So how frequent is your G.A.S.?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by usayit, Jan 9, 2015.

1. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I started digital in 2001... prior I was mostly Pentax/Takumar/Asahi and Leica. The following were used seriously for my enjoyment of photography (not counting my cell phone)

Sony U10
    Canon D30
    Canon 10D
    Canon 1dMarkII
    Canon Powershot G1
    Canon Powershot G5
    Samsung/Pentax GX-1L
    Pentax K10D
    Panasonic TZ5
    Panasonic LX3
    Epson RD1
    Leica M8
    Leica M9
    Panasonic G1
    Olympus E-PL1
    Olympus OMD EM5
    Sony WX300
    Sony A7R

I guess in 14 years since my first digital, I guess I am not too bad (seems like many hear can easily beat my rate). It does look that I'm sticking to a particular camera for at least a year plus.

I currently own the E-PL1 (3), M8, M9, A7R, WX300 and OMD EM5. The rest are gone....
    • Like Like x 3
  2. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    • 2004 - Pentax Optio S5i. The camera that got me into photography was a dinky little point & shoot that I loved to death and wish I still had. Sold to help pay for...
    • 2005 - Panasonic DMC-FZ20. A superzoom with a nice constant 2.8 aperture. Taught me a lot about photography but I almost immediately realized that I needed a true DSLR for faster speed, larger sensor, and better handling. Sold to pay for...
    • 2005 - Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D. IBIS in 2006, whaa?? Taught me the photography ropes (ISO/aperture/shutter relationship). Good body, but I made a bad bet on the KM system. Digital lens selection was poor, manual lens selection was rich but flawed. Sold to help pay for...
    • 2006 - Nikon D70. Solidified my love for photography and DSLRs. Treasured this baby even though anything over ISO 400 was a hot mess. Made me a Nikon fan-boy. Plus my dad and uncle shot Nikon so we could share lenses. Sold to help pay for...
    • 2008 - Nikon D80. Big upgrade in ISO and more features. Shot several weddings and other semi-pro stuff with this guy. Would probably have kept this a lot longer except I dropped it (and a Nikkor 85mm) in a creek doing a senior portrait shoot. Which led to...
    • 2009 - Nikon D700. What a beast. Took a lot of shots I'm proud of with this camera. Lots of off-camera lighting stuff, weddings, and the like. Lasted awhile, until we started having babies and it got to be too cumbersome.
    • 2011 - Panasonic GF1. My first test of the M43 format. GF1 + 20mm. Still own and use this camera, although it is designated as my wife's camera for the most part.
    • 2012 - Olympus E-M5. This replaced my D700. My photography was slowing down with the huge D700 kit -- too much work to lug around with the family. Sold it all and reinvested 100% in m43. E-M5 has been my bread and butter ever since.
    • 2015 - Fuji X-E1. I just bought this, hasn't even arrived yet (and I don't have a lens for it yet). Want to see how Fuji feels since I love their lenses and photo output. Might be a move back to APS-C in my future.
    So, 11 years later, I have slowed down in my camera replacement considerably. What was a primary camera replacement every 1 to 1.5 years is now 2 to 3 years. To be honest the quality of what we have now is such that there are fewer and fewer compelling reasons to upgrade a camera body within the same system year over year. The real temptation for me is switching systems every few years...
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have GAS every time I eat a burrito. :tongue:
    • Like Like x 5
  4. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    One camera, 8 lenses, 2 tripods, 3 bags and bunch of other absolutely essential crap in less than 11 months. No GAS yet though.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    To be honest, looking at your gear list in your signature, you have made some excellent gear choices to begin with, and have your bases well-covered. Wish I had been that smart to start :)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ihateggb

ihateggb Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    New Zealand
    Every time I visit this forum and the image threads.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    I have been reasonably GAS resistant for a while. I am pretty satisfied with what I currently own. I did weaken and bought a second GX7 during the holidays. The majority of my newer gear has been the results of selling or trading older gear in rather than outright purchases.
  8. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    My list is pretty short:

Konica Autoreflex T (first camera every owned, given to me by my mother)
    Canon AE1 (still own)
    Mamiya 645 (still own)
    Mamiya c330 (wish I still owned, sold for the 5D. What a waste :-( )

Canon 10D
    Canon 20D
    Canon 50D
    Canon 5D Mk1
    Canon 7D Mk1
    Nikon V1
    Nikon J1
    Olympus OMD-EM1
    Panasonic GX7
    Sony A7
    Sony A7II

Currently I only own the EM1, GX7 and A7II but something has to go me thinks...
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Under control. Today. No guarantees that will hold true tomorrow :wink:.

