So how did you get into Photography ....

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ashburtononline, Aug 27, 2015.

1. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    What were your 'early" equipment choices and are you as enthused then as now ?

Mine, On holidays in Miami (from Ireland) 30+ years ago .... NO interest in photography but went to a 'Market". fell in love with an OM1 but bought a Canon AE-1. Loved it for a week but then HATED it ....Olympus from them ....Om2n, Om2SP, OM4, OM4ti, all the lenses too ..... Them I went to Nikon for MANY years and now I'm back ...

Greatest Camera EVER ....... Black OM2n ... must buy and take to grave :)

Oh, in between I dabbled in Contax and I shot with Leica SLR for a few years too.

2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I always wanted a "good" camera, but the best I ever had was Ricoh 35mm point and shoot. Then my daughter was born, 10 years ago. We had a digitial Fuji that came free with a printer, but it was a piece of junk. So I bought an early Canon superzoom (S1 IS) then the very good A630. At that point I looked at some DSLRs, and came away with the conclusion that "they are too big and too complicated and too expensive; I have no interest). Not long after I bought a Nikon D40 on eBay and started the steep downhill slide that I am still on today. :)

Lots of experimentation and learning along the way, which is fun to me, although a pretty inefficeint process given tons of gear changes. My only regert is not buying a Nikon D2X and a fast lens or two back in 2005 and really being able to capture the early days with my daughter. Dropping $5k back then on a photography kit was not an obvious choice for me, but those images would be priceless.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Growing up, my dad always brought his camera with him. Birthday parties, family vacations, sporting events, etc. I never understood why he always had to be taking pictures of us wherever we went. Then in 2012, my dad passed away at the age of 54. I was 23 at the time, and lost my best friend (we were both Penn State grads, engineers, similar interests, etc.). All of a sudden, I was so thankful for all of the pictures he took over the years, as it gave me a number of pictures to look back on. I realized the importance of photography at that point, and decided I wanted to buy a nice camera to document similar moments.

I bought a Sony NEX-6, 18-55 & 55-210 lens. Initially I really liked the camera, but as I learned more about photography, the more I began thinking that the NEX system wasn't right for me (limited lens selection, not a whole lot of support from Sony, the camera lacked some features I wanted). So I sold my NEX-6 & lenses (about 2 weeks before Sony announced the first A7, talk about good timing), and used those funds to buy my first m43 camera, the Panasonic G6. From there, I bought nicer lenses (Panasonic f/2.8 zooms, PanaLeica primes, etc.), and upgraded my G6's to two GH4's.

Earlier this year, my wife and I went to London, England for a week for our honeymoon, and I brought my camera stuff with me. It's trips like those that make me glad I purchased a "good" camera, because those are images and memories that my wife and I will always be able to look back on. It just sucks that I had to lose my father in order to see the importance of photography.

• Like Like x 5
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  4. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    Started with a 6mpx Fuji point n shoot for travel. Then a friend said "why don't you get a real camera and come to work with me shooting real estate". Bought a Pentax K10 and sigma 10-20mm and started a hobby that paid for itself. After several Pentax upgrades I quit working and started photographing wildlife. Got tired of "large" cameras, sold all my gear and and switched to m43. I'm finding the camera that gives me the most fun/surprises is the GM1. Take it anywhere and it hardly gets noticed (even tho it's blue)

5. db96

db96 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2012
    Central Indiana
    Took photography a couple of years in 4-H because we had a family friend who was big into photography. (Truth be told, it was probably a 110 camera or maybe that one that had the discs)

Husband bought me the first Canon Rebel out....never really learned how to use it and got tired of lugging around the huge kit. Sold it and went back to point and shoot.

Took a trip to New Port, Rhode Island with my Panasonic point and shoot (which really took pretty good photos) and got bit by the photography bug again. In my research for a "good" camera, I learned about Micro 4/3. Most importantly was the intro to photography class I took from Indy Photo Coach. Got me going in the right direction!

6. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    I was more or less born into it. My dad was an amateur photographer with a darkroom in the basement. I grew up with it and began taking the occasional pic with Dad's encouragement not long after I began to walk. A I grew up, I read his camera magazines the way most kids read comic books. My first camera was a Kodak Vest Pocket Autographic (127 film) that had been my grandfather's (another long time amateur). I didn't buy a new camera until the 9th grade (Miranda G). Prior to that, I had used a succession of my dad's cameras, including a Kodak Vigilante 620 (f/4.5 version) that I had put back into service by repairing the shutter. All told, that adds up to slightly over 60 years of photography.

