So how well do Pens handle water, really?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Promit, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Okay, so of course these cameras are not designed for rough weather. The bodies aren't sealed, the lenses aren't sealed, and it's just not in the plan. But practically speaking, cameras get wet and manufacturer cautions are always paranoid compared to reality (with good reason). Still, rain happens, water splashes happen, dropped cameras happen.

So how wet have you gotten your camera(s)? And what were the results?
  2. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Fairly routinely pull out from jacket in light rain, snap shot, return to cover. Generally shield lens with my left hand. Never perfectly 'safe' from a few drops. So far so good.

Good question. Interested in how careful others are...
  3. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    I'll use any of my cameras in light rain, without concern. And I've shot in waist deep water with my Pens more than once. To be honest I'm more careful when it's dusty and windy than when it's wet. I carry a chamois cloth when it's wet and just give the camera a wipe off.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    More or less the same here - EP1 and m.Zuiko zooms, rain and lots of sand in the wind : no problem. I also carry the chamois, like Gordon...
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ke7dbx

ke7dbx Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    I had a energy drink explode in my bag. Were my Ep3 was. The EP3 handled it a very well. What did not was my cell phone. The only thing I had to do was clean the contacts on the lens.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I always put the camera back in the bag as soon as it started to rain. It's good to know that there's a fair chance the camera will survive some rain :smile:. I'm just hoping a Panny GH2 behaves the same as an Oly camera here.