I managed to get through the Holidaze without acquiring a Sigma 60mm (next on my prime list).

I've no wish for the new OM-D line, my E-M5 suffices.

I had a brief flirtation with the Panasonic G-7 due to a sudden, brief drop in price last fall but managed to talk myself out of it.

And I'm keeping my lust for the Fuji X-100? down to a low roar - but just barely.

That being said - I have terrible hankering to ditch all of the :43: gear and get a Fuji and call it a day. I've spent more time printing over the last year than I have making photographs and the greater portion of the photos I did make (keepers) were made with the Panasonic 20mm.

Takin' it day by day.

Good thing it's winter, I'm not a cold weather shooter so G.A.S. is low right now (it's 14 degrees Fahrenheit and headed down :mad:).

My gear list can be seen on my profile page.

10. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    My problem is old lenses more than camera bodies.

Since 2011 (film & bridge cameras before that), I've had:

Canon 5D
    Panasonic G2
    Olympus E-M5
    Sony A7

The last two still remain and I haven't seen a need to upgrade.

Lenses on the other hand...that's a whole other issue. I have a huge list of lenses I'm eying, both modern and classic. I buy and sell lenses with some regularity. What's in my signature is solely limited to what I use on the E-M5. There's a whole bunch of others that I use with the A7 (and the 5D before that). The big lens purchases for 2014 were:

Nikon 200mm f/2 Ai-S
    Canon FDn 20-35mm f/3.5L
    Minolta MC 58mm f/1.2
    Contax Zeiss 80-200mm f/4
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    2004: Konica-Minolta Z2 superzoom (4MP and 10x optical zoom - wow!)
    2008: Ricoh R8 (12MP and 7x optical zoom that fits in my pocket? even more wow!)
    2011: Nokia N8 (best smartphone camera ever made, and it works better than my R8?)
    2013: Panasonic GX1 (first interchangeable lens camera!)
    2014: About 8 legacy lenses, mostly cheapies via eBay and 3 new native lenses, mostly bought used locally. Also a new GX7. Also a tripod. Also an Olympus TG-850 tough camera for snorkelling and canoeing.
    2015: Doo-dads for ergonomics on the GX7, and a tilt/pan tripod head.

Looking at the timeline, I'm not doing so well on this G.A.S. thing...

But I'm pretty much sorted now. I promise! Pretty much.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Holidays seasons are always hard for GAS, but I keep resisting and run by motto "best way to save money is not to spend them at all". I slipped on buying Nocticron though, but returned it as I couldn't see myself using such a huge lens. I also was looking towards used EM10 or EM1 as prices dropped considerably, but I want to see what EM5II offers.
  13. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Me -- very frequently unfortunately. I need GAS to fill up my car so I can go to work and shoot and play and hike with my cameras. I need GAS bad and thank god it's getting cheaper now. :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  14. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    anytime an exciting mirrorless kit comes out... good thing i try to limit purchases to US visits for the favorable prices, so that means purchases only 2x a year...and whenever colleagues swing by :D

though the EUR is getting weaker which might throw a curve ball to this plan
  15. Boy777

Boy777 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2014
    I can't remember all of them, my first ones were Toshibas 4, 3300, then Fujies 1200, 1600, some Canons, Olyes, etc. After TZ5 I felt in love with Lumix and now I own 8 cameras - all Panasonics and 1 Olympus.
  16. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    After the 14-35 I have been pretty much happy. Maybe another flash would be nice...

I few years ago I decided not to get back into an ILC. I think I should have stuck with that thought process :smile:
  17. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    I did pretty good this year but the holidays got me. I upgraded the A7 to the mkII and I bought the gx7 on a smokin deal as well as the 20mm 1.7 and the 12-32mm. All in the month of December. Oops.
  18. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    I think I've had 19 maybe 20 digital cameras since I bought me first digital P&S camera in 2001. Lenses? Not sure I want to count actually. :redface:
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    2009: Olympus E-520
    2010: Olympus E-P1
    2013: Olympus E-P3, E-M5
    2014: Olympus E-M5 EB, E-PM1

E-P1, E-M5 EB and E-PM1 still in active duty.

Lenses come and go so frequently I can't remember the years. Mostly my GAS is about lenses.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    The biggest GAS episode I had was The day I sold my Harley and decided to focus on photogrpahy. I had been shooting. I brought home an e-5, ec14 12-60, 50-200, Acratech ballhead, and Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod. Man that was fun to open all at once.

The next memorable attack took about 6 months to subside. It was when I sold most of that gear and replaced it with native m4/3 gear.
    • Like Like x 1