• Like Like x 1
  7. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    My earliest recollection of photography was when I was about 8 years old and my dad would let me take a few shots here and there with his Canon Canonet G-III QL17 (which he still owns to this day). By the time I entered middle school, I got a 110 film camera and when I entered high school, my first SLR. Shot sporadically for a few years and then in college bought a Canon EOS 650 (film) along with an Olympus Stylus compact film camera and started shooting regularly. While the AF and automatic film advance and rewind were novel features, I actually missed the physical interaction with the camera and went back to a traditional Nikon mechanical body.

In 2000, I bought my first DSLR, a Canon D30, followed by the D60, then a 10D. Right around the time of the 10D, I started to miss shooting film again and started buying up various Nikon and Canon bodies, both for use and for collecting purposes, but pretty much stuck with the Nikon bodies as workhorses. The last Nikon body being the FM3a which also happens to be my favorite Nikon film body. At this point, I also started becoming interested in Contax Zeiss lenses and bought two Contax Aria bodies along with Contax/Zeiss 28, 35, 50 (1.4 and 1.7) as well as an 85 and for awhile I was shooting two systems, Nikon and Contax. My feelings toward the Contax Aria bodies were indifferent but I did love the Contax/Zeiss lenses.

After the Canon 20D was released, I bought one and shot with it until 2009 when the Canon 5D Mk.II replaced it. The same year, I also purchased my first serious compact camera, the Ricoh GR Digital III which I still own and use to this very day.

Last year, bought my first m43 camera, an Olympus OM-D E-M1 and loved the compact size and overall IQ. The same year, also picked up a mint condition used Fujifilm X100 and also love it. This past year, bought an OM-D E-M5 Mk.II to replace the E-M1 as well as my GF who knowing that I loved the X100, bought me my X100T and WCL-X100 wide conversion lens for my birthday. Lastly, sold my Canon 5D Mk.II which marks the first time I've been without a DSLR since buying my first one 15 years ago.

These days, I'm deeply rooted to Olympus/Fujifilm/Ricoh cameras and that there is my holy trinity.

• Like Like x 2
  8. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    From a very early age I have been intrigued by small functional cameras such as this metal Crystar camera which was not much larger than a matchbox and was sold in the souvenir stores located in most tourist traps in the early 1950’s. I pestered my parents and somehow, probably just to shut me up, they let me get one. We later found out that getting the film developed was an almost insurmountable challenge and placed an intolerable drain on the meager family finances so that camera disappeared but I never forgot it. Pentax001.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  9. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    My mother was a photographer, all film using mainly the OM series (OM1 was king for motordrive, OM2n was a pretty amazing camera... very little even today can match it's off the film metering, especially for flash). Mainly did rally/motorsport photography and wore out many a body with motor drives doing so, also did some music photography etc. She had basically quit by the time digital came around for a more professional line of work, I inherited her film equipment and picked up some digital along the way.

I still have all of her film equipment, many of the bodies really should just be thrown out as they're so completely trashed internally from motordrive use that they no longer function as picture capturing devices. I have an OM-4Ti which is by far the most far gone I've ever seen, the shutter speed dial can spin 360 degrees and gives random readouts (doesn't work), the metering is missing LCD segments and is completely inaccurate as it cannot tell lens aperture, the electronic shutter control doesn't function at all and it's very far gone cosmetically... yet the 1/60th mechanical shutter still seems to function. I'm holding onto most of it more for memories and spare parts sake than actual use.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    I'm not sure when photography really "clicked" with me, but from an early age I remember my parents always having a 35mm point-n-shoot with them, and playing with cheap 110 film cameras in the late 1980's. Getting the prints back from processing was always something special, even of the photos were of poor quality. I was mesmerized by National Geographic magazine, just the quality of the images and the story those images told. Photos have always been a part of family events, too, always capturing the few times everyone could gather at one place.

In the mid-late 1990's I got an Olympus digital camera and slowly started making photography a major part of life. Eventually I found myself carrying the camera with me everywhere. In college I took a technical photography course, which only fueled the fire.

