't wait until my adapters are here so I can start shooting!

Oh a side note, the 40mm doesn't have that little piece that sticks out at mount (The aperture Diaphragm I think) and I was wondering if that's a problem or if I could leave it like that?

Thanks,

Kevin

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Does your 40mm have an AE setting on the aperture ring? If not, then perhaps it predates that. If it does, then maybe it's been modified to mount on a different SLR or DSLR mount. Konica AR lenses required modification to mount with Four-Thirds as well.

I have the 40mm f/1.8 as well as the 50mm f/1.4 (not the 57mm). I love them both, but the 50mm f/1.4 is my favorite. ;) They are very sharp lenses, even wide open.

• Like Like x 1
  3. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    The 40mm does have AE and the end of the aperture settings but the previous owner said he modified it to work with his 4/3's camera (An olympus of some sort).

Even if it doesn't have the aperture diaphragm does it works the same when adapted to the EP1?

4. There was a procedure to modify the AR mount to fit on Four Thirds cameras. This document outlines one such method, but I'm just the messenger here; I have no firsthand experience with how the modification works.

• Like Like x 1
  5. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    Yeah, the original owner did that modification. I just wanted to know if it would affect my use of it?

6. My impression was that the modification made it possible to mount the lens directly onto a four thirds camera with no adapter, meaning that to use it on a m4/3 camera you need a m4/3-4/3 adapter, not a m4/3-KAR adapter. Either way you'll find out when your new adapter arrives.

• Like Like x 1
  7. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    It looks like this was the way he converted it. If this is the case i would assume it works with the hexanon adapter... Since the actual mount was not chaged. He took off the piece that made it work with his FT (a small piece of foam) and it seems like the only piece missing is the aperture diaphragm... Aii... This is confusing

http://blanahi.fortunecity.es/HexanonFTconversion.html

8. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    What you posted Vinvin, it looks like all you need is the Konica-m4/3 mount. All they did was remove that aperature tab. As long as the aperature ring still works the blades, you should be find... Looks like they just removed that aperature tab and the other tab next to it so it can clear to mount without an adapter.

No experience with this modification either.

• Like Like x 1
  9. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    Well since none of us have experience with this I'll update everyone on whether the lens fits on the adapter when I get it in the mail! Thanks everyone :)

10. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    So my adapters came in today. The modified hexanon 40mm 1.8 works perfectly with it on my E-P1 and E-P3. The only thing I noticed that happens with the modified 40mm that does not happen with the 57mm is that with the 40 you can over-turn the lens in the adapter and then it comes off. So basically you have to know where to stop turning. Other than that everything is working perfectly!