So Has Anyone Dropped Or Damaged An EPL1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SCT, Jun 9, 2011.

1. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    Just curious on how much the EPL1 can take if dropped or something. Fortunately, that hasn't happend to me (KNOCK ON WOOD, REAL WOOD).

Took it to the beach and was too concerned about sand and saltwater getting to the image sensor and elsewhere on the camera. I managed to overcome the fear and took several shots anyways. Got queezy when I stood in the waters to photograph my friend wakeboarding.
  2. shoturtle

Oct 15, 2010
    not drop but mine get bang around allot with all the traveling. And I take it to the beach all the time, not worries about sand or salt water. Just take a simple precautions when change lens to put your back to the wind, and kept the sensor facing down during lens swaps. And if you are worry about the lend, get a good haze or ND filter when shooting at the beach, it will protect and warm the shot with the harsh sun.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I busted the LCD on my E-P1 after about 2 years of service. I want to get one of those hard plastic LCD protectors for my E-PL2, but don't know where to go about finding one locally.
  4. Covey22

Covey22 Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2011
    New England, USA
    Ned - I picked up a Giottos 2.7" on Amazon - even with shipping, it was very reasonable. It's Schott glass - very crystal clear but also very protective. Easy to put on to boot.
  5. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 28, 2010
    The beautiful northwest Georgia mountains
    Dave Jenkins
    Dropped my E-PL1 on a tile floor from about four feet. Repair cost $175 and I'm not sure the flash works properly in all modes.
  6. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    I am hard on cameras, dragging them around on adventure trips. I have learned to always buy the extended warranty for these fragile and costly gadgets.

After sending my Nikon D90 for repair a couple of years ago because of a broken LCD, I got one of these for it: Delkin Devices DND90-P Nikon D90 Pop-Up Shade (Black): Camera & Photo

It works well both as a protector and a sunshade for the screen. But it adds bulk. I also put on "Camera Armor:" Camera Armor Protective Case for Nikon D90 (Black): Camera & Photo

These would be awkward on the little pens. Delkin does make one of these pop-up protectors for 3" screens, but I think it would look wrong on the little camera, and might not fit with the buttons on the back. When I got the E-P2, I put this on it: GGS DSLR LCD Optical Glass Screen Protector for Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-P2 Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

It works well as a solid glass screen protector and is hardly noticeable in place. It does not add any bulk to the camera. It has held up well over six months of use.