1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

So E-M1 is kicking other APS-C for high-iso

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ntblowz, Sep 10, 2013.

1. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Except Fuji X-trans

Compare to E-M5/GX7
    2013-09-10_195009.

2. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    The pics don't work...

3. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Pretty good comparison. Actually I was expecting gx7 to be better

Sent from my M040 using Tapatalk 4

4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Lets talk when we have raw files available to compare... I'm not doubting that its very close, maybe as good, but I'm not buying any broad conclusions from jpegs either...

-Ray

5. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    I supposed these were RAW comparisons, with the E-M1 files being converted using Olympus Viewer or similar software. Am I wrong?

6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I think they usually use SOOC jpegs and then eventually add raw comparisons once raw files are supported by Adobe and/or Apple. I could be wrong, but I doubt the folks at DPR are wrestling with every manufacturer's included raw processing software...

-Ray

7. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    If you check here:

Olympus E-M1 First Impressions Review: Digital Photography Review

and switch between JPEG and RAW on the drop down list, you'll see major differences (JPEGs are generally softer, certainly heavy NR added, etc). This is why I supposed the "RAW" option represents direct conversions from in camera RAW files.

8. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    so tempting...should I go with E-M1 instead of GX7?

9. Faceinthecrowd

Faceinthecrowd Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Wondering the same thing...

10. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    As a JPEG shooter the images from ISO 200-6400 look soft in comparison to the E-M5. The RAW files look pretty good, though.

11. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    The DPR jpegs are showing lots of softness too in JPEG. I'm not sure why Oly would apply more NR than the E-M5 at similar settings. I'm not interested in the camera per-se anyways, I just hope the technology trickles down.

12. Luger718

Luger718 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Same, One big feature I wanted was focus peaking on manual lenses and according to TheCameraStoreTV it isnt available on manual lenses only on lenses with electrical contacts.

Edit: Nvm, according to a comment on 43rumors you have to assign the function to a button for it to work with manual lenses

13. hookgrip

hookgrip Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2013
    Eh, I wouldn't say it kicks APS-C butt. D7100 clearly looks better, which is not surprising considering the bigger sensor. Looking at JPEG results isn't meaningful due to differences in in-camera NR. The RAW comparisons show the E-M1 as being similar to the E-M5, but a bit sharper due to the AA filter removal (and a little less purple fringing, maybe due to lens used or improved in-camera correction?)

D7100 is also 50% more megapixels, so keep in mind that if it was downsized to the same 16MP as the E-M1, it would look even better in comparison. The same holds true of the D800...at a pixel level it may not be super great at high ISO, but you have so many megapixels to work with in terms of downsizing.

ISO 1600
    E-M1ISO1600RAW.PNG

E-M1ISO3200RAW.PNG

E-M1ISO12800RAW.PNG

Attached Files:

14. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    How's it compare to the Fuji X-Trans sensors (which are APS-C)?

15. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
  16. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Actually, the X-PRO1 kicks the E-M1's butt in RAW at ISO 3200 as I suspected. It also kicks the others (I won't count the E-M5).

The X-PRO1 image appears slightly less sharp, but it's the "grain effect" of the noise in the others. When you denoise them to the level the X-PRO1 is already, they will look awful by comparison. Whereas you can apply sharpening to the X-PRO1 and it's lack of noise will give you a great image.

Pay particular attention to the shadow noise. Very telling.

Attached Files:

17. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Idle question.. why do these tests always keep the same iso levels, and not seem to test at optimum native iso levels? Especially if, we consider looking for optimum noise reduction at pixel levels, we should be smart enough to be using native iso's. Right?

18. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    If we are looking for HIGH ISO performance comparatively between systems, why would we not do it this way? I don't understand your "native ISO" term.

19. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Probably that's because Fuji is employing noise-reduction in the RAW files. The other question is what conversion software the E-M1 is using. Traditionally, Olympus has employed different levels of NR in their own software on different models (including when NR is disabled).

In short - it's hard to compare RAW noise at high ISOs without knowing the conversion settings.

20. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Native iso. where your camera operates at it's best and natively. EG: 5d mkii iso around 160 are pushed and pulled from that iso until you then hit 320. The further from that 160 point to your next native iso will have more noise. Push and pulled from there till you get to 640. then 1260. because of that, iso 1260 has less noise than iso200.

Canon 5d Native ISO Test - Empty Bucket Studios

a decent article on the 5dii natives as an example.