1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

So, I bought a D800.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by hankbaskett, Jan 29, 2013.

1. hankbaskett

hankbaskett Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    So this afternoon I picked up a Nikon D800 and the 50 f/1.4 G and the 85 f/1.4.

I've got an OM-D and most of the trimmings (20,25,45,60,75,12-35, HLD6), I absolutely adore the system. Unlike a lot of the old... er experienced photographers on here who grew up on *SLR systems, I just got into photography in the past few years, going from point and shoot to advanced point and shoots/zooms to a E-PM1 with a 20 to the where I am now, so I thought it would be kind of interesting to share the perspective of a mirrorless user going to dSLR instead of the usual vice-versa. That's not to say I'm planning on giving up my OM-D and m4/3 glass though! This is in addition to that.

My first impressions,
    are a) I miss the heck out of the EVF

and b) The DOF is too damn narrow at the apertures I would like to shoot at in low light conditions with a reasonable shutter speed. I guess I can up the aperture and crank the ISO a little more on the D800 though as the high ISO performance should be improved, but that will take some getting used to.

On the positive side, I have a fast laptop and very fast desktop, so the filesize doesn't seem to be a real bother. Storage is cheap enough these days. Also, at a 100% crop, there's still a great amount of detail in these. I *try* to compose exactly what I want, how I want it in the frame, but to be honest with you, I often end up cropping a little, and once in a while I end up cropping a lot. This certainly gives the ability to crop a lot.

As far as ergonomics and such, I've taken thousands of shots with my OM-D and am very comfortable with its operation. The D800 seems awkward right now, but that's really not a fair comparison so it will have to wait.

2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I posted a similar thread (https://www.mu-43.com/f51/thoughts-full-frame-m4-3-user-39130/) after my experience using a D600 and D800 for a while, also coming from m4/3 first. Interesting to see another set of thoughts from someone else making a similar jump.

Regarding the aperture: for low light, I've been pretty happy with the 50mm f/1.4 shooting at f/2.0 indoors in low light, with a max ISO of 6400. The files are clean enough for me even at ISO 3200, and I find that's usually enough to maintain a decent shutter speed indoors even at f/2.0 while simultaneously offering enough DoF to work with.

ISO 6400 on the OM-D (or GH3 in my case) is reasonably clean, but the D800 seems to do a bit better for overall noise. I think the larger number of pixels to work with seems to give it a decided advantage in maintaining detail even with noise reduction once you resize down to screen sizes. I've yet to try prints to compare though, which will be interesting to see if it's visible there.

3. hankbaskett

hankbaskett Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    That's interesting JLoden, and kind of amusing that we both had the same thoughts on DOF and the OVF, which are the two things that people coming from dSLR/FF to mirrorless/m4/3 often complain about, except they want that narrow DOF and don't like the EVF.

Your post kinda puts mine to shame though :p.

4. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Haha, what can I say... I'm kinda long-winded :redface:

The OVF/EVF thing is weird coming from an EVF, but I have to say I have gotten used to the OVF over time. The tough part was being used to Panasonic where the EVF gains up the scene instead of just what your eye sees. But I did get used to it, and I think I slightly prefer an optical viewfinder now... just feels natural and intuitive. I do sometimes miss having the viewfinder reflect exposure settings and being able to overlay stuff like the histogram, but it's all give and take so I appreciate both for different reasons.

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Interesting comments about the DoF. I use the 85mm ƒ1.8 on my film full frame & I love the shallow DoF that it creates.

But in the end, it's always "to each their own"....:smile:

6. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I love me some shallow DoF, just not when it means half of someone's face is out of focus when I'm trying to take some dinner or party photos :biggrin:

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Better stay away from that Leica NOCTILUX-M 50 mm f/0.95 ASPH then :wink:

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Talkin' about apple and oranges ... you know you're comparing a 36mp FF camera against a 16mp µ4/3 sensor ... one would think the Nikon would blow the Oly out of the water ... but it isn't the case.

Gary

9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have the D800E/D800 and the OM-D actually excels in a lot of areas. Better AWB, better metering and exposure and better low light quality when shooting static subjects (using a fast prime). Also when shooting telephoto, you have more cropping ability with the denser 16mp M43 sensor. The 75mm 1.8 is actually quite comparable to the Nikon 70-200 VR in terms of sharpness and OOF blur.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    My Canon 1Ds' are very dusty.

G

11. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I too felt the same way about the EVF over OVFs. I wanted to go DSLR for the better focus tracking and such, but the only DSLR that comes with EVF & PDAF combo is the Sony SLT line.

If you really are interested in a FF DSLR, and the EVF is really a must, there is always Sony SLT A99? It's FF sensor, paired with and the EVF we have come to love. As for quality of the EVF they higher end SLTs are OLED, and are very nice. Can't say much about the OMD or GH3, but the EVF on my A57 is pretty equal to my G2. Just a thought.

12. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    My D800E sits inside the drybox doing nothing, whilst micro 4/3s and a rangefinder gets the job... it's been a ride, i used to be loyal only to nikon hehe...

13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I guess if someone gave me a bucket of money and I had to buy a Nikon, I'd still go for the "old" D3S :smile:

14. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    D3S is still king of high-iso to many Nikonians, even with the advent of D4.