I didn't make the jump to m4/3 until later when I realized my iPhone 4 was outgunning the Panasonic super zoom I was shooting with... M4/3 was a logical choice: small, interchangeable lenses, and high image quality for the price.

11. rocky

rocky Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2012
    Kapolei, HI/Walnut Creek, CA
    Greg
    I started in photography when I found my father's Leica M3 in the closet. It was wrapped in a towel and in the original leather case. I asked him about the camera and he said that my mom bought it for him on their fifth wedding anniversary in 1957. He showed me how to load it; take meter readings with his Weston light meter and adjust the shutter speed and aperture settings. He let me use the camera regularly until I could buy my own camera, a Minolta SRT101 with a 50mm f/1.4 Rokkor. I worked for many years as a commercial photographer shooting primarily industrial photos and catalog work, mostly product stuff. I left the industry and didn't pick up a camera again until I bought a Panasonic point and shoot digital about 12 years ago.

• Like Like x 2
  12. ThereAndBackAgain

ThereAndBackAgain Fighting GAS

May 26, 2014
    North Devon, England
    David
    I was 10 years old and only wanted a bicycle speedometer for my birthday. What I got was a Brownie 127 and a roll of film. I was ecstatic as it was completely unexpected. I took all 8 shots in two days and waited for my father to have the film processed, which he didn't do.............. With all the patience of a 10-year-old I badgered him but he hung it out until the following Sunday when the parish priest came for lunch as he did every week. This time however he had an old fishing bag full of mysteries - a dev tank, changing bag, smelly chemicals and all sorts. He showed me how to process my own negs and the following Sunday we printed them using "printing out paper" (how many do that nowadays?). This is how addictions are born and how they remain strong after 50 years.

• Like Like x 2
  13. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I got into photography in my childhood with... disposable cameras! :rolleyes:

After I struggled along for awhile with those, my parents took pity on me and gave me a 2MP Olympus P&S with 3X optical zoom. I used the crap out of that camera and its soft images (though they had "Olympus colors" even back then), and eventually when it stopped being dependable, I went awhile without using a camera much, until I saved up and brought a brand new Nikon D40 with kit lens in 2005. The only other lens I ever purchased for it was a 50mm f/1.8, which I had to manually focus. Looking back, I wish I had purchased a D50 instead.

I had the D40 for many years, until I stumbled across a GF3 kit on clearance at WalMart. Bought it on a whim with only a little hearsay knowledge about mirrorless camera systems. From there, well, six camera bodies later I am pretty happy within the M4/3 world!

14. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The D70 (roughly the same generation) was and still is an absolutely awesome camera, it could flash sync at any speed as it used a full frame transfer CCD sensor (aka global shutter) as it's shutter. I wish global shutters were available on newer generations of camera as it made possible shots which you just cannot do without the high sync.

I look fondly back on many of the CCD sensored cameras, however I'm not blind to their age and thus reliability compared to modern designs.

15. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    Found a Kodak brownie 127 lying around at home when I was about 3 and spent months taking photos of family etc, It didn't have a film, it was just the process of pointing it and saying 'say cheese' that fascinated me. Then I got an Ilford Sportsman 135 when I was 18 and owned a Praktica, Zenit, couple of Canons etc before I got hooked on digital in the early 2000's.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  16. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Got a Kodak Brownie in 1958 as a Christmas gift, it used 127 roll film, that was the start for me. Later on I got Praktica 35mm camera I can't remember the model though too long ago.

17. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I totally agree about CCD sensors, that 6MP D40 sensor made amazing images. I toy with the idea of re-purchasing a used D40X on eBay quite often. I imagine a D70 might be even cheaper, though perhaps really hard to find.

18. Kalifornier

Kalifornier Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 29, 2014
    California
    Backpacking. The more I backpacked/hiked and saw of the amazing nature, the more I wanted to capture it. After a while, the Lumix P&S simply wouldn't do. So bought a used Lumix G3/20 1.7 combo and gave in to the creative addiction ;)
    Because weight is an important consideration while backpacking, the light m43 setup was perfect! I don't backpack so much these days and I've moved onto newer models but the addiction is hard to get rid off.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  19. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I've looked at getting one again however the problem I always run into is batteries, they stopped producing them so long ago that the batteries are all pretty ancient.

20. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    same journey, different continent, and I beat you by 10 years.